Metcom rasing rates again???

imaref

Ok, Metcom is completely out of control. They are having a hearing April 7th about raising rates AGAIN. The county commishes need to put a stop to their inept management.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Ok, Metcom is completely out of control. They are having a hearing April 7th about raising rates AGAIN. The county commishes need to put a stop to their inept management.

If this is the article you read http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0416/metcomproposesraisingratesagain.html it's ####tily written piece.

Having said that, and not knowing details about MetCom and its rates, everyone in the state on sewer is in for years of rate hikes from now on. Some of that is the capital cost of building the mandated ENR (Enhanced Nutrient Reduction) systems and some is the increased cost to operate those systems once they're operational. That's aside from some of the problems from the article.

Chris0nllyn

I have a well. Metcom can raise their rates 8000% for all I care.

You better believe that they want as many people on collection systems (waste) and water systems as possible.

They will be offering credits to connect to sewer systems in the near future to do away with septic tanks.

Unless you live way out in the boonies (which you may), you aren't clear from it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've been connected to Metcom (sewer) since the mid 90s and the monthly rates have not increased all that much over the intervening years. I pay right at $100/month for three EDUs and if I recall, it started out around $50.

SoMDGirl42

I've been connected to Metcom (sewer) since the mid 90s and the monthly rates have not increased all that much over the intervening years. I pay right at $100/month for three EDUs and if I recall, it started out around $50.
When I bought in 2000, I was paying 38.00 a month for sewer and water. I'm now paying 100.00 a month, and it's just me and 1 child! Only batman, I'd say that's an increase.

RJO

From 2007-2015 the rates rose on average 10% a year. This latest one is nowhere near that but that rate of growth in that time period is ridiculous. mismanagement I say. People should look at what they thought the growth rate was going to be back 10 years ago, took out loans based on a population that never happened. Yet the same yuppies are in charge

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The biggest reason for rate increases is for federal and state mandated upgrades and expansions. Of course none of these mandates came with any monies so the end users are the cash cows here.

All MetCom meetings are open to the public and if you want to have your say in local government then there are plenty of citizen advisory boards that usually have vacancies. Hell there's even a public hearing with the county commissioners on the 19th at Chopticon.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When I bought in 2000, I was paying 38.00 a month for sewer and water. I'm now paying 100.00 a month, and it's just me and 1 child! Only batman, I'd say that's an increase.

Less of an increase than mine...or maybe roughly the same. So...

Mine has gone down about $25 since they put in meters. Only fair since I was paying the same for one person as a family of four.

RJO

The biggest reason for rate increases is for federal and state mandated upgrades and expansions. Of course none of these mandates came with any monies so the end users are the cash cows here.

All MetCom meetings are open to the public and if you want to have your say in local government then there are plenty of citizen advisory boards that usually have vacancies. Hell there's even a public hearing with the county commissioners on the 19th at Chopticon.

10% a year for 8 years, a little excessive. And you can have a say but I can tell you what they sit their and just smile and nod and ignore.

Their tier system just subsidizes lower users. It's not a pure by use system they are using. 5,000 gallons is the end of the first tier. If 2 people take the average showers and use the bathroom an average amount you will go beyond the first tier already. then you pay twice as much. at 20,000 gallons you pay 4 times as much. I'm sorry, last time I went to the store I didn't pay 2 times as much for the second gallon of milk or 4 times as much for the 3rd gallon.

So yeah some people are saving $10 or so than they were paying in the 2015 standard but you have larger families or people taking care of their lawn easily paying twice to three times as much as they were.

My community has addressed the county commissioners and have spoken at a metcom meeting and as expected, no change.

Let's also not forget METCOM charging people not even on the system just because they lie in the service area.

Wow... just wow. :shocking:

After reviewing the audit of METCOM by an independent CPA firm, Murphy and Murphy, LLC, it is clear that sewer/water rates have risen 55% since 2008 while customers have increased by only 7 % since 2010.
Over the last six years, the costs have risen from $500 to $18,000 for sewer/water charges just to have the privilege to build a new home.
It should be noted that in 2010 and 2009, METCOM set aside over $1,500,000 in both years to fund a trust it set up for METCOM employees. That trust currently exceeds $6,000,000.
Keep in mind that in 15 years, your St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission has grown from 57 employees to over 98 workers even though the customer base has been stagnant during that same time period.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0416/metcom-needs-immediate-overhaul-for-wayward-spending.html

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

After reviewing the audit of METCOM by an independent CPA firm, Murphy and Murphy, LLC, it is clear that sewer/water rates have risen 55% since 2008 while customers have increased by only 7 % since 2010.
Over the last six years, the costs have risen from $500 to $18,000 for sewer/water charges just to have the privilege to build a new home.
It should be noted that in 2010 and 2009, METCOM set aside over $1,500,000 in both years to fund a trust it set up for METCOM employees. That trust currently exceeds $6,000,000.
Keep in mind that in 15 years, your St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission has grown from 57 employees to over 98 workers even though the customer base has been stagnant during that same time period.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0416/metcom-needs-immediate-overhaul-for-wayward-spending.html

Hmmm. That does deserve a "wow".

imaref

There's some crooked stuff going on at Metcom (in my opinion). Doubling the number of employees when customer base is stagnant? Come on county commissioners--time to put these people in their place.

RJO

There's some crooked stuff going on at Metcom (in my opinion). Doubling the number of employees when customer base is stagnant? Come on county commissioners--time to put these people in their place.

Not to mention their board's compensation.

Only one of the county commissioners was pushing for a county take over. It's a #### system that is in place anyways. If Metcom was to accumulate too much debt the county is liable to bail them out anyway.

RJO

And wait 6,000,000 for 98 employees. That's over 60,000 per employee and at that growth rate it will be humongous in like 10-20

Dukesdad

The county commissioners were so upset with the last director at metcom they put him on the planning board.

Jacob42

I think there's a group campaigning to have the metcom board elected every 4 years instead of appointed by the county commissioners.