Accident- TJ Bridge

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw some nozzle yesterday trying to kill people in the oncoming lane. He swerved back in time to not cause an accident, but it was close.

Why is it so hard to stay in your lane when crossing that bridge???

PeoplesElbow

I saw some nozzle yesterday trying to kill people in the oncoming lane. He swerved back in time to not cause an accident, but it was close.

Some people just have to sight see when up there.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Didn't we discuss this once before?

:)

I'm trying to come up with the simple explanation of driving habits in this region.
What I think it comes down to is lack of common sense / courtesy.
The common retort to a complaint is, how it's legal and they have a right, or "if they wanted it to be that way they should have said".
You see it at every intersection. Not running lights, but how turn lanes are used. Do people pull into the turn lane and THEN slow down? No, most people use the travel lane to slow down and slowly move over, a lot of times they barely make it into the turn lane before the intersection.
Coming out of the base, you have 2 lanes on Buse road and there is provision that allow the left lane to move into the right turn lanes.
People would rather stack up a single file lane back to Cedar Point road than allow a car to move over at 235. They will stay to the left with the center and right lane empty because the can. Their method is legally correct, but it does not move the volume of traffic sharing the road would - but that's common sense.

stgislander

PREMO Member

I'm trying to come up with the simple explanation of driving habits in this region.
The common retort to a complaint is, how it's legal and they have a right, or "if they wanted it to be that way they should have said".
You see it at every intersection. Not running lights, but how turn lanes are used. Do people pull into the turn lane and THEN slow down? No, most people use the travel lane to slow down and slowly move over, a lot of times they barely make it into the turn lane before the intersection.
Coming out of the base, you have 2 lanes on Buse road and there is provision that allow the left lane to move into the right turn lanes.
People would rather stack up a single file lane back to Cedar Point road than allow a car to move over at 235. They will stay to the left with the center and right lane empty because the can. Their method is legally correct, but it does not move the volume of traffic sharing the road would - but that's common sense.

Ugh... I hate this one. Although in some cases, the turn lane is not long enough to allow a proper slow down from 40-50 MPH.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Because the dum-a**es that change lanes on the bridge are too stoopid to know NOT to. There are solid double-yellow lines that some dopes don't pay attention to; at least there used to be. There are even signs at both ends that say "NO LANE CHANGES ON BRIDGE." aren't there? I don't notice anymore, because I don't change lanes on any bridge. It's gonna take somebody hitting/going through or over one of the retaining walls before people wise up, I guess.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Of course, we all know that that goes the other way too; using the right turn lane as a merge lane CIP 4/235 intersection by WaWa. That same lane is where folks coming over the bridge just pull into without signaling, to get to WaWa. There's gonna be a "good" rear-end collision or broadside there one day.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Of course, we all know that that goes the other way too; using the right turn lane as a merge lane CIP 4/235 intersection by WaWa. That same lane is where folks coming over the bridge just pull into without signaling, to get to WaWa. There's gonna be a "good" rear-end collision or broadside there one day.

Traffic coming off of St. Andrews to go S/B on 235 have a yield sign.

PeoplesElbow

If they have the green light, don't they have the right of way?

This is where it gets confusing, you are in a lane going straight and it has a solid line to the left of you, why would someone be able to change lanes into yours from the left?

DEEKAYPEE8569

This is where it gets confusing, you are in a lane going straight and it has a solid line to the left of you, why would someone be able to change lanes into yours from the left?
Because spikes and blades don't pop out of the lines to shred the tires of folks that do that.

BernieP

Resident PIA

yep, don't I know. I've seen it coming south on 235, people coming off St. Andrews Church Rd take the turn at speed and force the traffic on 235 to Yield to them. Which is always a good thing just after the light has turned green and people are accelerating behind you - that sudden, unexpected stop.
And if they can't "merge" they keep going at full speed, as cars pull out of the Starbucks lot
But the lane is marked "Right Turn Only" it just doesn't say how many miles you have to make that turn.

DEEKAYPEE8569

yep, don't I know. I've seen it coming south on 235, people coming off St. Andrews Church Rd take the turn at speed and force the traffic on 235 to Yield to them. Which is always a good thing just after the light has turned green and people are accelerating behind you - that sudden, unexpected stop.
And if they can't "merge" they keep going at full speed, as cars pull out of the Starbucks lot
But the lane is marked "Right Turn Only" it just doesn't say how many miles you have to make that turn.

Wile E. Coyote pop-up ramps would fix that. If you use the turn lane, be in it before your turn. If you use it as a thru lane just to merge into traffic and you drive past even one right turn, a ramp pops up launching your a**.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ugh... I hate this one. Although in some cases, the turn lane is not long enough to allow a proper slow down from 40-50 MPH.

I was thinking more of the people who are part way in the turn lane but don't really get out of the way as they come to a stop until the very end - if there is room for that, there was room to move all the way into the lane.

I also love the coasters, lights red so I'll coast and block traffic from turning left/right.

Like I said, courtesy, common sense. Stop 5 car lengths back and block access to the turn lane so that people behind them so people have to wait thru multiple lights to turn.

It just leads to congestion as lights are timed to allow a certain volume of vehicles through, if people don't move, then fewer vehicles get thru and the back up begins.

Traffic coming off of St. Andrews to go S/B on 235 have a yield sign.
The right hand turn lane coming off of 4 is not the same lane as the far right left turn lane that is used to turn right into Wawa or beyond. Therefore, the yield applies to both those turning left from bridge side just as much as those turning right from St. Andrews side. If a care has already turned from St. Andrew's side they have the right of way and the car coming from the bridge 4 side must wait for them to clear the lane before merging right.

Same for those going straight through the light. They have to merge into that right hand lane by Wawa and if a car is already in that lane they have to merge behind the car.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I was thinking more of the people who are part way in the turn lane but don't really get out of the way as they come to a stop until the very end - if there is room for that, there was room to move all the way into the lane.

I also love the coasters, lights red so I'll coast and block traffic from turning left/right.

Like I said, courtesy, common sense. Stop 5 car lengths back and block access to the turn lane so that people behind them so people have to wait thru multiple lights to turn.

It just leads to congestion as lights are timed to allow a certain volume of vehicles through, if people don't move, then fewer vehicles get thru and the back up begins.

And then there's driving 235 and all it's side roads on a Saturday; but that's a different topic for another tred.