Smith Island Cruise

dave1959

Out of point Lookout over to Smith Island,

Anyone ever take one ? What did you think.
Looks like a nice day trip for this weekend..

itsbob

I bowl overhand

It's a check the box kind of thing.. do it, no need to do it again.

The boat ride itself is nice.. the Island? You have to bring your own alcohol as there is no sales on the island. There is only one "good" as in decent shape, restaurant on the island and it's owned (my understanding) by the same person who owns and operates the tour boats. We did the other restaurant and we had the soft shell crab.. tasted like the oil hadn't been changed in their frier for about a year.

You can walk around the island, not much to see. Lot of houses for sale.. pretty rundown.. There's a museum.. again, I think owned by the same person..

You go as a large group with a bunch of coolers THAT would be fun.. you know, hanging with your Peeps YO! But the cruise itself? Meh...

We've done it, really can't see a reason to do it again, but we said the same thing about Gibraltar.. been there, done that.. move on.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Heading over in our boat has been on the "to-do list" for about ever. But as Bob noted, there is such a limited selection of things to do on Smith Island that we find ourselves always drawn instead to marinas in Deltaville, Colonial Beach, even Solomons Island..places like that where there are a bunch of restaurants, bars, etc..

One of these days we'll cruise over to Smith Island though...just to check it off the list.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I went a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Smith Island is like the land that time forgot and it's neat to see how they live. The boat ride over was enjoyable, then we had a lunch at the big restaurant, and after that went on an island tour. TAKE YOUR CAMERA!!!

You can get a guided tour, but what's fun is to rent a bike and tour that way. Make arrangements for your boat captain to take you to Tylerton, too, because it's a terrific experience. Honestly, Smith Island would be a great weekend getaway, not just for a day trip.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Many years ago, I went with a group of ladies. It was a nice boat ride and the food was alright at the restaurant and we poked around the island for awhile. We rented golf carts instead of bicycles (the ladies were much older than me). It was alright but I don't know if I would do it again.

Bonehead

Not worth the time, $ and effort. Nothing much there. The high point was cruising by the target ship.

Bonehead

It might have been the rough water on the way back, room full of people puking on the floor. Then there was one group drinking tequila. I was out on deck wedged into a corner railing getting slapped by waves. One older woman looked at me and said "you ain't right" when we docked and got off the boat.

frequentflier

happy to be living
It might have been the rough water on the way back, room full of people puking on the floor. Then there was one group drinking tequila. I was out on deck wedged into a corner railing getting slapped by waves. One older woman looked at me and said "you ain't right" when we docked and got off the boat.

Why? because you didn't join in the tequila puke fest?

FettZilla

I went on it 3 years ago with family. It's about an hour or more to get to Smith Island. There's one restaurant and a gift shop. Heck, I even got a t-shirt.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
BWAHAHA "you ain't right" That is a true Smith Islander statement.

Love to listen to them talk, lots of "BACKWARDS" Speak , Its Hot, really cold out, SHes "Ugly" Meaning shes very Pretty !!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think I'd go with just Tracey and I.. but if there was a good group with coolers we'd be onboard in a second.. It's not the destination but the people you're with.

Monello and I would be there just ourselves. We're geeks about local culture and how other people live.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
if you've not been, you do need to experience it once, Its been on a slow decline, I've been going over there for 20+ years, some wonderful time and GREAT foodie experiences. On a good note, a coworker said he saw in a eastern shore paper that the island is getting help with shoreline restoration !!!!

It's been some 20 years since I did that trip. The boat ride was great, the interest factor on the island is just ok. At that time the price of the trip included a lunch at that one restaurant, don't know if they do that anymore. By the time you finish lunch, there isn't a whole lot of time to explore (not that there is much to explore...). At that time they had golf carts you could rent.

Did it, done it, no need to do it again.

BUT.... Smith Island is known for their "Smith Island Cakes", at least 7 layers. If you see a spot to buy one, do so, if for no other reason that to say you've experienced the Smith Island Cake.

keekee

It's been some 20 years since I did that trip. The boat ride was great, the interest factor on the island is just ok. At that time the price of the trip included a lunch at that one restaurant, don't know if they do that anymore. By the time you finish lunch, there isn't a whole lot of time to explore (not that there is much to explore...). At that time they had golf carts you could rent.

Did it, done it, no need to do it again.

BUT.... Smith Island is known for their "Smith Island Cakes", at least 7 layers. If you see a spot to buy one, do so, if for no other reason that to say you've experienced the Smith Island Cake.

I've always heard the cakes are not made on Smith Island, maybe not even in Maryland if I remember correctly?
I don't know if that's true or not...?

Roman

I've always heard the cakes are not made on Smith Island, maybe not even in Maryland if I remember correctly?
I don't know if that's true or not...?
A friend of ours was born and raised on Smith Island. He goes every year to get cakes for friends. He said they are made there. Just so happens that his last name IS Smith! LOL He's got the coolest accent, but at times, I have to ask him what he just said.