Summer vacation - this is a real question:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Socki sez:

It seems as if the kids forget half of what they learned the previous school year and it takes them the first month just to gain the knowledge back.

What do kids forget over summer vaca? If I forgot anything when I was a kid, it wasn't anything I really needed to know. I could still write, I could still read, I could still do math, I could still color in the lines.

What's to forget?

That's a real question because I hear parents and other adults say this over and over, that kids forget everything they learned over extended summer vacation. So what did your kids forget over the summer?

Socki sez:

What do kids forget over summer vaca? If I forgot anything when I was a kid, it wasn't anything I really needed to know. I could still write, I could still read, I could still do math, I could still color in the lines.

What's to forget?

That's a real question because I hear parents and other adults say this over and over, that kids forget everything they learned over extended summer vacation. So what did your kids forget over the summer?
Things like Geometry, because you need that to progress to Physics (angular momentum, etc...). If you're not a whiz in math, it's easy to forget some of that stuff and makes the next course just that much harder.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Socki sez:

What's to forget?

I don't think they forget anything but fall out of the "school routine".

lovinmaryland

I don't think they forget anything but fall out of the "school routine".

^this^

My kids never forgot the actual school work...just fell out of the routine. Usually a week before school starts I start getting them accustomed to the routine again (going to bed at 8:30 waking up at 6:45 etc...)

awpitt

Main Streeter
Socki sez:

What's to forget?

It's not that they forget "everything", that's an exaggeration. But, it is common knowledge that the first week or two of the school year is spend doing some review and getting back into the school groove. It's a little more than coloring in the lines.

luvmygdaughters

It's not that they forget "everything", that's an exaggeration. But, it is common knowledge that the first week or two of the school year is spend doing some review and getting back into the school groove. It's a little more than coloring in the lines.

True, but, I think most of the time when kids are any type of a break, like spring break for instance, the teachers have to review what they were working on before the break.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What do kids forget over summer vaca?

I've heard that for years .... I am not sure what they forget, maybe teachers just suck anymore, [yeah I know an unfair generalization]
... this is why some places have 12 month schooling

PeoplesElbow

Things like Geometry, because you need that to progress to Physics (angular momentum, etc...). If you're not a whiz in math, it's easy to forget some of that stuff and makes the next course just that much harder.

The stuff from geometry isn't used for much of anything.

Hannibal

Last time I checked carpenters or masons did not do proofs. Having several engineering degrees and a minor in physics I never used it, so not sure what the use of it is.

Civil Engineer here. I use it quite a bit. Granted, I don't believe anyone actually does a "proof" once they pass that particular test in high school but the application is the same.

I can see where certain engineering segments do not. Mechanical, electrical, geotechnical ..... custodial.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Civil Engineer here. I use it quite a bit. Granted, I don't believe anyone actually does a "proof" once they pass that particular test in high school but the application is the same.

I can see where certain engineering segments do not. Mechanical, electrical, geotechnical ..... custodial.

Maybe my geometry was different, my 9th grade geometry nothing but proofs, algebra 2 in 10th grade (you know to forget it all that geometry) then trig in 11th. Pretty much everything useful falls out from the law of sines and cosines and the simplifications where you have a right triangle. After 9 college math classes I had never again seen one of those proofs from that class again.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I use Algebra computing Engine RPM for a given tire size with a certain gear ratio ... you input :

(Axle Ratio x Vehicle Speed x Transmission Ratio x 336.13) / Tire Diameter

same thing with cubic inch computation Bore x Stroke x .7854 x Number of Cylinders

now there are handy web sites, but 15 yrs ago I put the formula into an Excel Spreadsheet and made a table

http://www.crawlpedia.com/rpm_gear_calculator.htm
http://www.crawlpedia.com/calculators.htm