St. Mary's Co. Newspapers from the 1800's

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
I just discovered some old newspapers dating back to the 1800s online at the Library of Congress.

St. Mary's Gazette. (Leonard Town, Md.) 1863-1867
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn89060120/issues/first_pages/

St. Mary's beacon. (Leonard Town, Md.) 1845-1863
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn89060119/issues/first_pages/

Things were much different back then.

On Nov. 21st, 1861 (154 years ago) Sheriff Philip H. Dorsey advertised for re-election:

FOR SHERIFF.

PHILIP H. DORSEY, thankful to his friends and the public for the support he received at the late election, offers himself again as a candidate for Sheriff and solicits the votes of his fellow-citizens of St. Mary's county at the next election.

Nov. 21st, 1861.

It looks like this ad might have cost him $1

Here is what appears to be an ad for a doctor:

NOTICE.

DR. WILLIAM S. BLAKISTONE, having located in Chaptico, offers his professional services to the Public, and can always be found, when not professionally engaged, at Boswell's Hotel. I also return my thanks to my friends in the neighborhood at St. Clement's Bay for their former patronage, and will always be happy to wait on them at the shortest notice.

Nov. 28th, 1861--tf.

BTW, these were on the front page.

Attachments

• 1111.PNG
    1111.PNG
    214.9 KB · Views: 259

officeguy

Interesting. One of the Blackistone daughters married one of the Dorseys later on.

Last edited:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I wonder which forumites kin this was...:elaine:

Attachments

• 2016-05-20_9-29-41.jpg
    2016-05-20_9-29-41.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 210

bilbur

I wonder which forumites kin this was...:elaine:

I can guarantee it wasn't my kin. In researching my family they have been here since at least the early 1700 on both sides. While some of my families siblings were wealthy landowners all of my direct decedents either worked other peoples land or their own land to support their families. In all of my research I have never found where they owned slaves or anything else for that matter that was considered a luxury back in those days.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
when did Leonard Town become one word, real quick look 1921 it is one work.... ???????

Last edited: