Sirius radio help

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I have a Sirius radio on a home docking station. It's all hooked up, has power and the antenna is placed near the window. Occasionally the audio will stop for a second or so. Then the sound comes back only to go silent 5 - 10 seconds later. Is this an antenna placement issue? Other than this little annoying occurrence, it works great.

Sounds like antenna placement. Your antenna should be facing south or SSW. You may be able to get signal off of one of the older satellites with just a west facing view, but it can be spotty.

Sat antennas need to be in direct line of sight to the satellite with no obstacles. It's not like a radio antenna. Like said it needs an unobstructed view of the south sky.

glhs837

Power with Control
If by home you mean the complex Vrai lives in, then I know that my Jeeps sat radio cuts in and out when driving in front of Giant and Target, so I'll take placement for 500 Alex. From that, it looks like directly west is the issue, not south Which this diagram seems the bear out. The Sirius ones are not geostationary like the XM ones and the DirectV ones are. Those, that southern view matters, but not with Sirius/

http://www.tiger-usa.com/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

Monello

PREMO Member
If by home you mean the complex Vrai lives in, then I know that my Jeeps sat radio cuts in and out when driving in front of Giant and Target, so I'll take placement for 500 Alex. From that, it looks like directly west is the issue, not south Which this diagram seems the bear out. The Sirius ones are not geostationary like the XM ones and the DirectV ones are. Those, that southern view matters, but not with Sirius/

http://www.tiger-usa.com/sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

We are over is Solomons with lots of room around us. There are a few scattered trees but not much else.

hitchicken

I know it's a long shot, but a location in Solomons could put your angle to the satellites in the direct line of one of NATC's active approach runways. Helicopters and aircraft frequently come and go. Do you notice air traffic when you lose signal?

stew77

It is antenna placement.. I have a home unit in my big living room and when the antenne gets knocked off (occasionally by the cord on vacuum or because window is open to blowing wind) and my wife puts it back where she "assumes" it goes, I have the same problems. I then have to "readjust it" accordingly. Same with the antenna for Sirus/XM I have for the bedroom. I really have considered putting it in a ziploc bag and placing it outside against the side of the house with velcro! That way it would not move?? Our trials and trubulations (?) we have to deal with...

Idunno

Sirius does have the app you can put on your phone/tablet/computer that works via wifi....you have to pay for the service of course. Connect the device with USB, dock or bluetooth to a speaker bar and away you go. No need for sat connection.

Monello

PREMO Member
I now have Siruis on the computer. We listen to the 70s channel occasionally. Having grow up during that time, some of those songs trigger memories. Then the often play a B type song. 1 that got some air time but wasn't considered a hit. You hear those songs and think how long it's been since you last heard it. Isn't the internet fascinating?

glhs837

Power with Control
Six presets on the wifes Jeep Sirus front page. Classic Rock (think cassette), Classic Vinyl (Records and eight tracks), then Z100 out of I think New York, and whatever the top pop station is in LA, Fox Talk, and Urban View.