Typical politicians...Calvert Co. Tax Increase Proposed

littlelady

God bless the USA
http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0416/tax-increase-proposed-in-local-county.html

They promise not to raise our property taxes to get elected, then they do the opposite. Guess they aren't taxing the Nuclear Power Plant and Cove Point LNG Terminal enough and now they want us to pay more. Next election, we should vote them all out!

*Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often, and for the same reason.

I have always loved Mark Twain...a man ahead of his time! To put it in perspective, Calvert is way behind on tax hikes compared to other counties, but I get what you are saying about saying one thing to get elected, and doing another once elected. We know one of the commissioners and he told us that the hikes have to do with the shift of school system employee retirement benefit costs from the state to the counties (Calvert's is 5.3 M for 2017, and LNG project will not have increased revenue until 2018) and Calvert has to make up for it, somehow.

calvcopf

I do understand, littlelady. But I would be really surprised if they ever lowered our taxes again, even after 2018. We are taxed to death as it is. I'm not rich, but not poor either, just a normal family trying to get by in Calvert County.

I guess my main gripe is that they promise us that all of the negatives of allowing these potentially environmentally hazardous operations in Calvert County, will be outweighed to the citizens through increased tax revenue from those corporations. As tax payers, we are not seeing any benefits to us right now.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I do understand, littlelady. But I would be really surprised if they ever lowered our taxes again, even after 2018. We are taxed to death as it is. I'm not rich, but not poor either, just a normal family trying to get by in Calvert County.

I guess my main gripe is that they promise us that all of the negatives of allowing these potentially environmentally hazardous operations in Calvert County, will be outweighed to the citizens through increased tax revenue from those corporations. As tax payers, we are not seeing any benefits to us right now.

:yay: I know. As taxpayers, we carry the load on our backs; whether it be local, state, or fed. If taxes break our backs, there will be no one left to pay for it. Forget taxing the ultra rich; they know how to get around that. This is why I worry about my children and my first grandchild. I do try to remain positive and optimistic. I was a Pollyanna for so long in my life that I am trying to get used to being cynical. :patriot:

tommyjo

Let me ask you some questions...

What service(s) does the county, state or federal government provide today that cost less than they did 10, 15, 20 or more years ago?

Do you know what the main costs of local and state governments are? And what is happening with those costs?

Is the value of real estate higher or lower today than it was 8-10 years ago?

(If you can answer those questions honestly, then the follow up question to those is: How can you be so stupid as to think someone seeking political office is truthful when they promise to lower property tax rates?)

Why do you expect an increase in your personal wage or salary level?

If you believe you are "taxed to death", why are you still here? This is a free country, you have freedom of mobility.

creekman

The Republican Party has controlled Calvert County government for the last sixteen years. Since they beat Wilson Parran six years ago they have had absolute control. When they assumed control the surplus was in the $50 million neighborhood. Where has the surplus gone?

Are they going to roll back the tax increase in the 2018 fiscal year when the Dominion $25,000,000 comes rolling into the county coffers?

Why has all the discussion on the tax increase taken place behind closed doors? Should not the Commissioners let the taxpayers in on their thinking about raising taxes?

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The Republican Party has controlled Calvert County government for the last sixteen years. Since they beat Wilson Parran six years ago they have had absolute control. When they assumed control the surplus was in the $50 million neighborhood. Where has the surplus gone?

Are they going to roll back the tax increase in the 2018 fiscal year when the Dominion $25,000,000 comes rolling into the county coffers?

Why has all the discussion on the tax increase taken place behind closed doors? Should not the Commissioners let the taxpayers in on their thinking about raising taxes?

There has to be a public notice run in the newspaper prior to a public hearing on raising the tax rate above the Constant Yield (which they do every year). What's been happening for the last several decades is that the increase in assessments more than provided enough revenues to cover increased costs.

What happened to the surplus/Rainy Day Fund was that it was spent down over the last few years when assessments cratered due to the recession/housing bubble popping. That's actually what the Rainy Day Fund is for, covering shortfalls when revenues fall.

I realize that you guys are going to blame teachers and County employees but the reality is that neither group has really gotten any raises, either step or COLA, the last several years.

One of the things that impacted every County in Maryland was the State kicking back pension costs to the Counties after having covered them since the 1930s. The cost of abiding by various regulations has increased. A big deal was made about the Rain Tax. Calvert had to pay that, too, as part of conforming to the State mandated Watershed Improvement Plans. That just didn't make the news. A few Counties were required to collect a specific tax, the rest were told, "You're on your own".

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
There has to be a public notice run in the newspaper prior to a public hearing on raising the tax rate above the Constant Yield (which they do every year). What's been happening for the last several decades is that the increase in assessments more than provided enough revenues to cover increased costs.

What happened to the surplus/Rainy Day Fund was that it was spent down over the last few years when assessments cratered due to the recession/housing bubble popping. That's actually what the Rainy Day Fund is for, covering shortfalls when revenues fall.

I realize that you guys are going to blame teachers and County employees but the reality is that neither group has really gotten any raises, either step or COLA, the last several years.

One of the things that impacted every County in Maryland was the State kicking back pension costs to the Counties after having covered them since the 1930s. The cost of abiding by various regulations has increased. A big deal was made about the Rain Tax. Calvert had to pay that, too, as part of conforming to the State mandated Watershed Improvement Plans. That just didn't make the news. A few Counties were required to collect a specific tax, the rest were told, "You're on your own".
This is a very funny quote, "In response to these challenges, Calvert County Government instituted a new budgeting analysis to ensure operational efficiency. This analysis revealed that 99 percent of the county’s expenditures were mandated or mission-critical." That really cracks me up. 99%. Sure.

The real reason for the coming increases, "The county looks forward to additional tax revenue from the Dominion Cove Point LNG liquefaction project. However, revenue from the expansion will not be available until Fiscal Year 2018. A majority of the revenue anticipated will be used to fund public schools retiree, as well as, Calvert County Government retiree health benefits, known as other post-employment benefits or OPEB, and to fund operational expenditures that have been deferred." All this while, in the private sector, wages are being cut, more out of pocket being paid out for health care, and what employee retirement contributions? Funny also, that prior to this announcement, none of the commissioners had absolutely, (least that's what they said in public), no idea what the extra money from Dominion was going to be used for.

And this, “This proposal, supported by the plurality of the board, will go far in protecting the county’s strong bond ratings..." Screw the people, we have to please wall street.

It is not law that we must fund the OPEB anyway, let the teachers and county employees pay more to fund their own retirement and pay more towards their own health care, just like those in the private sector.

So, to hell with roads maintenance, infrastructure and the like, no, we have to pay for these overpaid, (yes, relative to the private sector, way overpaid,) government workers and pad their already well padded retirement accounts and pay for their health care that we are having trouble doing for ourselves, if we can afford it at all.

In addition, in that whole press release stating the need and "modest" reasoning for tax increases. [And the use of the word "modest". Were just going to modestly shove this up your rectum taxpayers, you really won't feel it too much.] There is no actual estimate of the amount to be realized. It is time for the commissioners to start cutting worker benefits, (health care subsidies and retirement contributions), just like in the private sector.

creekman

What happened to the small government and low tax mantra that the Commissioner President was selling at election time?

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...This is a very funny quote, "In response to these challenges, Calvert County Government instituted a new budgeting analysis to ensure operational efficiency. This analysis revealed that 99 percent of the county’s expenditures were mandated or mission-critical." That really cracks me up. 99%. Sure.

The real reason for the coming increases, "The county looks forward to additional tax revenue from the Dominion Cove Point LNG liquefaction project. However, revenue from the expansion will not be available until Fiscal Year 2018. A majority of the revenue anticipated will be used to fund public schools retiree, as well as, Calvert County Government retiree health benefits, known as other post-employment benefits or OPEB, and to fund operational expenditures that have been deferred." All this while, in the private sector, wages are being cut, more out of pocket being paid out for health care, and what employee retirement contributions? Funny also, that prior to this announcement, none of the commissioners had absolutely, (least that's what they said in public), no idea what the extra money from Dominion was going to be used for.

And this, “This proposal, supported by the plurality of the board, will go far in protecting the county’s strong bond ratings..." Screw the people, we have to please wall street.

It is not law that we must fund the OPEB anyway, let the teachers and county employees pay more to fund their own retirement and pay more towards their own health care, just like those in the private sector.

So, to hell with roads maintenance, infrastructure and the like, no, we have to pay for these overpaid, (yes, relative to the private sector, way overpaid,) government workers and pad their already well padded retirement accounts and pay for their health care that we are having trouble doing for ourselves, if we can afford it at all.

In addition, in that whole press release stating the need and "modest" reasoning for tax increases. [And the use of the word "modest". Were just going to modestly shove this up your rectum taxpayers, you really won't feel it too much.] There is no actual estimate of the amount to be realized. It is time for the commissioners to start cutting worker benefits, (health care subsidies and retirement contributions), just like in the private sector.

Republicans like entitlements too.

intertidal

Republicans like entitlements too.

They should not be allowed to raise taxes to fund their gold-plated health insurance (and the cadillac tax that will soon apply) that nearly none of the taxpayers get.

The teachers are entitled to what they negotiate, but not politicians who only serve themselves and their corporate friends at Dominion - and then hide behind non-disclosure agreements like cowards. The tax break to Dominion was over $500 million with the deferred subsidy value of the break over 800M. I'd be happy to pay $20 years in the future in exchange for an $800 gift today. And what is 2018 when the 20M comes due? Election year LOL.

I can afford the few thousand more that I'll be forced to pay - but my preference would be to spend it at small businesses in the county - the same small businesses these fools and their highly paid idiot friends in political patronage "economic development" department jobs are chasing out of the county.

intertidal

Let me ask you some questions...

What service(s) does the county, state or federal government provide today that cost less than they did 10, 15, 20 or more years ago?

Do you know what the main costs of local and state governments are? And what is happening with those costs?

Is the value of real estate higher or lower today than it was 8-10 years ago?

(If you can answer those questions honestly, then the follow up question to those is: How can you be so stupid as to think someone seeking political office is truthful when they promise to lower property tax rates?)

Why do you expect an increase in your personal wage or salary level?

If you believe you are "taxed to death", why are you still here? This is a free country, you have freedom of mobility.

We are only here for family reasons; otherwise I'd leave a corrupt government for one that appears less corrupt.
There are plenty of examples of services that could be cut if there was any desire to cut them. One county commissioner has written two recent letters to the editor of the Recorder and perpetuates a myth of fiscal responsibility and cites services to senior citizens as a large expense (while ignoring the gift to Dominion). But that fails any sniff test. As the average age of any population increases due to declining birth rates, the cost of services always decreases. The highest costs to counties are from younger average ages because they have kids in school. If the commissioners are really concerned about services to seniors, they should cut the 50 year old age for all the freebies at the senior centers. I resent the dishonesty of pretending that their lazy 50 year old buddies need even more freebies at my expense when I choose to work into my 60's. Hey, I'd love to take a taxpayer subsidized pottery class at the local senior center, but I'm working during the daytime hours when its open.

Last edited:

intertidal

The public meeting, like all public meetings is for the appearance of fairness. The reality is that they already decided (away from the cameras) to raise both income and property taxes. This was obvious when they voted for their gold-plated health benefits, knowing that their tax increases would pay for it and the cadillac tax to come.

Why was there no comparison to health benefits with St. Mary's County?