Vehicle Window Tinting?

Clem72

Don't often see the service advertised. Used to do it myself (and was pretty good, never got bubbles), but it's a pain in the butt to do it right. Have a bigger vehicle with lots of windows and am considering having it done.

So who does it in SOMD and what should I expect to pay?

MR47930

What county are you in? I went to Platinum Sounds in Prince Frederick a few years ago and never had any issues with mine. Think I paid $130ish for the front windows and a 6 inch strip on the windshield. Lifetime warranty included with it.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Tint Worx, Mechanicsville does it for $100 for cars. Co-workers have used him every time they got a new car. No complaints that I know of. Taking my daughters car there as well. 301-373-9303

Clem72

I'm south of the Park so those are both a good ways out, but I appreciate the info and will look into them if nothing closer is suggested.

Bonehead

You do know that 35% is the max legally in MD. I once had to remove all tint from a repair order.

MR47930

You do know that 35% is the max legally in MD. I once had to remove all tint from a repair order.

I have 20% on mine, never had any issues. Not saying that I won't in the future but its been 3 years and I've been pulled over 3x with no mention of tint.

Clem72

I remember having to remove front driver/passenger window tint when getting an inspection a number of years ago. Just looked up the rules, and that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

oh, and that 35% is how much light must be able to pass through, not how "dark" you can go.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Call Trick Trucks at 862-1139. If they don't still do tint in their own shop (I think they stopped), Carl will know who does do it.

Chris0nllyn

What county are you in? I went to Platinum Sounds in Prince Frederick a few years ago and never had any issues with mine. Think I paid $130ish for the front windows and a 6 inch strip on the windshield. Lifetime warranty included with it.

I second Platinum Sounds. I've had 3 cars done by them. No problems.

And that 35% includes the stock tinting of the glass. So, to be legally compliant, you'll need 50% tint. Not 35%.

I have 20% on mine, never had any issues. Not saying that I won't in the future but its been 3 years and I've been pulled over 3x with no mention of tint.

My wife had 20% and got pulled over solely for her tint.

MR47930

My wife had 20% and got pulled over solely for her tint.

Guess I've been lucky...
I have an SUV and I believe (might want to check) the only windows that the laws pertain to are the front driver/passenger windows, and of course the windshield. The only reason I got 20% is that's what matched the manufacturer tint on all of the other windows. It would have looked silly with different shades of tint on different windows.

Inkd

Tint Worx, Mechanicsville does it for $100 for cars. Co-workers have used him every time they got a new car. No complaints that I know of. Taking my daughters car there as well. 301-373-9303

They did my Charger. They did a great job.

RPMDAD

Sonster bought a used car from Va. from a dealer, failed Md. inspection, i think it cost 100 - 120 to have tint removed.

Smith

Another vote for Platinum Sounds in Prince Frederick. They have done 3 of my vehicles, soon to be 4.
Price is based on the number of windows you want tinted, and the quality level of the film you choose to have them apply.

Window tint darkness in Maryland
The percent of visible light allowed through your car windows is called VLT: Visible Light Transmission. The percentage of light allowed through your film and glass in Maryland is very specific and different for cars and for SUVs, trucks, or vans.

Tint darkness for cars:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Tint darkness for SUV, trucks, and vans:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.​

Tint Worx! However he is on vacation until the 15th. He only does 7 vehicles per day ...

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Guess I've been lucky...
I have an SUV and I believe (might want to check) the only windows that the laws pertain to are the front driver/passenger windows, and of course the windshield. The only reason I got 20% is that's what matched the manufacturer tint on all of the other windows. It would have looked silly with different shades of tint on different windows.

I was told back windows in an SUV can be darker than 35%. Car windows cannot. Bought my daughters car from VA and it already had tinted windows. Had to pay to have the tint removed from the back windows and the rear one because it was too dark.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I've had several cars done at Tint Worx, never a problem and good work. No appointments and he is BUSY. If think you want to go on a Saturday- people line up 2-3hrs prior to opening just to get in. He did 9 windows on my little Fiesta commuter car for $130. Oh, he's cash only...

sparkyaclown

I've had several cars done at Tint Worx, never a problem and good work. No appointments and he is BUSY. If think you want to go on a Saturday- people line up 2-3hrs prior to opening just to get in. He did 9 windows on my little Fiesta commuter car for $130. Oh, he's cash only...

Only problem with them is that ,at least when I called to ask, they use the dyed film tint which can be bad for dual-layer thermo impact glass some manufacturers use on the side windows. It can cause the glass layers to delaminate and/or crack since it traps the heat and doesn't actually reflect it. Has anyone ever used Street Trenz? When I called them they had a few different options.