Road Painting ? Rt 5 : New Surface Great Mills to Leonardtown

Erk

Question for those that know:

Route 5 is being resurfaced, it appears they recently started in Great Mills and are working their way (thankfully!) at night towards Leonardtown.

My question is, are the paint lines being put down after the new surface the final ones? They are pretty wobbly and rather silly looking. They don't appear to the temporary tape that you can find down around St. Mary's College, and they show the smearing of people driving over them when wet. So it's real paint, real crooked.

Are these also, somehow, temporary lines, with less durable paint? Or will 'final' markings over them come later? Or is this it? The turn lane in front of Callaway shopping center is a prime example of wobbly lines.

Goldenhawk

Are these also, somehow, temporary lines, with less durable paint? Or will 'final' markings over them come later?
I'm pretty sure that's not the final road surface. There is still about a 2" height difference between driveways and parking lots and the new paved surface, which leads me to believe they're going to put down another coat of tarmac before they do the final painting job.

If that's the case, it makes sense not to use the expensive temporary striping tape, when a cheap (and hastily-applied) coat of paint will suffice for a short time.

stew77

they did the same on Rt 245 from Sotterly to Leonardtown. They used some sort of "tape" or paint for the lines and they were put on by a drunk! Totally crooked, not connected etc. Wonder where the Quality Control is? But when most of the driveways were finished, new stripes were put up and they were straight. I was so mad at the first set of stripes that I called the Planning and Zoning and they said it is the Companies requirement to either fix or make the right, not Public Works Planning and Zoning. I called the Trading Post and they said they would look into it...! So if you are waiting for the road from Great Mills to Leonardtown to be correct, I guess "rub a lamp" and wait!! I am finding out the even the State Road Commission doesn't have "Quality Control" worth a damn!! No one is responsible it seems!

Popster

The bigger problem is that the whole route is now a "no passing" zone. I was stuck behind some ........ cruising down the road at a roaring 32 mph who occasionally sped up to an astoundingly blistering 36! Guess it was my day to have a lesson in patience.

Erk

I'm pretty sure that's not the final road surface. There is still about a 2" height difference between driveways and parking lots and the new paved surface, which leads me to believe they're going to put down another coat of tarmac before they do the final painting job.

If that's the case, it makes sense not to use the expensive temporary striping tape, when a cheap (and hastily-applied) coat of paint will suffice for a short time.

That makes perfect sense. I had not noticed the height difference. Thank you.