Remember When the CBC wanted to Gut the Ethics Office ?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
http://www.politico.com/story/2010/06/lawmakers-seek-to-gut-ethics-office-038345

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus have led the charge, airing complaints about the aggressive, independent panel in a private session with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi last month, and they’ve drafted a resolution that, if approved, would severely curtail the panel’s power.

But there’s hot competition between the CBC and the official House ethics committee over who has less regard for the Office of Congressional Ethics, also known as the OCE. And the rest of the House doesn’t appear to be far behind in its disdain. Privately, Democratic and Republican lawmakers, and even some congressional leaders, acknowledge that there’s a strong sentiment to change rules that empower the office to publicize investigations and wreak havoc on lawmakers’ political lives.

“We might have to take a fresh look, at some point, at the authority of the OCE,” said North Carolina Democratic Rep. G.K. Butterfield, who is a member of both the CBC and the ethics committee.

Of course, nobody wants to be portrayed as loosening ethics in an election year, and Butterfield was quick to point out that change could come as members “promulgate rules for the 112th Congress” in January 2011.

That won’t stop lawmakers from venting.

The OCE is “out of control,” one House Republican told POLITICO. A Democrat close to Pelosi said the OCE was “way out of bounds” when it sent information to the Justice Department on an investigation into lawmakers’ ties to the defunct PMA lobbying group.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
old story, but very relevant. I guess blacks in congress are being disproportionately investigated and punished by that mean old ethics panel.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No, it's not relevant. This is the GOP equivalent of 'The Russians did it!" They, like the DNC, did something profoundly stupid and now are all about trying to smokescreen the thing and point the finger at whatever target will do. Why not just say "We did something profoundly stupid and will do our best to be less stupid in the future..." and let it die? Why help keep it alive? Why risk now pointing fingers at the CBC and risk also being accused of some racial bias, which ANY fool can now see coming. Any fool, I guess, except for whomever thought it was smart to dig this crap up?

Hijinx

old story, but very relevant. I guess blacks in congress are being disproportionately investigated and punished by that mean old ethics panel.

More likely that are more disproportionately guilty of ethics violations.

No one likes the people that makes them obey the rules.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
More likely that are more disproportionately guilty of ethics violations.

No one likes the people that makes them obey the rules.

More likely based on what? You are aware, I assume, that the GOP is now leading the charge to weaken the ethics panel, yes? Does that mean they, by your reasoning, are more likely to be disproportionately guilty of ethics violation? Or do you not see where you just stepped in it?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
No, it's not relevant.

yeah it is ....
the Left / Progressives / State Run Media, is taking pot shots at the GOP Congress Critters for wanting to gut the Ethics Office, when their own have taken several shots at the Ethics Office in the past

Larry Gude

Strung Out
yeah it is ....
the Left / Progressives / State Run Media, is taking pot shots at the GOP Congress Critters for wanting to gut the Ethics Office, when their own have taken several shots at the Ethics Office in the past

Relevant how? Ryan has, on day effing one, just tossed away buckets of credibility. You're argument, as I understand it, is 'yeahbutt'. Yeah, butt THEY did it too! And you're saying that, I assume, with the intention of that, somehow, helping the cause of the GOP. How? No one cares. They've #### themselves so poorly on this that there is no helping it. It's only making it worse. Maybe it makes you feel better but they're bailing on it as fast as they can. If it was relevant, wouldn't they stick with it? Try and make the case you're trying to make, the the CBC wanted this a few years back, therefore, it's OK for the GOP to want it.

I mean, come on. It only gets worse.

Hijinx

More likely based on what? You are aware, I assume, that the GOP is now leading the charge to weaken the ethics panel, yes? Does that mean they, by your reasoning, are more likely to be disproportionately guilty of ethics violation? Or do you not see where you just stepped in it?

Only in your mind Larry.

By the way the GOP is no longer leading the charge. The CBC is.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
No, it's not relevant. This is the GOP equivalent of 'The Russians did it!" They, like the DNC, did something profoundly stupid and now are all about trying to smokescreen the thing and point the finger at whatever target will do. Why not just say "We did something profoundly stupid and will do our best to be less stupid in the future..." and let it die? Why help keep it alive? Why risk now pointing fingers at the CBC and risk also being accused of some racial bias, which ANY fool can now see coming. Any fool, I guess, except for whomever thought it was smart to dig this crap up?

You have no problem digging up "bush crap" from 15 years or so ago. I guess that's relevant, right?

Absolutely relevant. Just ask the cbc. Just ask the past eight years of "it's Bush's fault". Being accused of racial bias is not a fear of conservatives or republicans - it is an accepted and simple fact that they will be called that. Just like the homosexual communi-tuh! that calls out and denigrates anyone that does not agree with them completely. Just like the pro-abortion mob that tries to charter assassinate anyone that dares stand in their way.

It ain't gonna die, so just face it and beat it back.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You have no problem digging up "bush crap" from 15 years or so ago. I guess that's relevant, right?

Absolutely relevant. Just ask the cbc. Just ask the past eight years of "it's Bush's fault". Being accused of racial bias is not a fear of conservatives or republicans - it is an accepted and simple fact that they will be called that. Just like the homosexual communi-tuh! that calls out and denigrates anyone that does not agree with them completely. Just like the pro-abortion mob that tries to charter assassinate anyone that dares stand in their way.

It ain't gonna die, so just face it and beat it back.

:lol: One of these things is not like the other. See if you can find it; TSA, DHS, Pat Act, Congressional Black Caucus complaining about an ethics panel 6 years ago, Med D, No Child, TARP

Trump made this even easier to understand; all this work to be done and this is your priority?