Look at all the Heroin Addicts

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
I went down to get my hairs cut this morning in Callaway. The parking lot, which is generally empty, was packed to the gills. I asked the gal who works on me what was going on. She said it was Suboxone distribution day at the nearby addiction clinic---the drug that is supposed to help wean addicts off of opioids/narcotics like heroin. She said on some days it was so bad that she couldn't find a place to park for work.

I guess one of the most disturbing things was that I followed some guy who lives in my general neighborhood into the parking lot.

Keep in mind that Callaway is a sleepy hamlet---if you sneeze while driving through, you will miss most of it.

I recently watched a couple of documentaries about the building heroin epidemic. Heroin use has apparently exploded lately and is pervading areas which in the past didn't typically see widespread usage - more suburban and rural areas.

One of those documentaries suggested that most new herion users had moved on to it after becoming addicted to opioids that they had been prescribed, in part because heroin had become cheaper and easier to get.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, and most do the suboxone, not to get off of it, but to tide themselves over til the next fix of the real thing. Next car to be pilfered, TV to walk out the door of Walmart......

nutz

I recently watched a couple of documentaries about the building heroin epidemic. Heroin use has apparently exploded lately and is pervading areas which in the past didn't typically see widespread usage - more suburban and rural areas.

One of those documentaries suggested that most new herion users had moved on to it after becoming addicted to opioids that they had been prescribed, in part because heroin had become cheaper and easier to get.

Did the show draw any lines between idleness and increased use? With the majority of people having less to do in a normal day, it seems natural that behavior like this will increase.

Did the show draw any lines between idleness and increased use? With the majority of people having less to do in a normal day, it seems natural that behavior like this will increase.

I don't recall either of the documentaries I watched making that association.

steppinthrax

There is something far worse than Heroin called Krokodil. It it a mixture of Heroin and a few other drugs (compounded). It's sweeping all over Russia, and making it's way into Europe. Google it....

There is something far worse than Heroin called Krokodil. It it a mixture of Heroin and a few other drugs (compounded). It's sweeping all over Russia, and making it's way into Europe. Google it....

I started to watch a show about that stuff also. I had to stop watching it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Ugh, I wish I had not googled that.

I do not understand why anyone would use that drug.

BernieP

Resident PIA

it's also being laced with ketamine. This mixture has apparently led to an increase in OD deaths.
There are many reasons for becoming hooked on heroin as there are addicts. In short, any addiction, including alcoholism, is a mental illness. Instead of seeking help from a medical professional, people turn to other drugs they believe "help". With the crackdown on certain pills, and the availability of cheap heroin, a number or addicts switched. Heroin happens to be more physically addictive than other drugs. Suboxine is a way to wean them off the physical affects of heroine. It's a way of dealing with the physical demand, without the associated high. Eventually they need to come off suboxine as it rots the body from the inside out.
The clinic largely takes medical assistance so people don't need to steal to feed their habit. It's not the end all be all, but it's better than being hooked on illegal drugs and fighting to feed that craving.

steppinthrax

I've watched the documentary about Krokodil a few weeks go. I was kind of perplexed because the damage done appeared almost like flesh eating bacteria etc. Upon doing more research, this drug was once a legal drug (Desomorphine). It was used to treat pain, mainly due to it's quick ability to act.

It looks like the reason for side effects has to do with the way it's prepared and the lack of purification. Iodine and Phosphorus are left in the synthesis, causing tissue/nerve damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine

So if they simply purify the product it should be fine.

Midnightrider

When my youngest was born three years ago the hospital asked the wife for a urine test. I was surprised and asked if they were checking for weed. The nurse said methadone, and heroin were the most commonly found. That was at St Mary's.

steppinthrax

When my youngest was born three years ago the hospital asked the wife for a urine test. I was surprised and asked if they were checking for weed. The nurse said methadone, and heroin were the most commonly found. That was at St Mary's.

Everyone like to rag on the cities as being the drug districts, but the Country also has drug issues.

sockgirl77

Everyone like to rag on the cities as being the drug districts, but the Country also has drug issues.

Cop buddy of mine says that Baltimore is the heroin capital of the world. Pills cost too much nowadays so heroin has taken over. Heroin and meth use is grown rapidly in St. Mary's. It's quite sad. I saw two people post on Facebook asking for rides to the clinic yesterday. I now know exactly what they were referring to. Both are from different walks of life. According to the comments under the posts, they now share a few mutual friends on Facebook.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We ready to start treating drug use as a health problem yet or no? Keep doing what we're doing and hope for different results?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We ready to start treating drug use as a health problem yet or no? Keep doing what we're doing and hope for different results?

Having personally watched numerous yewts in my neighborhood get deep in to drugs....despite extensive and repeated counseling in many cases....what do you think would make a constructive difference? It looks to me like they are simply doing something that they very much want to do and nothing deters them from that. Sad..frustrating to see...but ?

Grumpy

What hasn't been done? Seems to me there is a whole plethora of different treatments and, as far as I know, none are more than 60% effective. Giving it a different name, such as 'health problem', doesn't change the fact that it's killing society.