Does anyone plan on NOT watching the conventions?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
The Democrats claim their convention won't be a platform for bashing the opposition. I don't think either party is capable of refraining from bashing, any more than Mike Tyson is capable of not chewing off his opponents' ears.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Originally posted by Sharon
Why would I want to watch them?

You could hook up the old nintendo duck hunt gun and pretend its a Glok. I get first dibs on Gore though.

SamSpade

I'm still wondering why even the Democrats will be watching.

There's no Mario Cuomo to inspire; probably only Bill Clinton has the charisma to make anything interesting to listen to. I think that maybe one of Hillary's most annoying traits is that shrill voice delivered in monotone.

There is no anticipation - no close balloting. There's no announcement of a VP. It's all done already.

It's like getting up early to light the tree, when you already opened all the presents on Christmas Eve. What's the damned point? Just get some sleep.

Plus, just about anything imaginable on TV is more interesting. It was one thing when there were three networks and they all covered it all week long. Now I have hundreds of alternatives to watch, and honestly, the Weather Channel is more interesting.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
I won't watch either party's convention. Mostly because I just don't see the point of it in a modern technological society. It just seems like a big "party" party before the campaign.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Well, I'll be the political geek and admit that I will be watching as much as possible, of both conventions. Hearing it from the horses' (or jackasses') mouths is better than getting the coverage from left- or right-spinmeisters. This way, we won't have to continue the arguments about CNN said one thing and Fox News said another. When Kerry or Edwards or Gore or Clinton or Clinton or Heinz or whoever says something, I'll be able to say "I heard it myself." :)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Steve
I will be watching as much as possible, of both conventions.

Have fun and play the game. I'll see if I can find a list for the Democratic convention too. :lol:

The Republican National Convention Drinking Game

Take one drink if/when:

1) Someone says “freedom”
2) Someone says “terror” or “terrorists”
3) Someone says “tyranny”
4) Someone says “liberal” or “democrat” as if it means “#######”
5) Someone says “flip-flop”
6) Someone says “Ronald Reagan”
7) Someone cries during the Reagan tribute. Take 2 drinks if that person appears too young to have remembered Reagan’s presidency.
8) A picture of Reagan is shown in conjunction with an American flag
9) A person of color appears on the screen. Two if that person is not J.C. Watts, Colin Powell, or Condoleeza Rice. Three every time the camera returns to the not-J.C. Watts-person. Three drinks if pictures of happy Iraqi children are shown. Four drinks if the happy Iraqi children are shown with happy American soldiers.
10) Bush does that head-bob/nod thing. Take two drinks if he winks.
11) Someone says “war”
12) A picture of a soldier is shown.
13) A moment of silence is given to dead soldiers.
14) Someone says something has been done “for the Children”
15) Someone says “resolve”
16) Someone says “fear”
17) Someone says “evil”
18) Someone says “leader”
19) Someone says “prosperity”
20) Someone says “recovery”
21) Someone says “economy” or “economic”
22) Someone says “new beginning”
23) Someone says “enemies”
24) Someone says “ruthless”
25) Someone says “hate”
26) Someone says “responsible”
27) Someone says 9/11
28) Someone says “twin towers”
29) A picture of the World Trade Center is shown
30) Someone says “national security”
31) Someone says “America is safer”
32) Drink the entire bottle if Cheney says “####.” Then go out and get another bottle. Drink it, too. Then strip naked and run through the streets with “Streakers for Dean” written in sharpie on your ass.
33) Someone says “propose”
34) Someone says “honor”
35) Someone says “dignity”
36) Someone says “allies”
37) Someone says “regime” or “regime change”
38) Someone says “Saddam Hussein”
39) Someone says “madman”
40) Video of the Hussein statue being pulled down is shown

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Democratic National Convention Drinking Game

Take one drink if/when:

1) Anyone says “this administration”
2) Anyone says “miserable failure”
3) Anyone says “arrogant”
4) Anyone says “terrorism”
5) Anyone says “fear”
6) Anyone says “Kerry/Edwards” and it sounds like someone named “Carrie Edwards”
7) Anyone says “new”
8) Anyone says “change”
9) Anyone says “ya’ll”
10) Anyone says “international”
11) Anyone says “world opinion”
12) Bill Clinton laughs to himself
13) Take three drinks if Bill Clinton gives a two hour speech
14) Bill Clinton does that thing where he purses his bottom lip and looks kind of pouty
15) Al Gore turns into Angry Al™ and makes his voice all gravelly and yells
16) Howard Dean does The Rebel Yell™
17) A rock song is played
18) The camera focuses on a famous non-politician
19) Someone says “teachers”
20) Someone says “education”
21) Someone says “children”
22) Any of the speakers pounds on the podium
23) Any of the speakers points
24) Bill Clinton says “you know” or “well”
25) Anyone says “WMD”
26) Anyone says “Iraq”
27) Anyone says “scandal”
28) Anyone says “two Americas”
29) Anyone says “big business”
30) Anyone says “Enron”
31) Anyone says “Halliburton”
32) Anyone makes a reference to the 2000 election
33) Take two drinks if anyone asks “are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?”
34) Take two drinks if Bill Clinton says anything along the lines of “we need a world with more friends and fewer terrorists”
35) Someone says “this president”
36) Someone says “George Bush”
37) Someone says “Crawford”
38) Someone says “Texas”
39) The delegates from Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, Michigan or Oregon are shown on screen. Twice for each time after the first.
40) Four drinks if anyone refers to the Kerry/Edwards ticket as “the Johns”
41) Someone says “union” (i.e. trade union)
42) Someone says “patriot act”
43) The camera cuts to Bill Clinton for a reaction
44) Footage of protesters outside the building is shown. Two drinks for each time they are referenced/shown
45) Anyone says “Boston”

45) Special Fox News rule #1: Two drinks if they actually cover the convention
46) Special Fox News rule #2: Two drinks if Fox interrupts its coverage
47) Special Fox News rule #3: Two drinks if any commentators make fun of any speaker or attendee

Moxick

Re: Democratic National Convention Drinking Game

Originally posted by Sharon
Take one drink if/when:

1) Anyone says “this administration”
2) Anyone says “miserable failure”
3) Anyone says “arrogant”
4) Anyone says “terrorism”
5) Anyone says “fear”

What about quagmire?

Or would that make the player too drunk too fast to enjoy the game?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
I have my new Republican sound bite to repeat everywhere to get attention to the republican campaign. I have found saying, "I am for big oil" doesn't work even though its a vital part of our economy. So, I have just found something easier on the lips.

I AM FOR BIG BUSH!

I think it makes the point in a simple way. Doesn't big bush sound better on your lips?

Moxick

Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
How about a drink for each time a reporter mentions the appalling state of the restroom facilities? There are several articles on the topic already/

HAH!

Maybe the media should go home if they don't like it.

But then again.....

I guess they figure that since this is the Democratic National Convention, that incessant whining and mewling will get some money thrown at the problem.

Unfortunately, they'll spend money on the problem and more money, and more money, but the bathrooms will never seem to improve.

But at least the media will be quiet about it.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Originally posted by Tonio
FromTexas, that sounds a little like a joke Whoopi Goldberg might have told.

Why? Does she like Bush, too?

I could care less what Woopie said. They have their fun, and we can have ours. I doubt she said she was for him, though.

:biggrin:

rraley

Originally posted by SamSpade
I'm still wondering why even the Democrats will be watching.

There's no Mario Cuomo to inspire; probably only Bill Clinton has the charisma to make anything interesting to listen to. I think that maybe one of Hillary's most annoying traits is that shrill voice delivered in monotone.

I watched the convention last night from 8 until 11 and I was very interested to hear from President Clinton (of course I always am), but I was also interested to hear from President Carter. I thought that Carter's speech was perhaps the best last night. Hillary didn't do a terrible job, but as you, I really never put too high a price on her speaking abilities anyway. I'm just waiting for Senate candidate Barack Obama to speak tonight and Senator Edwards on Wednesday.

Now, Sam, if you say that the Democrats don't have anybody interesting to speak, then please provide some Republican names that you think are interesting. Dick Cheney has no charisma at all, President Bush bumbles over his words sometimes and looks unnatural when he tries to speak seriously, Arnie isn't the best-versed speaker of English. I can think of two speakers that are worth listening to: Mayor Guiliani and Senator McCain, but besides that niltch.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Tonio
FromTexas, that sounds a little like a joke Whoopi Goldberg might have told.

:killingme: Very Clever!!!

:clap: You made me laugh out loud at work!!!!

:killingme:

:roflmao: