Romechia Simms speaks about death of her 3 y/o son (La Plata Swingset case)

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
  • Ji'Aire Donnell Lee, three, died after his mother pushed him on a swing for two days straight in La Plata, Maryland
  • A judge found earlier this year that Romechia Simms, 25, was not criminally responsible
  • She had been suffering from schizophrenia when her son died of hypothermia and dehydration
  • Now Simms sees her therapist twice a week and attends a support group
  • 'I will grab one of his toy balls and hold onto his ball — anything that helps me to feel close,' she said
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3554639/Romechia-Simms-son-Ji-Aire-Donnell-Lee-died-La-Plata-Maryland-pushed-swing-40-hours-speaks-death.html

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She is sick and cannot necessarily be held responsible. But she was on a lot of radars and those people chose to ignore her illness and endanger that child. They need to be held responsible for that child's death.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
She is sick and cannot necessarily be held responsible. But she was on a lot of radars and those people chose to ignore her illness and endanger that child. They need to be held responsible for that child's death.

Mostly the Court system. The father tried to get custody shortly before this happened due to her mental issues. I hold the Judge responsible.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Mostly the Court system. The father tried to get custody shortly before this happened due to her mental issues. I hold the Judge responsible.

They also agreed to continuing joint custody 11 days before the death so, let's not be putting too much of this on a stranger whose job it is to rule on this craziness.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And why in the flying hell did the paper think it was news worthy to include the comments of the mom? They edited the thing like this happened to her and not like she is what she is; a sick person.

officeguy

They also agreed to continuing joint custody 11 days before the death so, let's not be putting too much of this on a stranger whose job it is to rule on this craziness.

He agreed after the judge told him he wouldn't give him custody. Crazy-broad had already moved down to La Plata to keep exclusive control of the kid. The one who bears responsibility in addition to the DC family court judge is the mom who enabled all this. For some reason Romechia couldn't live with her so she was put up at the motel on the counties dime.

steppinthrax

How do common people have a duty to make a determination that someone is sick (based on no psychological experience/credentialing). You cannot hold those liable. I can understand with the court system, if she was being treated by a therapist (previously).

steppinthrax

I generally don't agree with the concept of the insanity defense. You will find that a high percentage (maybe 80-90%) of incarcerated individuals are suffering from some form of mental disorder/personality disorder that most likely attributed to their crime. You could argue, that almost all of those individuals are insane, therefore they should be under the care of a therapist v.s. prison. I have a problem with this!

pelers

Just because somebody is mentally ill they shouldn't be given a free pass. They are still fully capable of being a danger to society. Two days off her meds and she kills her child? I had a close friend who was schizophrenic, and it's a battle. He'd be good staying on his meds, then he'd start thinking that because he was doing so well he didn't need them and he'd stop. He couldn't see it himself when he was spiraling down until he splatted at rock bottom. Over and over again.

I'm sure that now she's back on her meds she feels the full impact of what she did. I think this is really on the judge who gave her custody. She was not capable of caring for that child all on her own.