I need to replace the gutters on my house

glhs837

Power with Control
I want to do the same. The 4 inch gutters can't seem to handle the down pours we get on a regular basis.

Depends on your roofs square footage you are asking it to drain, six inch is usually reserved for very large roofs or those with steep pitches that increase the square footage. I would take a real close look at the drain system first. Small or insufficient downspouts or a poor design of where that water drains would seem a more likely issue than four inch gutters being too small, unless you have a huge roof. On my rental house, I needed downspouts on both ends simply because the house is 40 feet long and you cannot drain that much gutter through one downspout. and I know this because I did the math before I installed them. Here's a good caluator so you can see if that really is your issue.

http://northclad.com/gutter-sizing-calculator/

imaref

No matter who you choose, insist that they use gutter screws to install them rather than nails. Last winter my neighbor's one gutter got clogged with heavy snow/ice/water and the gutter couldn't support the weight (her gutters were installed with nails rather than screws). The gutter tore away from the house and caused alot of damage. After I saw that, I paid a handyman to replace all of the nails holding my gutters with the "J" type gutter screws with the built in hangers.

General Lee

Depends on your roofs square footage you are asking it to drain, six inch is usually reserved for very large roofs or those with steep pitches that increase the square footage. I would take a real close look at the drain system first. Small or insufficient downspouts or a poor design of where that water drains would seem a more likely issue than four inch gutters being too small, unless you have a huge roof. On my rental house, I needed downspouts on both ends simply because the house is 40 feet long and you cannot drain that much gutter through one downspout. and I know this because I did the math before I installed them. Here's a good caluator so you can see if that really is your issue.

http://northclad.com/gutter-sizing-calculator/

Interesting. Thanks. I do have a lot of roof and A lot of it is either 8/12 or 10/12 pitch.

ginwoman

Interesting thread. I was just telling my husband that I want us to get good gutters that he will not have to go on the roof to clean. It scares the $h!# out of me when he does that. He straps his big azz blower on his back and walks around and blows leaves. The whole time I'm afraid to look but afraid not to look.

Sounds like Bob Green would be a good place to start.

Bob Green did all my gutters when replacing the roof. They use a flat, perforated top cover to the gutter that works better than anything I had before, but it's still not perfect. Very small trash can still get thru causing a plug at the downspout. Because the covers are pretty much part of the gutter, they don't come off easily to clean the gutters if you have to.

Older gutters, if in good shape, can be retrofitted with the same covers.