Social Security Admin Office in Charlotte Hall

Micki

Went there this morning, place is packed. You get a number from a computerized machine, sit down (if you can find an empty chair) and wait.

In my 2 hours of waiting, a man in a wide wheelchair tried to come in the front door - wheelchair wouldn't fit after several tries. Finally the caretaker got him out of his chair and he barely walked inside. Wheelchair folded out again and he could sit in the waiting area.

My point is, knowing the nature of a Social Security Office, you would think they would accommodate even wide wheelchairs. I believe (but don't know), that a lot of their customers are disabled and have to show up in person. I was just disgusted how their set-up is !

Rant over !

GregV814

well, I went in there back in June, same scenario....However I was the oldest in there and no place to sit...After 1 hour 10 minutes I left and went on-line for the information sought. However, more spanish than english was spoken...more toddlers in strollers being dragged by large welfare women and only 3 employees at the 10 window service counter....I hope there is some money when I want to collect...

Went there in June and July last summer. I did notice the door was a bit narrow, but didn't think of the ramifications for wheelchair folks.

Both times I was there, I got to see someone within 15 minutes and was out in under 1/2 hour. I use Google on my phone to bring up info on the office, and it shows a chart of open times and history of expected loading. I pick low volume days at low volume times.

Screenshot_2017-01-05-14-52-43.jpg

Micki

well, I went in there back in June, same scenario....However I was the oldest in there and no place to sit...After 1 hour 10 minutes I left and went on-line for the information sought. However, more spanish than english was spoken...more toddlers in strollers being dragged by large welfare women and only 3 employees at the 10 window service counter....I hope there is some money when I want to collect...

Greg, unfortunately, I had to be there in person to show my renewed alien card. But, today, people were compassionate with offering older peeps their chair, I liked that. Otherwise, like you said, lots of overweight women with children and the whole clan with it !!! And, I could collect already, but rather work - then I know I get paid !

Micki

Went there in June and July last summer. I did notice the door was a bit narrow, but didn't think of the ramifications for wheelchair folks.

Both times I was there, I got to see someone within 15 minutes and was out in under 1/2 hour. I use Google on my phone to bring up info on the office, and it shows a chart of open times and history of expected loading. I pick low volume days at low volume times.

Thanks for that ! Hopefully I'll never have to go there again ! I think, a regular wheelchair would fit but not a wide one. It just hit me the wrong way.

FED_UP

Need to get a copy of my lost social security card, what is the best time to go to charlotte office, it sounds like horror there. I am not from this state, but that should not be a problem I guess. Its seems the best time to go is as soon as they open up. Probably need id and birth certificate I would guess.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Need to get a copy of my lost social security card, what is the best time to go to charlotte office, it sounds like horror there. I am not from this state, but that should not be a problem I guess. Its seems the best time to go is as soon as they open up. Probably need id and birth certificate I would guess.

Go online and do it.
You need to create an account.

https://www.ssa.gov/

acommondisaster

Count your blessings that you didn't have to go to Camp Springs. I've dealt with both places and Charlotte Hall is like a vacation resort compared to Camp Springs. I'm surprised no one has identified the wheelchair problem.

Social Security (if they cared) could take a lesson from Waldorf DMV and have someone (someone friendly) do triage while people wait. "what are you here for, did you know you could quickly do that online...we have a kiosk here you could use....etc"

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I applied for SS at 62, and will get $648 a month. First installment went into the bank, yesterday. I am rich! :lol:

Popster

Congress put a freeze on hiring and pulled funding.... so fewer employees to serve the public. Starve the beast plan in action.

FED_UP

Well is was not a nightmare, on Monday I got their about 10 minutes before opening, by 9am there were about 15 people in line. Security dude comes out, to give his spill " no weapons, pocket knives, no cameras etc, says if you got an appointment go on in. Get inside booth lady says" if you just need a social security card come on up. I get a ticket number and sit down. Called about 10 minutes later to a window, did my thing at the window, she says you should receive it in a week. So I was out about 9:25.