Wyoming

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We've been here in Wyoming almost 2 weeks. From what I've seen it looks like a great place to live. Lots & lots of wide open spaces. The capital, Cheyenne, has around 65,000 residents which makes it the largest city by population.

Cody is a city of less than 10K people. Tourism is a major part of the local economy. The down town area is well kept. They have a good mix of restaurants, shops, stores & parks. They don't have the type of tourist places that you see in say Pigeon Forge or Ocean City. There's no Wax Museum or bumper cars, instead they have a lot of western lifestyle museums. They honor their homesteader roots and give big props to William 'Buffalo Bill' Cody, who founded the town way back in 1895.

There is a regional airport right on the edge of town. It's easy to drive around the area at any time of the day. They have a Walmart, not sure if that is a plus, and also a Tractor Supply. The town seems to have everything you need to live comfortably. There is a movie theater & a rodeo. 1 of the places is a seasonal dinner show with western style music.

I did some research and find that the state has around 4%. 60% of the population are gun owners. 91% of the state is described as rural. There is no sales tax and a state sales tax of 4%. The state votes heavily Republican at both the state & federal level. It was the first state to grant full voting rights to women.

Crime is non existent. It's murder rate per capita is lower than many European nations. There were 16 murders in 2014, that is a low weekend rate in Chicago. The state is rich in minerals and energy. Wyoming is blessed with National Parks and monuments that are visited by millions of visitors per year and those visitors spend lots of money here.

If you like the outdoors and enjoy wide open spaces, then this is your kinda place.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If you can, stop in to Fort Laramie and take some pictures. I passed through there in 1990 and have no idea where my pic's are. My Great Great Aunt Norrine was born there in 1897. She was a great lady and gave me a ton of our family history. I also have relatives in the Gillette and Caspar areas.