St Mary's homeless help

Redskinsmama16

I've heard before that there are homeless "camps" around the county, but I've never run across them. If they do exist, I would like to drop off cases of water since it's starting to get hot and muggy. Has anyone come across this before?

I know where the food pantry/mission are located on Great Mills, but I imagine not everyone uses their services.

bilbur

I've heard before that there are homeless "camps" around the county, but I've never run across them. If they do exist, I would like to drop off cases of water since it's starting to get hot and muggy. Has anyone come across this before?

I know where the food pantry/mission are located on Great Mills, but I imagine not everyone uses their services.

There used to be a few tents behind Wyle and there was also a small camp across the street from the movie theater in the park. This was a few years ago so I don't know if they are still there. The sheriffs office would know where the camps are and it might be a good idea to have them go with you. I know years ago one of the guys in the camp by the theater was caught exposing himself to children. It is sad to say but even though you are giving them free stuff they are still unpredictable, most of them are homeless for legal and mental reasons.

glhs837

Power with Control
Concur, I think construction has overcome those two you mentioned and while I know where is another one, I think talking to the Sheriffs office, specifically the COPS unit that operates in that are would be a good thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's nice of you, but homeless camps are typically not the safest places to visit. Like Bilbur said, those folks are homeless for a reason - usually that reason is mental illness, and many times they are violent. If you want to help, contact Three Oaks Center - http://www.threeoakscenter.org/ - and they will be able to give you information.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's nice of you, but homeless camps are typically not the safest places to visit. Like Bilbur said, those folks are homeless for a reason - usually that reason is mental illness, and many times they are violent. If you want to help, contact Three Oaks Center - http://www.threeoakscenter.org/ - and they will be able to give you information.

In fact, the one camp I know of is serviced by the Three Oaks Center, that's where we take stuff we would like to be distributed.