Esperanza Lanes

PeoplesElbow

I heard that Esperanza lanes filed a complaint with the Navy about it's bowling alley stealing it's business.

Dave, the base bowling alley didn't steal your customers you drove them away with:

1) Old outdated equipment that is always breaking down
2) Not maintaining your wooden alleys by having them sanded and flattened every year like a good bowling alley does, this destroys peoples expensive bowling balls and makes no serious bowler want to bowl there
3) The dirty bathrooms that are always the temperature of a meat locker, but given the filth in them I suppose it keeps the stink down
4) Your over priced fees, food, and drinks, you charge prices that a good bowling alley would charge, only your bowling alley is the Big Lots of bowling alleys
5) Your carpet is the dirtiest thing in St Marys county, the pad on the bottom of my right bowling shoe was black after just replacing it 4 weeks earlier
6) Your lack of a proshop
7) Pissing off all the potential customers for fear that their car will be towed while doing business with Hewitts.

There are quite a few people in St Marys that would rather drive to Prince Frederick or Waldorf for a league.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Can't wait to see if this is true and if it gets some play in the Emptyprize, letters to the editor should be priceless.
Hey, it was the chain restaurants that drove Lenny's into bankruptcy, right?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I drive by there almost every day and did not realize they were still in operation.

SoMdDude

I don't live down that way, but if I did, sounds like a place I would never go to... hell I live in Waldorf but drive to Virginia to bowl my league lol (BA Edsall Rd) I freaking hate THAT place!

awpitt

Main Streeter
I heard that Esperanza lanes filed a complaint with the Navy about it's bowling alley stealing it's business.

Heard from who?

After all these years, why would they file a complaint now? It not as though MWR just opened a new bowling alley. Doesn't add up.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe some league or other moved from his lanes to the base lanes? Have not been in there since my now 20 year old daughter was I think 12, but it was a dump back then. I don't know bowling, but I know clean.

bilbur

I did the youth bowling league from the age of 7 to 18 and the place always had a rundown feel. It was much better though when they had the arcade there. I was shocked to hear they don't do the youth bowling on Saturdays anymore. It was always popular and crowded back in my day. I guess it could have been to lack of interest but I find that hard to believe since there are over twice as many kids in the area now. It is a shame, I always looked forward to bowling league on Saturdays.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I did the youth bowling league from the age of 7 to 18 and the place always had a rundown feel. It was much better though when they had the arcade there. I was shocked to hear they don't do the youth bowling on Saturdays anymore. It was always popular and crowded back in my day. I guess it could have been to lack of interest but I find that hard to believe since there are over twice as many kids in the area now. It is a shame, I always looked forward to bowling league on Saturdays.
That would be something for the under-21 crowd to do. Like you, I remember going with a friend on a Saturday or Sunday, just to have something to do that wasn't destructive or involve wandering the neighborhood after dark, like some of the kids do now.

H

Hodr

Dave, the base bowling alley didn't steal your customers you drove them away with:

1) Old outdated equipment that is always breaking down
2) Not maintaining your wooden alleys by having them sanded and flattened every year like a good bowling alley does, this destroys peoples expensive bowling balls and makes no serious bowler want to bowl there
3) The dirty bathrooms that are always the temperature of a meat locker, but given the filth in them I suppose it keeps the stink down
4) Your over priced fees, food, and drinks, you charge prices that a good bowling alley would charge, only your bowling alley is the Big Lots of bowling alleys
5) Your carpet is the dirtiest thing in St Marys county, the pad on the bottom of my right bowling shoe was black after just replacing it 4 weeks earlier
6) Your lack of a proshop
7) Pissing off all the potential customers for fear that their car will be towed while doing business with Hewitts.

There are quite a few people in St Marys that would rather drive to Prince Frederick or Waldorf for a league.

I was an avid bowler when I moved here in '09. Not knowing anyone local,or belonging to any clubs or anything else I knew I had one surefire way to fit in and make some new friends (outside of work anyways).

The bowling alley immediately turned me off, but I figured I would give it a shot. Not only was it way overpriced compared to what I was used to, on my first visit both of the balls I brought were damaged. I haven't been back since.

I then tried twice to get in with a league on the base, but no-one appeared to have need of a single high average bowler. So I gave up and tried some new hobbies.

Maybe I should try again; I'm sure 6 years without ever touching my equipment should have shaved a few points from my average giving me an unintentional sandbag for the first season back.

sm8

I've only gone to take my kids for birthday parties but every time I have been I felt uncomfortable. The past 2 times the employee was arguing with the customer in front of me over something stupid while I was waiting for shoes. Then proceeded to mock or laugh about them with the other employee after they walked away. Just didn't feel very professional on top of the cleanliness vs price.

Dukesdad

That place has been a $hit hole for years. Dave is a rude SOB and drives out more business than the base ever will.

PeoplesElbow

Heard from who?

After all these years, why would they file a complaint now? It not as though MWR just opened a new bowling alley. Doesn't add up.

Everyone that bowls on base now is asked to sign a form with some info whether or not they are active military, retired military, DOD, contractor or a guest. This is the supposed reason behind it.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Everyone that bowls on base now is asked to sign a form with some info whether or not they are active military, retired military, DOD, contractor or a guest. This is the supposed reason behind it.

I still don't get why they are filing (or supposedly filing) a complaint? All businesses have competition. How would they (Esperanza) know who's going on base to bowl? Do they release the list or something?

Restitution

I can attest to this. I recently attended a birthday party at the Base bowling facility and the host had to go around and ask everyone (and I mean everyone.. even the kids) for their names and their association (DOD, Guest, etc.)

The desk attendant said it was because Esperanza Lanes complained/filed a suit against the base bowling alley complaining that they were "stealing business" from them. I have been in Esperanza Lanes 2 times. I agree with PE..... their potential business is NOT being stolen!

awpitt

Main Streeter

Still not seeing the connection as to why Esperanza Lanes would file a complaint. If that's true, who would they file the complaint with? The bowling police?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Still not seeing the connection as to why Esperanza Lanes would file a complaint. If that's true, who would they file the complaint with? The bowling police?

I agree. How is the base stealing their clientele? Can just anyone off the street use the bowling alley? Don't you have to be a guest of someone with base privileges? We have a right to choose and if Esperanza doesn't like it then they can shut it down or actually improve the place so people will enjoy going there.