Canine URI

Chris0nllyn

Anyone had to deal with this?

Any home-type remedies/things to make our dog a bit more comfortable?

We've never had a dog go through this, and it's the sickest we've ever seen our little girl.

She's on antibiotics, and it's only been a day, but I'm not sure what else we can do to help her feel better.

Roman

Take her to the Vet. These type of things need antibiotics. Make sure her gums are pink. If not, she might have it worse than you thought. Get well puppy!

Chris0nllyn

Sorry your poor girl is going thru that. Not sure what to do, have you tried baby aspirin to relieve the pain?

We thought about it, but the antibiotics she's on need to be given with food as it upsets her stomach. I don't want to add anything else that would do that.

Take her to the Vet. These type of things need antibiotics. Make sure her gums are pink. If not, she might have it worse than you thought. Get well puppy!

She went to the puppy hospital yesterday (had to cut our vacation short). Tests for lyme, heartworms, etc. were all negative. She's on antibiotics now. We've continually been checking her gums to be sure they are pink, then return pink after pressing on them. We've also been keeping an eye on her fever. Yesterday it was 103.5 when she was seen. It's spiked a bit, but dropped to 102.7 a few hours ago. It's just strange how well she was when we dropped her off on Friday, and we get a call Sun. saying she was acting funny, then the bottom fell out yesterday.

She's still eating a bland diet (rice and boiled ground beef and sweet potatoes) and drinking water. She coughs a bit after drinking, but hasn't stopped drinking all together and she's going to the bathroom regularly.

I've heard putting her in a steamy bathroom would help her breathing. We've been giving her cool showers to try and drop her temp some and just keeping her comfortable and preventing her from exuding too much energy.

Just never seen her this sick in 7 years. She's our fur baby and it's stressful. Thank you both for the kind words.

Roman

I feel like a dummy. I didn't see where you said she was on medication already. She will be fine in a couple of days. It takes time for the medicine to kick in. You are doing all the right things. Keep us up-to-date on her recovery. I wonder if she caught the puppy flu while in the kennel?
We thought about it, but the antibiotics she's on need to be given with food as it upsets her stomach. I don't want to add anything else that would do that.

She went to the puppy hospital yesterday (had to cut our vacation short). Tests for lyme, heartworms, etc. were all negative. She's on antibiotics now. We've continually been checking her gums to be sure they are pink, then return pink after pressing on them. We've also been keeping an eye on her fever. Yesterday it was 103.5 when she was seen. It's spiked a bit, but dropped to 102.7 a few hours ago. It's just strange how well she was when we dropped her off on Friday, and we get a call Sun. saying she was acting funny, then the bottom fell out yesterday.

She's still eating a bland diet (rice and boiled ground beef and sweet potatoes) and drinking water. She coughs a bit after drinking, but hasn't stopped drinking all together and she's going to the bathroom regularly.

I've heard putting her in a steamy bathroom would help her breathing. We've been giving her cool showers to try and drop her temp some and just keeping her comfortable and preventing her from exuding too much energy.

Just never seen her this sick in 7 years. She's our fur baby and it's stressful. Thank you both for the kind words.

frequentflier

happy to be living

We sell a cranberry blend. If she is on antibiotics, you may want to to try some probiotics and or plain yogurt to help with the stomach upset.
Hope she feels better soon.

Chris0nllyn

I feel like a dummy. I didn't see where you said she was on medication already. She will be fine in a couple of days. It takes time for the medicine to kick in. You are doing all the right things. Keep us up-to-date on her recovery. I wonder if she caught the puppy flu while in the kennel?

Will do, thank you.

The vet said her white blood cell was pretty high so it must have been going on awhile. She's a diva, so it surprised me that we didn't notice anything abnormal.

My MIL dog-sat for us, and she doesn't have any dogs. It's weird.

Now I'm worried that her sister may get it. We're trying to keep them separated enough, not share water bowls, etc., but her sister can't stand being away from her. She whined and cried in the vet's office when she was taken away, and slept near her all night last night (normally she jumps at any opportunity to sleep under the blankets in the bed).

We sell a cranberry blend. If she is on antibiotics, you may want to to try some probiotics and or plain yogurt to help with the stomach upset.
Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks. We'll try that as well.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Will do, thank you.

The vet said her white blood cell was pretty high so it must have been going on awhile. She's a diva, so it surprised me that we didn't notice anything abnormal.

My MIL dog-sat for us, and she doesn't have any dogs. It's weird.

Now I'm worried that her sister may get it. We're trying to keep them separated enough, not share water bowls, etc., but her sister can't stand being away from her. She whined and cried in the vet's office when she was taken away, and slept near her all night last night (normally she jumps at any opportunity to sleep under the blankets in the bed).

Thanks. We'll try that as well.

I misread it and thought it was a UTI.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Not for nothing but MY allergies are worse than I can ever remember them being and the weather here this spring/summer has been all over the place. Lots of dampness, inconsistent temperatures and pollen. I am giving one dog Benedryl sometimes twice daily. Even my cats are sneezing. I am not a vet and will not claim to know more than they do but with the number of people I talk to daily and the number of animals and people suffering from respiratory distress, I wonder if this is more environmental than "caught from another dog" (like kennel cough)?

Chris0nllyn

Not for nothing but MY allergies are worse than I can ever remember them being and the weather here this spring/summer has been all over the place. Lots of dampness, inconsistent temperatures and pollen. I am giving one dog Benedryl sometimes twice daily. Even my cats are sneezing. I am not a vet and will not claim to know more than they do but with the number of people I talk to daily and the number of animals and people suffering from respiratory distress, I wonder if this is more environmental than "caught from another dog" (like kennel cough)?

That's my thought also.

Before we left, the windows had been open for some time. My wife's allergies are horrible right now and she feel like absolute garbage.

Got home last night and she barked when the door opened (she hadn't done that before), she's drinking a ton of water and eating a good amount of food.

Her fever is still up and down. Going from 102-ish to upwards of 104 at times. She looks so sick it breaks my heart.

Chris0nllyn

How's the pup doing Chris?

Still sick as all hell.

We spoke to our normal vet, and we added another antibiotic and a fever reducing medicine. Her eyes have been puffy and discharging so the vet gave us some eye meds too.

She's eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, and now able to gingerly walk around. Her fever is down to the 101 range and she's coughing a bit more which hopefully means it's breaking up.

She's visibly getting better, much better than a few days ago, but the poor girl is just so worn out.

Thank you for asking!

Last night, her sister was pacing around our bed all night. I finally let her in the bed when I was getting ready this morning. She cuddled up right next to her, laid there, and fell asleep. It's all she wanted all night was to be next to her sister.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Still sick as all hell.

We spoke to our normal vet, and we added another antibiotic and a fever reducing medicine. Her eyes have been puffy and discharging so the vet gave us some eye meds too.

She's eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, and now able to gingerly walk around. Her fever is down to the 101 range and she's coughing a bit more which hopefully means it's breaking up.

She's visibly getting better, much better than a few days ago, but the poor girl is just so worn out.

Thank you for asking!

Hope she's on the mend and back to her normal self soon. Did you try giving her any probiotics/yogurt? She cannot tell you but she probably has an upset stomach from the antibiotics (think of how they tear your gut up!)

Chris0nllyn

Hope she's on the mend and back to her normal self soon. Did you try giving her any probiotics/yogurt? She cannot tell you but she probably has an upset stomach from the antibiotics (think of how they tear your gut up!)

We did (thank you!).

She wouldn't eat her ground beef/sweet potatoes/rice slop.

Then my wife got home, gave her a big bowl of yogurt, ground beef, rice, and water (looked like sausage gravy :lol:) and she TORE it up. Ate the whole bowl in one sitting.

Roman

I am really happy to read she's on the mend. Man, that was some kind of bug she had. Sounds horrible. I don't know if the doggie flu shot would have helped to prevent this, but my girls get theirs every year.

Chris0nllyn

I am really happy to read she's on the mend. Man, that was some kind of bug she had. Sounds horrible. I don't know if the doggie flu shot would have helped to prevent this, but my girls get theirs every year.

Yea, it was scary there for awhile. She's still real sick, but she's at least getting better.

I didn't even know that was a thing! I'll ask the vet about it when we see them again.