Apollo's breath

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It used to smell like rotten fish that was left in the trash in 100* weather for a month. Recently he had his teeth cleaned and a bunch of them pulled, and now his breath is completely inoffensive. So now I wish that I'd had his dental work done sooner, not so much specifically because of the breath, but because something horrible was causing that funk and now it's gone.

Yes, it involved knocking him out and yes, it was expensive. But well worth it.

It used to smell like rotten fish that was left in the trash in 100* weather for a month. Recently he had his teeth cleaned and a bunch of them pulled, and now his breath is completely inoffensive. So now I wish that I'd had his dental work done sooner, not so much specifically because of the breath, but because something horrible was causing that funk and now it's gone.

Yes, it involved knocking him out and yes, it was expensive. But well worth it.
What are you doing differently now to prevent the next trip in for a knockout, pulling and deep cleaning?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What are you doing differently now to prevent the next trip in for a knockout, pulling and deep cleaning?

His teefs problems stem from before I got him, I just never got them fixed (which I should have). Now it's just routine care. He gets crunchy food and chewies that help keep his teeth clean, and no I do not brush Apollo's teeth every day. So not doing anything different, just now we have healthy choppers to work with.

His teefs problems stem from before I got him, I just never got them fixed (which I should have). Now it's just routine care. He gets crunchy food and chewies that help keep his teeth clean, and no I do not brush Apollo's teeth every day. So not doing anything different, just now we have healthy choppers to work with.
Yeah, I adopted one of mine at 4 years old and spent big bucks to get her mouth cleaned. We even caught it before any had to be pulled. I did the crunchy food and "stinky chews" (medicated chews that promise to keep gums healthy), even did the occasional rope her down and clean her teeth with an electric tooth brush, but that wasn't enough. The vets answer was that it would require regular (daily) brushing just like our mouths do... I found that to be torture for me and the dog so I didn't do it. Had a couple more put her under and eventual teeth pulls before I decided she was getting too old to do this to.

Hope Apollo has better luck!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, I adopted one of mine at 4 years old and spent big bucks to get her mouth cleaned. We even caught it before any had to be pulled. I did the crunchy food and "stinky chews" (medicated chews that promise to keep gums healthy), even did the occasional rope her down and clean her teeth with an electric tooth brush, but that wasn't enough. The vets answer was that it would require regular (daily) brushing just like our mouths do... I found that to be torture for me and the dog so I didn't do it. Had a couple more put her under and eventual teeth pulls before I decided she was getting too old to do this to.

Hope Apollo has better luck!

There are a couple different ways you can go besides brushing their teeth (can you imagine trying that crap with a cat??). There's a spray that you can apply to their teeth and it prevents plaque, and also a solution you can add to their water. Google "enzymatic teeth cleaners for dogs" and you'll get a bunch of results, or call your vet and they'll give you a recommendation.

There are a couple different ways you can go besides brushing their teeth (can you imagine trying that crap with a cat??). There's a spray that you can apply to their teeth and it prevents plaque, and also a solution you can add to their water. Google "enzymatic teeth cleaners for dogs" and you'll get a bunch of results, or call your vet and they'll give you a recommendation.
Yep... we did the water thing.