Dying trees

SamSpade

We've lost a lot of trees over the years, and a few due to storms and the like.

But we've lost about half a dozen due to what appears to be a fungus growing on the trees.

Until today I didn't pay much mind, because I figured, that's the way of things.

But I noticed not only are several neighbors losing trees, it's usually the same kind of tree - as if, a fungus is attacking a few certain kinds of tree and is spreading.

Has anyone noticed this? Once it sets in, we've not been able to stop it. On one of our trees, we just cut off infected limbs, but we have a few that - it just went too far to stop.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What species of tree(s)? We've got something attacking our red oaks and can't figure out what it is. Whole branches just stripped of leaves but with no sign of any insects.

SamSpade

What species of tree(s)? We've got something attacking our red oaks and can't figure out what it is. Whole branches just stripped of leaves but with no sign of any insects.

Dogwoods, mostly. Noticed this morning on a neighbor's yard in addition to ours.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Anthracnose, probably. I gave up trying to grow dogwoods here on the island because none would survive more than a few years before succumbing.

And I really like dogwoods.

I would have thought dogwoods wouldn't do well there anyway for the salty environment.

Everytime we have a prolonged drought, I lose pine trees. Lost quite a few over the years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I would have thought dogwoods wouldn't do well there anyway for the salty environment.

Everytime we have a prolonged drought, I lose pine trees. Lost quite a few over the years.

Could be part of it too. We lost several of our big pines to pine borer over a 2-3 year period..but aggressively treated after we realized what was going on and have not lost another one in the last 5 or so. Very costly to have trees that measure more than 2' at the base taken down when they can't simply be dropped. ;(.