Inside car smells of fumes

catlingirl

I have a Kia 2010 Sportage and lately the inside of the car has been smelling like a diesel truck that you would get behind on the road. The windows are rolled up, air conditioning sometimes on, sometimes not. This smell happens every time I drive. I just took it to be inspected and it passed the inspection. Anyone else have this problem before? Thanks for any help.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have a Kia 2010 Sportage and lately the inside of the car has been smelling like a diesel truck that you would get behind on the road. The windows are rolled up, air conditioning sometimes on, sometimes not. This smell happens every time I drive. I just took it to be inspected and it passed the inspection. Anyone else have this problem before? Thanks for any help.
It may not be diesel you're smelling; perhaps a clogged/malfunctioning catalytic converter. That can cause a diesel-like smell. You may want to take it back to the inspection station; or maybe a different one and ask them to check the cc. It will probably cost you $$ though.

Another possible issue.....you may need to replace the cabin air filter after addressing the catalytic converter.

This might help.....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=2010+Kia+Sportage+cabin+air+filter+location&FORM=HDRSC2

:fixed:

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dealing with something like that with our old Nissan Murano....an oil leak is dripping on hot exhaust system. Just enough to make the interior smell bad...not enough to actually drip on the ground so we can find the danged leak.

calvcopf

Happened to me. The problem was that the internal parts of the catalytic converter were coming apart. It finally clogged the cc so much that the car wouldn't go more than 10 miles per hour. Cost me over $1,000 to get the catalytic converter replaced.

glhs837

Power with Control
Diesel smell could mean a lot of things. One common combustion type smell is caused when a slight oil leak drips onto a hot surface. Might not be enough to leave stains, a few drops can make a lot of smell.