Veterans Day CCPS

Robert42

Maybe I'm being a little out of line...IDK. But does anybody else think it's wrong that Charles County Schools consistently ( last few years) doesn't get Veterans Day off. Not closed for kids or a teacher workday or anything. Just another day.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Maybe I'm being a little out of line...IDK. But does anybody else think it's wrong that Charles County Schools consistently ( last few years) doesn't get Veterans Day off. Not closed for kids or a teacher workday or anything. Just another day.

Maybe there aren't that many teachers and students who've served. :shrug:

Robert42

You may be right...Is there quantititatively more service members in literally every other Maryland county,....all of whom acknowledge the day in some way?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just having a little fun.

My feelings are that Veteran's Day is more important than Washinton's, Lincoln's, or King's birthday, and schools should close. If your child should happen to be sick in the morning, but recover enough to attend a parade in the afternoon, who am I to judge?
:shrug:

Edit: To answer your first question, it's because MD sucks.

softtouch

At the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, the guns fell silent on the western front.
If Armistice Day had been a no school day when I was in grammar school, I may have never learned that.
I am a veteran and have no problem with kids going to school on Veterans Day. However I think they should be taught something about the history of the day.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Just having a little fun.

My feelings are that Veteran's Day is more important than Washinton's, Lincoln's, or King's birthday, and schools should close. If your child should happen to be sick in the morning, but recover enough to attend a parade in the afternoon, who am I to judge?
:shrug:

Edit: To answer your first question, it's because MD sucks.

It's not a MD decision. Each county's BoE sets their own school calendar. If the folks in Charles County have a problem with it, they can take it up with their BoE. Kids in St. Mary's have Veteran's Day off.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The St. Mary's Catholic schools have school on Veteran's Day. That being said, they also put on a Veteran's Day program to celebrate them. At least Saint John's does.

acommondisaster

We always had a moment of silence on Veteran's Day, but it was always a school day when I was a kid. Personally, I'm happy if they keep it a school day, rather than turning a day of honoring veterans into another shopping day. It always grates me the wrong way when people say "Happy Memorial Day!". I'd prefer Veteran's Day be a day of "thank you for your service".

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Veteran's Day used to be a school day in SMC but if you were going to participate in the parade in L'Town, it was an excused absence.

awpitt

Main Streeter
We always had a moment of silence on Veteran's Day, but it was always a school day when I was a kid. Personally, I'm happy if they keep it a school day, rather than turning a day of honoring veterans into another shopping day. It always grates me the wrong way when people say "Happy Memorial Day!". I'd prefer Veteran's Day be a day of "thank you for your service".

I know what you mean. It also irks me when people mix up the reasons behind Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. Veteran's Day is for those of us who have served. Memorial Day is for those who died while serving. I find so many people don't realize that. I mean, I've had people thanking me for me service on Memorial Day and I ask them to hold that thought until 11/11 because I didn't have to make the ultimate sacrifice.

I remember going to school on Veteran's Day. This was in Washington County, MD late 70's early 80's. We always had a Veteran's Day assembly. Folks from the local American Legion and VFW would take part.