Health inspector reports for restaurants online?

calvcopf

If you have ever seen an episode of Bar Rescue or other similar shows, then it will make you wonder how clean are the kitchens of the places we frequent? I have felt some sickness after eating at a couple restaurants, but could never really determine if that particular restaurant was the cause or something else.

Do health inspectors release their reports online? Specifically in Calvert County. If a restaurant continually gets low marks, it really should be public knowledge.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Nope, Calvert doesn't post them. However, you can go to the Calvert County Health Department in beautiful downtown Prince Frederick just off Main Street and request a copy of any restaurants inspection report for any period at any time. Or ask for a copy of all of restaurant reports and create a website yourself. But if you do, just post the reports themselves without any embellishments to save yourself from any potential liability claims.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Health inspection grades are only so reliable. You can get sick at a restaurant that has a grade A report because of a careless employee; and you can also eat with confidence at a place that got a low mark because there were paper towels on the restroom floor. There is also some, um, wiggle room for certain restaurants that isn't practiced with others.

Or the food could be perfectly fine and just not agree with your tummy for whatever reason.

We all get food poisoning on some level just because it's the nature of the beast, whether you get it from a restaurant or because you chopped salad veggies in your own home on a cutting board that was contaminated with raw chicken. I only have one rule of thumb and that is I NEVER eat a mayonnaise based salad at a restaurant or outdoor picnic. The other rule is I won't eat it if it looks disgusting - is crusted over or bubbling with fermentation - but that just seems like common sense.

stgislander

PREMO Member
That was a nice thing about North Carolina. There was usually a placard from the Health Dept, placed prominently near the entrance, that gave the establishment a letter grade (e.g. A, B, etc.) based on their latest inspection results. You might not be able to read the text, but the letter grade was at least 3" tall.

frequentflier

happy to be living
That was a nice thing about North Carolina. There was usually a placard from the Health Dept, placed prominently near the entrance, that gave the establishment a letter grade (e.g. A, B, etc.) based on their latest inspection results. You might not be able to read the text, but the letter grade was at least 3" tall.

California, too.

GopherM

Darwin was right
That is one of the many things I like about our new hometown here in Georgia. Every Monday the newspaper publishes the results of the previous week's health inspections. The ABC affiliate in Atlanta also highlights the worst health inspection failures each week and then provides a follow-up when the places are reinspected.

PeoplesElbow

I really like the way North Carolina does it, they have to post their grade in plain view for all to see.

Restless

I must say that the Health Dept. inspections are really not very reliable because the Dept. lets the business know ahead of time when they are coming.

tipsymcgee

Not really. Restaurants know they get quarterly inspections but they are unannounced. Any problems that need fixing have to be done and are followed up by the health dept within 2 weeks. The local section of the wash post has a listing of closures for MD VA and DC listed but closures are usually for vermin, lack of hot water, unsanitary conditions or licensing issues.

Restless

Not really. Restaurants know they get quarterly inspections but they are unannounced. Any problems that need fixing have to be done and are followed up by the health dept within 2 weeks. The local section of the wash post has a listing of closures for MD VA and DC listed but closures are usually for vermin, lack of hot water, unsanitary conditions or licensing issues.

Unless things have changed since I quit, the St. Mary's Health Dept. would tell the restaurants when they were coming.

tipsymcgee

��

Unless things have changed since I quit, the St. Mary's Health Dept. would tell the restaurants when they were coming.

That's what I'm saying. They can come unannounced any time in that 3 month period and do. Unless it's a smaller operation or caterer etc who may not always be in the business during their work hours the inspections are not known ahead.

3CATSAILOR

When I was on the County Health Board, which is now called a Health "Coalition" I had asked about St. Mary's County publishing in the local newspapers ratings for each restaurant along with what was found if anything. The response I received was that pretty much ALL of the County restaurants would have some type of violation and thus the list would be too lengthy to publish.

tipsymcgee

The list would be too huge. It is no longer just the health department looking at your food and food handling procedures. They are tasked with "Environmental Health" meaning they can tell you to clean the ceiling fans, light fixtures, refrigerator door gaskets, clean and spray paint any showing rust on metal, etc. I was once told by an inspector, "We have to find something." So while they do come in and do temperature checks on your refrigeration and watch your food prep tactics, it's a lot more than just food. I once had an inspector write me up for having boxes stored on the floor when he had seen the delivery man leave as he came in and it was piled in our store room to be put away.

steppinthrax

If I may ...

Nope, Calvert doesn't post them. However, you can go to the Calvert County Health Department in beautiful downtown Prince Frederick just off Main Street and request a copy of any restaurants inspection report for any period at any time. Or ask for a copy of all of restaurant reports and create a website yourself. But if you do, just post the reports themselves without any embellishments to save yourself from any potential liability claims.

And when I sent an email to the Calvert County Health Department over why Crystal Palace was closed, I was met with a brick wall!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
And when I sent an email to the Calvert County Health Department over why Crystal Palace was closed, I was met with a brick wall!
Because they cannot disclose any reasons over the phone or email, or for that matter, in person. I once asked an inspector about a restaurant as well and was told I would have to get the report form the office, even though she did the inspection and made the report. You must go the the actual health department office and request a copy of the, or all, reports. It might be a legal liability thing. In case a business owner contests an inspection. Can't have inspectors or people in the health department office disparaging food service folks I guess.

3CATSAILOR

If you feel as though your assessment is not correct, ask to talk to the Health Officer of your County. He or she will review your complaint.

steppinthrax

If I may ...Because they cannot disclose any reasons over the phone or email, or for that matter, in person. I once asked an inspector about a restaurant as well and was told I would have to get the report form the office, even though she did the inspection and made the report. You must go the the actual health department office and request a copy of the, or all, reports. It might be a legal liability thing. In case a business owner contests an inspection. Can't have inspectors or people in the health department office disparaging food service folks I guess.

I don't agree with this. We all know the main reason why it's done that way is to put a "speed bump" in trying to obtain the report. If reports were emailed/faxed/searchable online etc.. Everybody's business would be out there that easily. You have to physically appear and obtain a report (rest health report). There are things more severe that I'm able to obtain from companies (legitimately) that could do far more damage than a restaurant health report.