Brand New Visitor To Back Yard

Popster

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

Popster

When we first saw her she was still wet! Now there is another one out there. I though the Canon Powershot 20X zoom handheld did a pretty good job!

littlelady

God bless the USA
Beautiful to see a new life begin. Just don't let those 'deeries' eat your plants. They love hostas! I am never without my deer away spray. It really has worked since I started using it. Before the spray, my flower bed always had the chomped look!

Popster

I just returned with Hattie from a run (9:30 pm). I drive the truck and she runs along side. We came up on a new fawn alongside the road. It was only 3-4 inches taller than Hattie. They are dropping those babies like mad.

ginwoman

So many around here. And they are so tame. Its going to be a mess this fall with them on the roads getting hit. I wonder if they'll have a special hunting rule to allow hunters to shoot a lot of them.

It's not tame, they just haven't developed/been taught a sense of fear yet.

And as cute as you might think they are, do not approach or touch them. Once your scent gets on a fawn, the mother will abandon it.

Roman

It's not tame, they just haven't developed/been taught a sense of fear yet.

And as cute as you might think they are, do not approach or touch them. Once your scent gets on a fawn, the mother will abandon it.
I might be wrong, but I think that might be a wives tale. I think our parents told us that so that we didn't bring wild critters home

littlelady

God bless the USA
I might be wrong, but I think that might be a wives tale. I think our parents told us that so that we didn't bring wild critters home

:lol: Can we keep the baby deer, turtle, squirrel, bird, etc. Pleeeaaassseee! Hub saw a new fawn cornered in the neighbors yard one day by their dog when they weren't home. He ran down to help and the deer followed him out of the yard and hub even patted it on the head. I think that they are so used to people smells, anymore, that the does/moms will not reject them. We see plenty of babies around here. I have been wrong before. Jmo, yo! :smile:

littlelady

God bless the USA

Good facts, but that is in a perfect world that doesn't exist, anymore. But, thanks for the link!

Point in fact. A turtle laid her eggs in our yard years ago, and hub put them all in a basket and carried them down to the water. We monitored them, and they were born, and seemed to thrive. I think that humans encroaching on wildlife habitats have changed the balance greatly. I saw your post in another thread about the zoo thing. Animals rely on humans to survive in some capacity in this day and age. Yes, humans screw up a lot, but it is in our nature to help; so to speak. :smile:

littlelady

God bless the USA
So many around here. And they are so tame. Its going to be a mess this fall with them on the roads getting hit. I wonder if they'll have a special hunting rule to allow hunters to shoot a lot of them.

As far as I know, they have that rule every year. It is sad, but necessary because they will starve if there are too many of them. Too bad deer are beautiful creatures; well all creatures are beautiful, but deer are exceptionally beautiful. It is just the way it is. In the scheme of things, it is better to have an animal die under controlled circumstances. It is sad, though. :frown:

I grew up with a granddad, dad, and bros that hunted, and hub hunts. Both sides have ancestry of hunters. I have yet to eat venison. I just can't. Hub teases me when he sees deer in the yard. He says, DINNER! And, I say, NOT! :lol:

Last edited:

PJay

Ok, contrary to everything I've read or been taught, but there it is!! :yay:

Maybe not. That's what MD gov says. We all know you can read up about different things and each place you read will say something different. If I came upon a fawn, I wouldn't touch it, and wouldn't think I should. Leave nature alone, let it do its thing.

Maybe not. That's what MD gov says. We all know you can read up about different things and each place you read will say something different. If I came upon a fawn, I wouldn't touch it, and wouldn't think I should. Leave nature alone, let it do its thing.

That would still be my recommendation, stay away. Had to have that conversation with my dad this past weekend when a newborn was left in a pile of grass and leaves in his backyard. He was just a few feet away snapping pictures.

PJay

That would still be my recommendation, stay away. Had to have that conversation with my dad this past weekend when a newborn was left in a pile of grass and leaves in his backyard. He was just a few feet away snapping pictures.

Like it says right here:

"The fawn was alone, with no mother protecting it. It is so small and helpless and it doesn’t even move when I approach it. Does it need help?

No, the fawn does not need your help. The doe (adult female deer) will rarely be found near her fawn for the first few weeks of its life because her presence may attract predators. The fawn is well camouflaged and has very little odor, which helps it hide from predators. Fawns instinctively lie motionless when approached by a potential predator. This seemingly helpless state is a behavioral adaptation that has helped white-tailed deer survive for ages. As fawns grow and mature, they will initially freeze, but they jump up and bound away. Once the fawn grows stronger, it will follow the doe while she forages."

Even the mother stays away to keep predators away, so we should stay away too.