Calvert High Graduation

xobxdoc

Mostly uneventful. They did give the warning up front about the use of airhorns but neglected to mention anything about whistles. One way to cut down on the crowds is to enforce a dress code. It looked like some just got off their lawn mower. The superintendent's speech was avery awkward rap attempting to relate to the yutes.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This brings to mind all the posters, signs, banners, etc... hanging on bridges and such going up rt 4. How long have they been doing this? I've lived in Calvert for about 11 years and commuted to Andrews the entire time, and every year see these things. Some parents go as far as making huge plywood billboards with life size photos of their child graduate. This just wasn't something parents in my day did. So, I guess I don't get all the adoration and praise.

Chris0nllyn

This brings to mind all the posters, signs, banners, etc... hanging on bridges and such going up rt 4. How long have they been doing this? I've lived in Calvert for about 11 years and commuted to Andrews the entire time, and every year see these things. Some parents go as far as making huge plywood billboards with life size photos of their child graduate. This just wasn't something parents in my day did. So, I guess I don't get all the adoration and praise.

Yea, it seems to grow every year.

I think it's only a matter of time before it's determined a hazard and they stop folks from doing it.

It used to be sheets and spray paint. Now there's professionally printed banners with photos and everything on them.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Don't know whether to laugh or cry, a lot of material for a comedy routine in here - thinking Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the cable guy type jokes.

When did we become so slovenly that we need a "dress code" for a high school graduation?
Have we lost the sense of decorum as to how to behave at a "milestone" event.

Ever wonder why we have a generation that cannot speak, read or write proper English? Educators are to busy "making it real".

Last edited:
Don't no whether to laugh or cry, a lot of material for a comedy routine in here - thinking Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the cable guy type jokes.

When did we become so slovenly that we need a "dress code" for a high school graduation?
Have we lost the sense of decorum as to how to behave at a "milestone" event.

Ever wonder why we have a generation that cannot speak, read or write proper English? Educators are to busy "making it real".

:yeahthat:

:neener:

I don't understand why some parents are so obnoxiously over-excited about their child graduating. Yes, it's a milestone. Yes, not all children actually put in the effort to graduate. Yes, you can be proud of your child's accomplishment. But seriously... I just don't get why some make such a huge deal out of it. We expect them to graduate. They should expect it for themselves. Personally, I would see nothing wrong with foregoing the ceremonies and mailing the diplomas. :shrug:

Smith

I can remember seeing signs/banners on the Green Landing Rd bridge as far back as the early/mid 80's, and that was when Calvert's & Northern's graduations were held at the Cap Center. Not nearly as many, and definitely not as elaborate as they are now though.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I can remember seeing signs/banners on the Green Landing Rd bridge as far back as the early/mid 80's, and that was when Calvert's & Northern's graduations were held at the Cap Center. Not nearly as many, and definitely not as elaborate as they are now though.

So, this is sort of a long-standing tradition.

I don't understand why some parents are so obnoxiously over-excited about their child graduating. Yes, it's a milestone. Yes, not all children actually put in the effort to graduate. Yes, you can be proud of your child's accomplishment. But seriously... I just don't get why some make such a huge deal out of it. We expect them to graduate. They should expect it for themselves. Personally, I would see nothing wrong with foregoing the ceremonies and mailing the diplomas. :shrug:

:clap:

bilbur

Good for all the graduates. Hopefully most of them will realize this is not the end of their academia but truly just the start. Even if they don't go to college they will need to develop a skill to one day be in a rewarding career. There are many entry-level positions listed in the classifieds for everything from plumbers apprentice to helpdesk technician. Money won't pour in overnight but years of experience in any skilled labor position will eventually provide for a comfortable living.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I don't understand why some parents are so obnoxiously over-excited about their child graduating. QUOTE]

because they might be the first in the family to do so. A major accomplishment.

You'll get exclamations of wonderment but that's very true, even in 2016. And it cuts across racial lines (not so much socio-economic). You really see it with boys, not so much with girls.

I had a kid who made it all the way to 11th grade a few years ago. Her family really gave her #### about it since 9th grade had been Senior year for the rest of them. Anyway, she got knocked up after Prom her Junior year. The family was positive she'd drop out then. She didn't and graduated on time. Then she started at PGCC for Nursing That's when the parents kicked her and her kid out of the house. She was "thinking she was better than them". She wasn't she just didn't follow the family's pattern.

She was White, by the way.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
That is sad. I do hope she completed her nursing degree and got herself in a better situation.

mitzi

I think you need your parents permission to withdraw from high school in Maryland. At least, it was that way 10 years ago. If they don't finish school, the blame is on the parents.

Last edited: