Calvert Hospital ER

xobxdoc

A huge thank you to nurse Chad Lankford and Dr. Kathy Parmele. These two were instrumental in saving my life on 12-6-16. I arrived at the ER about 5:30 AM with a nagging indigestion feeling that would not go away. It did not take them long to realize I was having a heart attack. Weather prevented flyout so I was transported to Washington Hospital Center immediately by ambulance.
I was taken directly to the cath lab. The catheter located a 100% block in the LAD artery otherwise known as the widow maker.
The clog was removed and stint installed in about an hour. Amazingly no heart damage. I felt ready to come home right after the procedure but they kept me until Thursday for observation.
The doctors have no idea how this happened with my good health history, non smoker, exercise daily, healthy weight, low cholesterol. It developed quick. The team in DC and here at Calvert saved my life. Thank you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The doctors have no idea how this happened with my good health history, non smoker, exercise daily, healthy weight, low cholesterol.

My great uncle died in his early 40s of a heart attack after playing tennis. He was very athletic, in great shape, no smoking or anything like that. He was feeling a little woozy when he got home, so he laid down to sleep it off and never woke up.

Glad you went in and got that "indigestion" checked.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A huge thank you to nurse Chad Lankford and Dr. Kathy Parmele. These two were instrumental in saving my life on 12-6-16. I arrived at the ER about 5:30 AM with a nagging indigestion feeling that would not go away. It did not take them long to realize I was having a heart attack. Weather prevented flyout so I was transported to Washington Hospital Center immediately by ambulance.
I was taken directly to the cath lab. The catheter located a 100% block in the LAD artery otherwise known as the widow maker.
The clog was removed and stint installed in about an hour. Amazingly no heart damage. I felt ready to come home right after the procedure but they kept me until Thursday for observation.
The doctors have no idea how this happened with my good health history, non smoker, exercise daily, healthy weight, low cholesterol. It developed quick. The team in DC and here at Calvert saved my life. Thank you.

:yay:

xobxdoc

Thanks for the good thoughts. It is still unreal to me. I have been milling about in a daze since I got home Thursday. Now I am paranoid of every little twitch I get. Good to be alive though!

Roman

Glad to know that you are here "X". I was a Paramedic in Calvert County for many, many years and know both Chad and Dr. Parmele personally. Chad was a Paramedic also, and was probably one of the best Calvert County had. He is very dedicated to helping people, and always has been. I am proud of both he, and Dr. Parmele. She's great, and very kind. You'll be afraid of every little pain for quite some time, but you'll be fine. Especially if you follow Doctor's orders. Stay well!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Awesome news.
:yay::yay:
Stay healthy.

Lilypad

Thank you for not waiting to get the ER...time is muscle! Have a very Merry Christmas and a healthy 2017!

littlelady

God bless the USA
Thanks for the good thoughts. It is still unreal to me. I have been milling about in a daze since I got home Thursday. Now I am paranoid of every little twitch I get. Good to be alive though!

So happy for you. I think you feel that it is unreal, in a daze, and paranoid because you just lived through a near death experience. I would think that is totally normal. All of us go about our daily lives and think every thing will be fine. We shouldn't do that. Anything can happen at any moment. You lived through it. We are all going to die at some point, but it is hard to comprehend that. Thanks for posting your experience. I think it helps the rest of us to keep things in perspective, and appreciate every day. That is why I have always said this forum is awesome with its scope of discussion, information, and all. I hope your holiday season is extra special. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, xo!

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Glad everything worked out and you're home safe. God Bless.

luvmygdaughters

Glad you had that checked out. Hubby had the same thing happen to him, thought it was indigestion, turned out, after everything, he had to have a quadruple by-pass done.

Glad it was caught before damage could be done. Now get checked regularly. My father had a stint put in 15 years ago. Then got annual checkups. About 2 years later, 3 arteries 95% blocked, caught on a regular cardio checkup, had no signs of the blockages prior. He had to have 3 stints put in.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Glad you went to get it checked out. Curious to know how long was the "indigestion" nagging? I only ask because I have Barrett's Esophagus and not sure I would know it was anything other than that.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Glad you caught it. I've been to the Calvert ER a few times and they've always been great.

Many of the latest studies show that most heart attacks happen to people with 'normal' cholesterol, which means our cholesterol testing is probably antiquated. I guess this is also a reminder that chest pain is not the only symptom of a heart attack.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Glad you went to get it checked out. Curious to know how long was the "indigestion" nagging? I only ask because I have Barrett's Esophagus and not sure I would know it was anything other than that.

I have Barrett's too, and suffer from frequent spasms that feel like, what I assume is, a heart attack. As much as I'm sure it's spasms, I go to the ER anyway just to be sure. My family has a history of heart disease.

PsyOps

Pixelated
This makes me think that, at age 50 doctors recommend colonoscopies. Why don't they recommend some sort of heart scans to check arteries and general heart health; especially if there is a history of heart disease?