Cameras matter, people

tommyjo

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/407819/police-need-help-identifying-suspects-in-california-break-in/

Damn, need better cameras, and they dont cost much. Also, why the hell would you leave a jar with money in it on the damn counter. Also, though, that one guy was sure the register had cash, so I'm hopeful they will be caught pretty soon. So they can get a 1 year suspended sentence, of course, but wth.

OMG! Thanks for the morning laugh!!

The poster is so against red light and speed cameras that catch folks doing things illegally is completely for this type of camera that catches people doing things illegally?

He's so in favor of them that he derides the owner not buying a more expensive camera!! HA! HA! HA! HILARIOUS!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
See, the fact that you cant parse this out doesn't speak well for your intelligence.

1. I'm for catching criminals.

2. I'm against enforcement for profit.

3. I have said right along that if automated speed enforcement were made revenue neutral to remove the corruption, and made transparent so folks had a chance to defend themselves against errors by the machines I would support it.

4. I have said, and there is data to support my position, that red light cameras usually do no better than other engineering solutions to enhance intersection safety and so should not be deployed.

In simpler terms. Cameras to catch bad guys, good. Cameras to enhance revenue and ensure profit for private companies bad.

Got it? If that's to hard to understand, please step away from the keyboard.

nutz

OMG! Thanks for the morning laugh!!

The poster is so against red light and speed cameras that catch folks doing things illegally is completely for this type of camera that catches people doing things illegally?

He's so in favor of them that he derides the owner not buying a more expensive camera!! HA! HA! HA! HILARIOUS!!!
Why won't the media report the facts. Why was the BLACk male part omitted from the story? So it wouldn't be offensive or stereotyping? #### that, call a spade a spade and be done with it. You and your lying hero Hillary need to get his kind of #### corrected rather than always giving the brother a pass.

Chris0nllyn

I wouldn't blame it on the camera. I blame it more on lighting. With the outside being so lit up, but lights off on the inside, the IRs never kicked on for night vision and the ratio of light to dark causes the dark area to be really dark, thus not picking up faces when really needed.

glhs837

Power with Control
I wouldn't blame it on the camera. I blame it more on lighting. With the outside being so lit up, but lights off on the inside, the IRs never kicked on for night vision and the ratio of light to dark causes the dark area to be really dark, thus not picking up faces when really needed.

My answer to that would be to choose cameras suited to the conditions. But I don't see that the resolution is there no matter what the lighting.

Blister

Or possibly don't leave tip jars and cash drawers full of cash overnight. Long, long ago I worked in stores and tended bar, never saw cash left out after closing.

Restitution

Desperation at its finest!

The guy who broke in for the Tip jar wins the internetz for today! I'm guessing the haul from that was $23.82 and some empty fortune cookie wrappers!

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, wonder if they had an agreement to sharesies or if it was you keep yours, I keep mine.....

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't know who was having this conversation about the "quality" of surveillance video in dramatic television shows verse what the real life "evidence" looked like.
Most of the surveillance camera images you can barely make out the vehicle and you can forget about the plate.

PeoplesElbow

Some of it is video compression used to record longer, you can see the artifacts from it in the video. Cheap security DVRs will put images from several cameras onto a single video frame.

glhs837

Power with Control
Pay me now or pay me later...... Pay for better cameras up front, or pay with more theft. People are not scared of cameras that make everyone faceless blobs.

While I agree that better quality video is always better, remember that you guys all jumped on my home system for not having good quality video, yet that video was directly responsible for the perps getting busted after it was posted to social media.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
a roller coaster camera gives you 1080p resolution at 50 mph for $25.99 but an store camera with the subject at creep speed looks like a Rorschach blob.