Driving protip. Free :) Bonus cell phone and speeding rants included..... :)

glhs837

Power with Control
If there is no traffic in the rotary intersection, you may enter it without SLOWING TO A STOP!!!!!!!! Had this happen three times this week after entering Gate Three. Not just no cars in the rotary, not even approaching. People obeying imaginary Stop signs.

So, been coming back home from up near San Souci all three days this week. So instead of exiting Gate 3s access road and heading south on the one lane, I'm coming down past all three gates....... Holy freakin hell, it's like Fury Road without the guns out there..... people speeding past traffic in the straight through lane approaching Gate 2 from the north in the dedicated left turn lane, then making unsafe merges. Once past Gate 2, it's like qualifying at Deathrace 2000. 65-70, lane changes with no signals and less than two feet clearance....... I'm pretty openminded about speed, but that's safe speed, where you make damn sure you have plenty of room and don't exceed the prevailing speed by more than 5-6mph. Tailgating under 2-3 feet, it's a damn zoo out there.

Been on the road a lo this last week. I'm astounded by the amount of texting and talking drivers. Really everywhere. Going slow, drifting in lanes, random braking...........

tommyjo

Gee...maybe a few speed cameras in the Gate 2 area would change behavior?

Don't rant about the problem if you are against any and all means to fix it.

glhs837

Power with Control
They might, but keep in mind a few points.

1. They are only legally allowed in school zones.
2. They have a nice low $40 fine so they don't really deter, they just make money.
3. No insurance reporting, so no long term deterrent consequences
3. People care far more about a $75 or better ticket they receive from an officer that might carry points than a "Please send $40 and never worry about it again".
4. Speed cameras can increase accidents as locals who know about them jam on the brakes while people unaware, not expecting that, hit them.

I'm not against officers enforcing the law. So, to say that I'm against any and all means, when in fact I'm only against one means is an untrue statement. Please, if you want to play the game, at least run your stuff through a logic filter, maybe have someone read over your stuff before posting?

glhs837

Power with Control
No yield signs, but even if there were, you only yield when there is other traffic.

True, but that is an SHA program, and usually kept up along Baltimore.

willie

They might, but keep in mind a few points.

1. They are only legally allowed in school zones.
Montgomery County puts them any place they feel will make a lot of money. Usually immediately after the start of an unreasonable 30 mph zone.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Been on the road a lo this last week. I'm astounded by the amount of texting and talking drivers. Really everywhere. Going slow, drifting in lanes, random braking...........

I assume everyone is on the phone. Especially when I'm riding.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, of course. But there are times when you are in the thick of it.

Then, you're on the 'X' and need to be working on a solution. One of my core tenets is motion makes me detectable and thus them aware. I move around in my lane, stretch my arms, legs, exaggerate movements of my head and torso. I probably make people say "Look at that guy. He's nuts..." The first being the point! :lol:

Then, you're on the 'X' and need to be working on a solution. One of my core tenets is motion makes me detectable and thus them aware. I move around in my lane, stretch my arms, legs, exaggerate movements of my head and torso. I probably make people say "Look at that guy. He's nuts..." The first being the point! :lol:

No. By doing all of that, you're no longer riding for the enjoyment of riding.

Drive defensibly when necessary, get away from traffic as quickly as possible, enjoy the ride.

And yes. You're nutz. But we knew that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I actually go a bit farther and assume they are intent on my death :) Driving or riding.....

:lol: Every time I try to think that it never makes sense and would make me give up riding all together as we are mostly helpless were that the case. I just think of it as it is; a boring, mindless activity, driving cars, that I simply need to negotiate as thought through a herd that, if it's gonna get startled, I wanna be working towards my out, all the time.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No. By doing all of that, you're no longer riding for the enjoyment of riding.

Drive defensibly when necessary, get away from traffic as quickly as possible, enjoy the ride.

And yes. You're nutz. But we knew that.

So, how is it that you can decide for me what is and isn't enjoyable if I am nuts? How would YOU know what is enjoyable to the crazed? :evil: