Small roads around St Mrys College, watch your cars/stuff

glhs837

Power with Control
Neighbor lady got her vehicle stolen from her driveway last night. Left her keys in it. Small road, surrounded by woods, pretty tranquil, most exciting thing to happen here was the young guy from the college who would park and smoke a joint at lunchtimes a couple years back. Lots of them in that area. Normally stuff like this means the hoodlums are making sweeps of an area, they will go down the road dropping one or two bozos off to go check parked cars for valuables. So if you live in that area, or know someone who does, tell them to up their vigilance level a notch or two.

I'm guilty of leaving the keys in some of the vehicles, usually the beater BMW, never the wife's Jeep, and we never leave wallets or purses.

bilbur

Neighbor lady got her vehicle stolen from her driveway last night. Left her keys in it. Small road, surrounded by woods, pretty tranquil, most exciting thing to happen here was the young guy from the college who would park and smoke a joint at lunchtimes a couple years back. Lots of them in that area. Normally stuff like this means the hoodlums are making sweeps of an area, they will go down the road dropping one or two bozos off to go check parked cars for valuables. So if you live in that area, or know someone who does, tell them to up their vigilance level a notch or two.

I'm guilty of leaving the keys in some of the vehicles, usually the beater BMW, never the wife's Jeep, and we never leave wallets or purses.

Isn't that sad? Growing up here 30 years ago my family and my parents neighbors never locked their houses or cars. Even in parking lots my parents would never lock their car. Now I lock my truck even in my parents driveway because it is a force of habit. Even locked I never keep anything of value in it. It is hard to deny that the county is prospering and better off financially then 30 years ago but I do miss the secure feeling we used to have as a small town.

3CATSAILOR

What has happened in the past is one or two SMCM students go for a short joy ride and dump it a few miles down the road.

glhs837

Power with Control
Given it was dumped near the trailer park and small stuff was taken from inside, and schools out, not very likely

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, it's pretty much us five houses surrounded by almost 150 acres of woods. And in my defense, the one I did leave keys in is the $1500 dollar beater BMW :)

red_explorer

Waterview Drive

Neighbor had her car broken into the other night. Stole her purse. Purse was found in the woods nearby. Wallet was found along rt 5.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Your thread made me remember that last year my hub went on an overnight run at the college; it was actually an event to help the college runners to practice. He came back to his car and found the Jaguar finial ripped off the hood of his car. He was shocked and so was I. Disheartening, to say the least. Local stories like this just add to the angst that is becoming America. I am scared what is going to happen in the future. Not for me, but for my progeny.

I have to say that I never leave my keys or personal belongings in my unlocked car. I don't get why people do that. The police reports have many instances that things are stolen out of unlocked cars. IMO, if you leave your car unlocked, then you suffer the consequences. It is different if a window is broken to get in. Why make it easier for the thief? Just wondering.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Isn't that sad? Growing up here 30 years ago my family and my parents neighbors never locked their houses or cars. Even in parking lots my parents would never lock their car. Now I lock my truck even in my parents driveway because it is a force of habit. Even locked I never keep anything of value in it. It is hard to deny that the county is prospering and better off financially then 30 years ago but I do miss the secure feeling we used to have as a small town.

It is very sad that we have to lock everything, now. I lived in those days when nothing was locked. Hub and I are so in the habit now of locking the front door that sometimes we lock each other out when we take the dog out, or whatever. :lol: Sad times we live in.

DannyMotorcycle

There was a lady on fb posting about her Japanese sedan and her husband's Jeep were stolen out of the driveway. At first I figured a burglary but now I suppose they left their keys in them.

glhs837

Power with Control
Any idea where that was? Also what's nuts is that factory anti theft is good enough that the odds of anyone taking your ride without the keys is slim to none.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, that's odd. Two vehicles, same driveway? Insurance, perhaps? Or the bad guys got the keys from inside? Or perhaps a snatch truck, but those seem pretty pedestrian vehicles for that. It's simply not that easy to "hotwire" modern vehicles anymore. Depends on how old they are of course, that is a factor.

DannyMotorcycle

i'm liking my burglary and finding the keys theory or maybe they had the keys stashed outside together under a rock or something, and the thieves found them..

Granted- I grew up in a city so it was a gimme to lock the car and never leave anything in view. Pop out radios were quite popular as well so a decent system wouldnt cause your windows to be broken.
So when I read people leave things like purses in the car I cant feel badly when they are stolen. Thats dumb as ####t. Would you leave your purse at the last store you went to since you'll probably go back there next week anyway? Seriously- are you surprised someone simply opens an unlocked door and takes anything they can grab? Keys left in a car I have no words for. I dont care if you live in utopia where a crime has never happened. Its on of the dumber thing I see around here- cars left running while people go in stores and keys left behind in general. When someone takes the car its their wrong, no doubt, but we have to protect ourselves or else it sort of is our own fault when stupid things happen to us, isnt it?

glhs837

Power with Control
Agreed, if you make your stuff easy to take, people will take it. My point was that the ones that do it are evidently hitting smaller less dense areas now. I know a lot of folks in this general area are on here, os it was my warning to dial back the complacency. Used to be, it was places like Town Creek. Not tiny side roads where you cant seen the next house through the trees.

PeoplesElbow

Agreed, if you make your stuff easy to take, people will take it. My point was that the ones that do it are evidently hitting smaller less dense areas now. I know a lot of folks in this general area are on here, os it was my warning to dial back the complacency. Used to be, it was places like Town Creek. Not tiny side roads where you cant seen the next house through the trees.

Its a lot easier to do in those places because nobody sees who did it.

Goldenhawk

Agreed, if you make your stuff easy to take, people will take it.
I watched quite a few episodes of "Bait Car"... it's really depressing how many of the perps who stole stuff from the cars (rather than stole the car) said to each other "Oh, hey, they left me a ..." or "Oh, hey, my ..." - and really meant it! Kinda like they were raised to believe that anything not personally being carried by another human being was free property for whoever found it unattended. Car, phone, laptop, CDs, whatever. If it's there and not tied down, it's theirs. A real entitlement mentality exists in quite a few people.