Sharks teeth

I'm asking if anyone knows a good place to find sharks teeth in St Mary's. I know about Calvert Cliffs, but I have a 5 year old and don't want to take the two mile round trip hike. We were at Westmoreland State Park and found a nice one at that beach this weekend.

Erk

It's not in St. Mary's, but it is a much shorter walk: Flag Ponds, just up the road from CC. It's an easy 1/4 mile or so walk to the beach. I've had much better luck there anyway. It was my go to place when the kids were little. Still is!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In all the years I've been "beach combing" around St. Mary's county shorelines, I've never found a spot with shark's teeth. That said, I've never really spent any time looking on the bay side shoreline. On the other hand..finding them on various Calvert country beaches is easy..as it is easy on the Virginia shoreline. The range of teeth and other fossils that come out of the tall clay cliff banks opposite 7D and Cobb Island is amazing.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Youngest found this at Driftwood Beach in CRE. Obviously a rare find but awesome for sure.

Attachments

• tooth1.jpg
    tooth1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 375

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Youngest found this at Driftwood Beach in CRE. Obviously a rare find but awesome for sure.

Nice! Didn't have any quite that large in our collection.

We had a couple old mason jars that were nearly full of arrowheads and sharks teeth, respectively. The former all found on shorelines around St. George Island; the latter found on Calvert beaches or over on the Virginia shores of the Potomac.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
look look look, make you brain concentrate on BLACK, most of the fossils on shore will be black shading.. look where there is a concentration of shells and other stuff, they are usually in the stuff. Ya can find them by there lonesomes too, but i haven't found many like that...

FettZilla

Last year after the flood in South Carolina, a lot of megalodon teeth have been found. Boy it would be awesome to have one of those.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
We have a few good specimens of shark's teeth from Calvert Cliffs. The most amazing find I ever had is when we first moved here and lived in Benedict for a while. The first day that I went to sit on the sand on a blanket by the river, I looked down and an arrowhead was right there; like find me! It was awesome. I gave it to Jefferson Patterson Park for their museum.

Edit: A tip that someone told me was to use a colander and fill with sand, and run through the water that is right there. It works! The same idea as panning for gold. And, you can find fossilized snails and other crittrers, bone, shards of pottery and glass, and other things from days gone by.

Attachments

• arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 310
Last edited: