July 28: Fatal Traffic Collision: West Mt. Harmony Road

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
On 07/28/2016 at 10:35 am, Troopers from the Maryland State Police Prince Frederick Barrack responded to Route 4 at West Mt. Harmony Road for a reported serious motor vehicle collision. Preliminary investigation revealed a 1992 Plymouth passenger vehicle was traveling on West Mt. Harmony Road, towards Rt. 4, when the vehicle failed to yield the right of way to a 2014 Ford pick-up truck that was traveling northbound on Rt.4 at West Mt. Harmony Road. As a result of the collision, the driver of the Plymouth vehicle was trapped in her vehicle and succumbed to her injuries at the scene. The driver of the pick-up truck and a passenger in the pick-up were uninjured.

Troopers from the Maryland State Police CRASH Team responded to the scene to reconstruct the accident.

The case is still under investigation and anyone with information is urged to contact Tpr. J. Jones at the Maryland State Police Prince Frederick Barrack (410)535-1400.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Another failure to yield. This truly is the number one killer on Calverts roads.
No it wasn't, isn't. It was speeding that killed. Speeding it was. It's always speeding. That's why they have those speed cameras now, to stop speeding and needless deaths. And for the kids.

I did see the aftermath. The car pulled right out in front of the truck and it was brutal. RIP to the driver.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If I may ...No it wasn't, isn't. It was speeding that killed. Speeding it was. It's always speeding. That's why they have those speed cameras now, to stop speeding and needless deaths. And for the kids.

I did see the aftermath. The car pulled right out in front of the truck and it was brutal. RIP to the driver.

Caught some of it on the scanner; I do not envy the first responders.
What little traveling I did today, I was angry at how many people I saw with the left hand on the wheel, eyes looking down to the phone the right hand was holding or people with one hand on the wheel, phone to ear , gabbing away and oblivious to the traffic around them. Not saying this is what caused the crash...but I feel every time I get in my car, I cannot be careful enough because so many people are NOT!

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...No it wasn't, isn't. It was speeding that killed. Speeding it was. It's always speeding. That's why they have those speed cameras now, to stop speeding and needless deaths. And for the kids.

Are you serious or just missed the sarcasm smiley?

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think I've seen enough to say that maybe it's time we make the driver of the vehicle who impacts the other vehicle responsible, criminally responsible if there are injuries or death.
Like any motor vehicle related citation, they should be held liable until their is evidence that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that their actions or lack there of did not contribute to the collision.

Assume they were speeding and or distracted. It was their duty to make every attempt to avoid colliding with the vehicle entering the road way as we know the law states that it is the duty of the vehicle in the travel portion of the roadway to yield to vehicles entering and exiting the road.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think I've seen enough to say that maybe it's time we make the driver of the vehicle who impacts the other vehicle responsible, criminally responsible if there are injuries or death.
Like any motor vehicle related citation, they should be held liable until their is evidence that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that their actions or lack there of did not contribute to the collision.

Assume they were speeding and or distracted. It was their duty to make every attempt to avoid colliding with the vehicle entering the road way as we know the law states that it is the duty of the vehicle in the travel portion of the roadway to yield to vehicles entering and exiting the road.

Are you freaking kidding me? How do you know they didnt take any action. How can you assume they were speeding?

http://www.drivingrules.net/cdl/cdlseca/stopdistance.htm

There are three things that add up to total stopping distance: Perception Distance + Reaction Distance + Braking Distance = Total Stopping Distance

• Perception distance.

This is the distance your vehicle travels from the time your eyes see a hazard until your brain recognizes it. The perception time for an alert driver is about 3/4 second. At 55 mph, you travel 60 feet in 3/4 second.

• Reaction distance.

The distance traveled from the time your brain tells your foot to move from the accelerator until your foot is actually pushing the brake pedal. The average driver has a reaction time of 3/4 second. This accounts for an additional 60 feet traveled at 55 mph.

• Braking distance.

The distance it takes to stop once the brakes are put on. At 55 mph on dry pavement with good brakes it can take a heavy vehicle about 170 feet to stop. It takes about 4 1/2 seconds.

• Total stopping distance.

At 55 mph it will take about 6 seconds to stop and your vehicle will travel about the distance of a football field. (60 + 60 + 170 = 290 feet).

So, you pull out on me when I'm 150 feet away, how the hell can I be held responsible for that? Law says you dont enter the roadway unless its clear to do so.

Grumpy

Huh?? So we can get rid of stop signs??

BernieP

Resident PIA
Are you freaking kidding me? How do you know they didnt take any action. How can you assume they were speeding?

http://www.drivingrules.net/cdl/cdlseca/stopdistance.htm

So, you pull out on me when I'm 150 feet away, how the hell can I be held responsible for that? Law says you dont enter the roadway unless its clear to do so.

Huh?? So we can get rid of stop signs??

After reconstruction of a MVA with fatality, and witness testimony, charges are placed.

You taught you that a travel lane car has to yield to cars entering? This is RT 4, an incredibly dangerous place. My condolences to the family.

LMFAO, you can't tell sarcasm when you read it?

If one were going to be serious and theorize who was "at fault" it would most likely be the party who was on the side street.
I was mocking some of the people who have "Southern Maryland" friendly driving attitudes - the old, common sense does not apply when they drive, just the rules as the interpret them.
The "I see you coming but you can brake for me"
The "If the sign doesn't say stop, I don't have to, I can just keep coming and "squeeze" my way into traffic"(no matter how far down the right hand land turn I go and who I cut off)
The "you saw me, why didn't you stop?"

glhs837

Power with Control
LMFAO, you can't tell sarcasm when you read it?

If one were going to be serious and theorize who was "at fault" it would most likely be the party who was on the side street.
I was mocking some of the people who have "Southern Maryland" friendly driving attitudes - the old, common sense does not apply when they drive, just the rules as the interpret them.
The "I see you coming but you can brake for me"
The "If the sign doesn't say stop, I don't have to, I can just keep coming and "squeeze" my way into traffic"(no matter how far down the right hand land turn I go and who I cut off)
The "you saw me, why didn't you stop?"

Nope, missed it clean..... :)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Nope, missed it clean..... :)

Witnessed some outstanding driving today, rules of the road I don't think you know because, well you practice common sense, not rationalization.

N bound gets left turn arrow, people coming south bound continue to roll right into the lane, forcing the traffic with the signal to stop. BECAUSE, there is no stop sign and they can make a right turn on red (and there is a little island there).

BUT, people trying to make a left block the intersection because traffic in front of Giant is backed up -probably because people in front of Giant can't make a left because traffic is backed up half way to Target.
So pant load blocks intersection, not allowing vehicles to exit the Giant side - BECAUSE he has the right of way (even though he'll have to sit there until traffic moves).