Has anyone had luck with antennas as a alternative for cable in this area?

zar

Theist
I live in Leonardtown and i haven't had any luck with fancy long range antennas. When i was a kid i remember rabbit ears would work pretty well. I'd be willing to try a high dollar antenna that goes on the roof but I'd be disappointed if it didn't work (house is surrounded by large trees for the most part)

If anyone has had any luck please share your experience/antenna you have used.

There's a couple of threads on this subject in the Computer forum.

I have good luck in Town Creek with a small outdoor antenna, but going to upgrade to a long range.

Tips: Use RG-6 cable to minimize loss.
Minimize the number of splices or connectors, you lose 3dB per connector.
Use quality crimp connectors if making your own connections. Don't use the cheap screw-on connectors.
A quality antenna in-line amp is really needed.
Remember that you're using UHF primarily, with channels 2-13 still VHF. The better the line-of-sight, the better your signal will be. I lose signal when the wind blows the trees.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA

I have good luck in Town Creek with a small outdoor antenna, but going to upgrade to a long range.

Use quality crimp connectors if making your own connections. Don't use the cheap screw-on connectors.
Remember that you're using UHF primarily, with channels 2-13 still VHF. The better the line-of-sight, the better your signal will be. I lose signal when the wind blows the trees.

Have you had any interference from the power lines, particularly in damp weather?
I'd say the two biggest impediments are line of sight and interference from nearby emitters.
SMECO transformers and broadcasts from other sources can be a problem if in close proximity (Leonardtown area).
As I recall a tech from Western Shore Cable told us the noise in our signal on the local stations was inserted at the source, the receivers in Leonardtown were next to the SMECO substation.

Have you had any interference from the power lines, particularly in damp weather?
I'd say the two biggest impediments are line of sight and interference from nearby emitters.
SMECO transformers and broadcasts from other sources can be a problem if in close proximity (Leonardtown area).
As I recall a tech from Western Shore Cable told us the noise in our signal on the local stations was inserted at the source, the receivers in Leonardtown were next to the SMECO substation.
No problem from local sources, but helicopters and planes flying from the base can wipe out a signal.

Oh, yeah.... one more thing. You need a directional rotor.