Cost of Living

Aimhigh2000

Ok, I know I work in DC and I have a great salary, but how in the world do some people make it on these crappy pay scales I see listed for county government? With the price of housing and all, how can someone really afford to live off of $24,000 a year? I was reading in the classifieds for some jobs in the area that require a degree, but want to pay like $9.00/hr. Are they mad? I have my degree, working on my PhD, and I couldn't spend four years of college for 9 bux an hour. I had thought about perhaps finding a job closer to home, but I think I will continue to make the trek up to DC. You'da thunk that with Pax River and all the politicians "on our side to save it" they would throw in the bux to at least let people afford to enjoy living down here. Not a thought, just a sermon.:cheers:

CMC122

Go Braves!
My husband and I talk about this alot. I think most people just have credit out the ying yang:shrug: And live day to day :ohwell:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
After...:ohwell:
:poorbaby: You should apply at Choo-Choo's, the pay isn't much more, but they give you free nachos in between sets. :shrug:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by Aimhigh2000
Ok, I know I work in DC and I have a great salary, but how in the world do some people make it on these crappy pay scales I see listed for county government?

Even though the benefits are good and the job is secured the pay does leave a lot to be desired. I love working at my job though b/c I don't have to fight the base traffic and since I live 5 minutes from my job I now save some on gas.

Aimhigh2000

Business

Business Administration with a minor in Computer Information Systems (Magna Cum Laude) Masters in Public Administration (Summa) and starting my PhD in Business Administration @ GWU and learning to fly as well. ( I don't have a full plate do I?)

Aimhigh2000

Smart?

You wouldn't think so if you saw my HS report cards. Guess the Air Force did help me to focus. Not really smart, but I test well.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Ok, I know I work in DC and I have a great salary, but how in the world do some people make it on these crappy pay scales I see listed for county government? With the price of housing and all, how can someone really afford to live off of $24,000 a year? I was reading in the classifieds for some jobs in the area that require a degree, but want to pay like $9.00/hr. Are they mad? I have my degree, working on my PhD, and I couldn't spend four years of college for 9 bux an hour. I had thought about perhaps finding a job closer to home, but I think I will continue to make the trek up to DC. You'da thunk that with Pax River and all the politicians "on our side to save it" they would throw in the bux to at least let people afford to enjoy living down here. Not a thought, just a sermon.:cheers:

They're either good with money (I wasn't much better with 26,000 or a part time job with even less), or they're up to their chest in debt and living paycheck to paycheck as CMC noted.

Ponytail

Re: Business

Business Administration with a minor in Computer Information Systems (Magna Cum Laude) Masters in Public Administration (Summa) and starting my PhD in Business Administration @ GWU and learning to fly as well. ( I don't have a full plate do I?)

Haev you considered going back to school for engineering? :lol:

Sounds like you're going for an HR position. They rarely pay well. Try a temp agency. HR positions are usually available with them, and the payrate is usually quite a bit higher for contract folks than direct hires.

Aimhigh2000

Noo, not HR

HR is horrid. I was thinking maybe County Commissioner or..........Governor? Imagine that. Fairy dust all over 'Napolis ROFL

claire

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by claire
My payscale is great down here, and I have ZERO degree, merely my AF experience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by BigSlam123b
Well color me excited.

I was just adding my opinion. :duh: I wasn't trying to brag. :duh:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I make just enough to pay for my car insurance, college bills, books, and gas with just a little bit left over for my personal use. Even if I were able to move out and pay not even one cent of rent I would still not make it. However, two years of my college studies are paid off and I will never have to pay off some cruddy college loan in the future.:dance: