How early is too early to mow your lawn?

PeoplesElbow

This morning I started at 07:30 and there had already been someone nearby mowing for half an hour. One morning I was going to work and someone was mowing at 06:15, I would be worried about annoying the neighbors, even the ones with the rooster that crows 24 hrs a day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The unofficial rule in my old hood was 10am. If someone started at 9, that would have been acceptable as well. Anything before that and you're going to be unpopular with the neighbors. Lawn mowers irritate dogs and makes them bark, which is why your neighbors prefer you don't set their dog off at 6am.

Forkian

I would think it would be kinda rude if a neighbor started mowing before 8 am. I always wait until at least 9 am before making a bunch of noise outside.

Roman

I agree that 9:00 AM is perfect Because of the heat, I wouldn't mind if someone started at 7, or 8.

PeoplesElbow

The unofficial rule in my old hood was 10am. If someone started at 9, that would have been acceptable as well. Anything before that and you're going to be unpopular with the neighbors. Lawn mowers irritate dogs and makes them bark, which is why your neighbors prefer you don't set their dog off at 6am.

I would actually care about the dogs if they didn't leave them out all night barking. That damn rooster is way more annoying though.

OldHillcrestGuy

I do the 9am thing and usually start toward back of my yard, or to the side where Im not 30 feet from the neighbors bedroom window, which gives them maybe 20 more minutes before I come by to get out front. What gets me is the damn trash truck, most of the folks in my hood use the transfer station in Charlotte Hall (its so close to us) but there are still some that have trash pickup. There are 2, maybe 3 different companies that come through and one gets here about 4:55am and makes all kinds of noise either compacting the trash in the truck or dropping those big ass cans on the street.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I don't like mowing the grass when it is still wet from the condensation over night.
But if I have too, I will not start until 10 AM.

Smith

Maryland noise regulations are based upon the type of property, and the time of day. For residential properties, 65dB is maximum during the daytime, and 55dB at night. Sound levels are to be measured on the receiving property, not the source. Daytime is considering 7:00AM-10:00PM.

http://www.mde.maryland.gov/program...blications/general/eMDE/vol5no2/Article6.aspx

As for mowing the lawn, I prefer to wait until the grass has dried out from the dew overnight, and for me that is usually some time after noon (lots of shade).

PeoplesElbow

Several people here mentioned dew, I have lived here over 15 years and I think it rarely gets below the dew point in the summer here, maybe I am just use to where I used to live where we would have lots of dew every morning because nite time usually got down to the 50s of 60s even if it was in the 90s during the day. It rarely drops below 70 here at night.

I generally don't make noise until 8:00. Would start cutting as early as 7:00 depending on circumstances. Granted, the neighbor's bedroom is at the far other end of the house, and they are elevated above me, so my mowing shouldn't bother them either way.

OrneryPest

lower life form
Since I use either a battery-electric or a manual reel mower (depending on what I'm mowing) I can start any time without much noise to bother anybody, but I usually wait until about 10:30 or 11:00 just because the grass is easier to mow after all the dew is dried off of it. And oh by the way, I'm up and out of bed by 4:30 most mornings anyhow (just because I'm an insufferable wirehead) so it doesn't bother me a bit if one of my neighbors wants to start mowing that early.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I tend to not start mowing until nine or ten, mainly to give time for the grass to dry out a bit from the dew.

Roman

Since I use either a battery-electric or a manual reel mower (depending on what I'm mowing) I can start any time without much noise to bother anybody, but I usually wait until about 10:30 or 11:00 just because the grass is easier to mow after all the dew is dried off of it. And oh by the way, I'm up and out of bed by 4:30 most mornings anyhow (just because I'm an insufferable wirehead) so it doesn't bother me a bit if one of my neighbors wants to start mowing that early.
Happy Birthday OP!