'Roots' Reborn: How a Slave Saga Was Remade for the Black Lives Matter Era

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
'Roots' Reborn: How a Slave Saga Was Remade for the Black Lives Matter Era

Forty years after the original gripped half the nation (literally), a more violent and more accurate remake is here, gambling on big stars including Forest Whitaker and Anna Paquin and the unresolved emotional core of America's toughest conversation: "He was calling me a n—er, but at the end of the scene he was in tears."

"Forgive me if this day becomes slightly emotional for me," says LeVar Burton. "Being here in this house, at this particular time in history. This is a moment."

This house being the White House. This moment being a daylong event — hosted by Valerie Jarrett, the president's closest adviser — devoted to A+E Networks' Roots, a reimagining of the blockbuster 1977 miniseries about several generations of a slave family. The four-part, eight-hour project will debut on Memorial Day (May 30), airing simultaneously on History, Lifetime and A&E. The White House screening and panel discussion is a key step toward making Roots not just a successful television show but also an old-fashioned, watercooler-style collective cultural event.

Burton was a 19-year-old student at USC when he starred in the original as Kunta Kinte, the Mandinka warrior who is kidnapped from West Africa and sold into slavery in America. Burton now is an executive producer of the new version, passing on the career-defining lead role to 26-year-old Malachi Kirby, a second-generation Londoner whose grandparents came from Jamaica.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I watched it the first time around, and I was glued to the tv. Of course, back in the day, we still learned about slavery in schools. I don't know if it's still taught today. I can't imagine how they would have time, with all the test preparation and brainwashing they have to do, but I digress. It was great to see this come to life, and it was great to hear people talking about it. I think this is a bad time to re-do and release this movie. There are too many angry blacks, and too many guilty whites. I don't think this movie is going to improve things.

Freefaller

I watched it the first time around, and I was glued to the tv. Of course, back in the day, we still learned about slavery in schools. I don't know if it's still taught today. I can't imagine how they would have time, with all the test preparation and brainwashing they have to do, but I digress. It was great to see this come to life, and it was great to hear people talking about it. I think this is a bad time to re-do and release this movie. There are too many angry blacks, and too many guilty whites. I don't think this movie is going to improve things.

With all due respect, I don't feel, never have felt, and never will feel, even one pang of guilt for being white.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not sure of the relevance of the President to this conversation, since his people were never slaves?

mitzi

This is the first I've heard of the remake. I don't think it will top the original, the actors/actresses were incredible. Speaking of movies about slavery, did anyone watch Underground recently. I can't think of the cable channel it was on right now but it was really good. It was renewed for a second season to air next year.