Boat bottom painting

Looking for someone to sand and paint the bottom of our boat this year. Have checked with boat yards in lower St. Mary's and Calvert but prices are pretty high. 23' fishing boat on trailer.

Thanks

wubbles

Have a friend that is SCUBA certified that can do it. Will you pay for the O2 while he is painting?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Looking for someone to sand and paint the bottom of our boat this year. Have checked with boat yards in lower St. Mary's and Calvert but prices are pretty high. 23' fishing boat on trailer.

Thanks

Cather Marine.

And yes..prices are gonna be high..period. Because all..ALL..of the marinas that do that work now have to filter, recover and send off site for disposal, what they strip off the bottoms of boats. I spend over 2 grand a year on the bottom service for my boats...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Have a friend that is SCUBA certified that can do it. Will you pay for the O2 while he is painting?

Sands and paints underwater, eh? Pretty amazing. What is he using for the paint?

Is that even a legal "bypass" ?

Sands and paints underwater, eh? Pretty amazing. What is he using for the paint?

Is that even a legal "bypass" ?

You can scrape, but not paint, fer sure. BUT.... the boat is on a trailer...... :biggrin:

A 24' boat on a trailer isn't a big deal, it's def a DYI job. Powerwash first, quick scrape, mask and paint.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You can scrape, but not paint, fer sure. BUT.... the boat is on a trailer...... :biggrin:

A 24' boat on a trailer isn't a big deal it's def a DYI job. Powerwash first, quick scrape, mask and paint.

But NOT at a marina. You can only bypass the new laws by DYI. To be clear... And the "quick scrape.."..LMAO..I spent 12 hours to scrape and sand the excessive overburden off the bottom of a 24' Carolina recently...

Boat painting

Cather Marine.

And yes..prices are gonna be high..period. Because all..ALL..of the marinas that do that work now have to filter, recover and send off site for disposal, what they strip off the bottoms of boats. I spend over 2 grand a year on the bottom service for my boats...

Yeah, I forgot about the recovery costs and disposal. Was quoted a marina price of >$1500!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah, I forgot about the recovery costs and disposal. Was quoted a marina price of >$1500!

Oh shoot..no..that's very high. Last time I had my 32' cruiser done, it was only a grand for hauling, washing, sanding, and paint. A 24' shouldn't be that much over 5-600. I'd give Cather Marine a call...or Tall Timbers.

Not everyone has the means and place to get a 24' boat off a trailer and on stands to do that bottom work.

True. I used to clean and paint around the trailer contact points, then hook the stern of the boat to a tree and ease it back a few feet on the trailer, then finish the unfinished spots.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
True. I used to clean and paint around the trailer contact points, then hook the stern of the boat to a tree and ease it back a few feet on the trailer, then finish the unfinished spots.

I have to maintain 3 Carolina skiffs, 21'-24'. No way to do even a half-arsed job of cleaning and painting the bottom of those while on the trailer.

I built a lift frame just to hang them for bottom maintenance.

Smith

If you keep your boat on a trailer, there is no need for bottom paint in the first place, unless you plan on leaving in a slip for an extended period of time.

Hannibal

Flag Harbor Marina (St. Leonard) does good work it seems. $60/hr to vacuum sand and $11.50/ft plus paint and materials per their website.