Crime Theft from UNLOCKED Motor Vehicles on the rise

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Maybe if insurance companies stop paying for loss from theft when they can establish that the vehicle was left unlocked people will start to exhibit some personal responsibility.

The police have been warning the public about this for at least a year, probably longer.

----

The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office has identified a trend of increased theft from unlocked motor vehicles. In these crimes, suspects prey on citizens who fail to secure their vehicles, stealing what they can from their victims. Valuables left in plain view leaves citizens vulnerable to becoming targets of crime. Fortunately, these crimes are usually crimes of opportunity and thus are largely preventable.

St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron states that these criminals are looking for purses, cash, change, laptops, electronic tablets, and GPS units.

Sheriff Cameron urges residents to practice these important prevention techniques:

-- Lock vehicles every time you exit them

-- Remove all valuable items

-- Park in well-lit areas

-- Do not leave a motor vehicle running and unattended

In addition to securing their vehicles, it is important that residents remain aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious activity, such as unfamiliar persons and/or vehicles in the area, by calling the Sheriff's Office non-emergency line at 301-475-8008. For immediate assistance, call 9-1-1.

Being proactive and reporting suspicious incidents is the key to preventing crime throughout our neighborhoods.

Don't get me wrong, the thieves should get every bit of punishment allowed, but you have to be a special kind of moron to leave valuables in plain sight in an unlocked car.

Goldenhawk

Maybe if insurance companies stop paying for loss from theft when they can establish that the vehicle was left unlocked people will start to exhibit some personal responsibility.
Huh... *my* insurance was basically worthless when we had an iPod stolen from our car. The loss was far below my deductible, so we took it out of pocket. I learned a tough but valuable lesson that day: insurance is fine for big problems, but not for minor events.

Another lesson: my brother had a laptop taken from a locked car in a parking garage, thru a broken window. Like the sheriff said, just don't leave valuables in your car, and especially not in view. Locks and windows are just deterrents to mostly honest people, not defense against a determined thief.

PeoplesElbow

Huh... *my* insurance was basically worthless when we had an iPod stolen from our car. The loss was far below my deductible, so we took it out of pocket. I learned a tough but valuable lesson that day: insurance is fine for big problems, but not for minor events.

Another lesson: my brother had a laptop taken from a locked car in a parking garage, thru a broken window. Like the sheriff said, just don't leave valuables in your car, and especially not in view. Locks and windows are just deterrents to mostly honest people, not defense against a determined thief.

I never understood the people that just had to have low deductibles, generally you save more per year with a higher deductible than the difference between deductibles. Just like health insurance its people claiming every little thing that drives cost of policies up.

awpitt

Main Streeter

This would be a good thing.

It's sad when the Sheriff has to put out a PSA to tell people to do something they should already be doing in the first place.

Clem72

I never understood the people that just had to have low deductibles, generally you save more per year with a higher deductible than the difference between deductibles. Just like health insurance its people claiming every little thing that drives cost of policies up.

Once upon a time you used to be able to provide proof that you had enough money to pay for damages (maybe 10 or 20k) and you could self-insure. You probably still can, but with state minimum insurance being so high now (what is it, 60k? 120k?) only the very rich could afford to self insure.

RPMDAD

It's not just here, saw this post from the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, i have no idea why people leave their cars unlocked with valuables in them.

"We need your help. I know we sound like a broken record but these numbers are unacceptable. Remove valuables from your vehicle and lock your vehicle doors. The bad guys troll neighborhoods all over the city pulling on vehicle handles. They like to call it "sliding" and "car hopping". We call it "BURGLARY".

Be a good neighbor and call in suspicious activity to police."
jacksonville SO..jpg

Once upon a time you used to be able to provide proof that you had enough money to pay for damages (maybe 10 or 20k) and you could self-insure. You probably still can, but with state minimum insurance being so high now (what is it, 60k? 120k?) only the very rich could afford to self insure.
That's probably no longer a realistic option for most. If you insure to protect yourself, rather than minimum to get on the road, liabilities range in the hundreds of thousands, if not more. Like you said, not too many people can front that much money.

bilbur

The police have been warning the public about this for at least a year, probably longer.

It is very sad that this is the attitude most people have in the county now. My grandmother lived here all her life and never locked her house/car. My parents didn't either until a house in their neighborhood got broken into. I lock my car every ware now but for most of my driving life I didn't. I blame the increase in car break-ins on the increase in junkies and pill heads. I really wish there was a way to modify a taser so when one of these junkies tries to break in they get zapped. The sad thing is if this happened the POS junkie/thief would sue and probably win. My cousin got her car broken into in her own driveway and she lives in the back of an affluent neighborhood. Now she doesn't feel her stuff is safe on her own property anymore. She is also going to spend lots of money for cameras and security equipment. It really doesn't sound fair, tell me again why we should pity junkies and crooks?

luvmygdaughters

It is very sad that this is the attitude most people have in the county now. My grandmother lived here all her life and never locked her house/car. My parents didn't either until a house in their neighborhood got broken into. I lock my car every ware now but for most of my driving life I didn't. I blame the increase in car break-ins on the increase in junkies and pill heads. I really wish there was a way to modify a taser so when one of these junkies tries to break in they get zapped. The sad thing is if this happened the POS junkie/thief would sue and probably win. My cousin got her car broken into in her own driveway and she lives in the back of an affluent neighborhood. Now she doesn't feel her stuff is safe on her own property anymore. She is also going to spend lots of money for cameras and security equipment. It really doesn't sound fair, tell me again why we should pity junkies and crooks?

:yeahthat:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I am reminded of the little girl - probably 10 years ago or so - who was abducted and killed while walking home from school. There was a good bit of criticism, wondering why her mother let her walk alone (she was 9 or 10), etc. Pretty much saying it was her own fault and she shouldn't have been walking.

:ohwell:

Edit: Carlie Bruscia was her name. The organic database just coughed the name up.

It really doesn't sound fair, tell me again why we should pity junkies and crooks?

Pretty sure you have stated the real problem: I doubt there would be nearly as many minor thefts if drugs were not so prevalent. I've been involved with a court case on theft at my house, and a few others in the area by the same guy. Talked at length with the Prosecutor's office, and most of the burglary cases he is dealing with are nothing more than someone looking for easily sold or pawned small items for drug money. Look at the news reports in the local papers, the number of drug arrests are staggering. All of them will, at some point, be looking for fast cash for more drugs. The police are doing what they can, but logic says if you curb the drug problem, you would probably curb a lot of crime too.

bilbur

Pretty sure you have stated the real problem: I doubt there would be nearly as many minor thefts if drugs were not so prevalent. I've been involved with a court case on theft at my house, and a few others in the area by the same guy. Talked at length with the Prosecutor's office, and most of the burglary cases he is dealing with are nothing more than someone looking for easily sold or pawned small items for drug money. Look at the news reports in the local papers, the number of drug arrests are staggering. All of them will, at some point, be looking for fast cash for more drugs. The police are doing what they can, but logic says if you curb the drug problem, you would probably curb a lot of crime too.

The drug problem has been steadily and majorly on the decline in the Philippines. What was it that they are doing to curb their drug epidemic again? Of course I am kidding and I don't think killing all the users and dealers is a good solution but sometimes I wonder how much better the county/country would be if people would stop using hard drugs. Then I read the local news and I am quickly transported back to reality.

bilbur

I am reminded of the little girl - probably 10 years ago or so - who was abducted and killed while walking home from school. There was a good bit of criticism, wondering why her mother let her walk alone (she was 9 or 10), etc. Pretty much saying it was her own fault and she shouldn't have been walking.

:ohwell:

Edit: Carlie Bruscia was her name. The organic database just coughed the name up.

I was allowed to walk to the end of my street to catch the bus at that age but never beyond the bus stop. When my parents were young my dad would walk miles at the age of 10 to go to the local store for a Coke. I guess every generation is having to take more precautions because of the increase of scum bags. Maybe it is because we are more connected and hear about more crimes that is making people more paranoid. I guess eventually parents will have to shadow their kids up to the age of 16 every ware they go for fear of something happening to them.

lovinmaryland

Car insurance doesn't cover theft of your personal property from your car...your homeowners or renters covers that...typically the deductibles on those policies are $1000 and up so unless they stole thousands of dollars worth of personal property from the cars insurance wouldn't cover it.