La Plata to undergo major redevelopment

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
The 15.5-acre area will get a new civic plaza, residential, and retail

Some of the recommendations included relocating the library, expanding the government center, and creating a town square or civic plaza to anchor retail and residential development. The report also recommended creating for-sale housing for employees who work in or near the study area. Rather than apartments, the report recommended building attached townhomes.

A story: http://dc.curbed.com/2016/8/30/12709634/maryland-la-plata-uli

The report the story is based on: http://washington.uli.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/56/2016/08/Report_LaPlata_FINAL.pdf

BernieP

Resident PIA
If they want to create a vibrant La Plata town center then they will focus on the civic plaza, residential, and retail (parking, don't forget parking)

If they go with government buildings and leave all the retail on 301, then La Plata is nothing but an extension of Waldorf.

officeguy

I am afraid it is going to end up like all the forced redevelopment in the tornado corridor. Disjointed, few street level businesses and no pedestrian business traffic to speak of.

I am sure La Plata needs more Townhouses. It'll be just grand 20 years after they are built !

Last edited:

Kinnakeet

I am afraid it is going to end up like all the forced redevelopment in the tornado corridor. Disjointed, few street level businesses and no pedestrian business traffic to speak of.

I am sure La Plata needs more Townhouses. It'll be just grand 20 years after they are built !

EXACTLY,more town homes means more ghettos in the future.

nutz

It's just a disjointed report. The business leaders are trying to get community support/government funding to redevelop some of the commercial space in LaPlata. The Coca-Cola building, the vacant bank, SMO's yard is the area that they are reporting on. The library and town hall aren't even close to or really included except as nice add-on's for the report. Particularly love this part of the report, "In order to reduce the high traffic volume, the report also recommended creating a series of streets that could disperse traffic."

officeguy

Particularly love this part of the report, "In order to reduce the high traffic volume, the report also recommended creating a series of streets that could disperse traffic."

If you look at plans from about 20-30 years back, Hawthorne was supposed to be extended and meet with 488. Heritage Green 'parkway' was supposed to loop around and join Rt 6. Also Quailwood was supposed to continue on one end in a loop to join 310 at Rosewick and on the other end to Steeplechase. La Plata would have had its own Beltway !

vince77

Wish them luck but St. Charles housing has crept down toward LaPlata (St. Charles Parkway) beyond the White Plains golf course to where there is little space between the two. People in the southern part of Waldorf are/will be shopping in LaPlata.

Well intentioned I'm sure but LaPlata most likely will be swallowed up into the retail pattern of the rest of Southern Maryland ...fast food and dollar stores .... not exactly the business environment for upscale shopping in the future.

nutz

Wish them luck but St. Charles housing has crept down toward LaPlata (St. Charles Parkway) beyond the White Plains golf course to where there is little space between the two. People in the southern part of Waldorf are/will be shopping in LaPlata.

Well intentioned I'm sure but LaPlata most likely will be swallowed up into the retail pattern of the rest of Southern Maryland ...fast food and dollar stores .... not exactly the business environment for upscale shopping in the future.

St. Charles is still developing within the limits of its original master plan circa 1970ish, basically western edge Middletown/Billingsley and Middletown/Acton lane, northern edge rt. 5, eastern edge 488, southern edge radio station rd. They have also acquired some property on the opposite side of 488. When it looks almost exactly like Columbia, they should be done.