Conservatives cry bitter tears over commemorative $100 coin

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" The U.S. Mint is unveiling a commemorative $100 gold coin that depicts Liberty as a black woman — and conservatives are predictably freaking out.

The 2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin, which will be released April 6, shows the year of the mint’s founding, 1792, and the woman’s head in profile, reported the Associated Press.

The mint said the coins were intended to reflect “the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States,” and others in a series of 24-karat gold coins will feature designs representing Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans and Indian-Americans.

The news was greeted with howls of outrage from online racists. "

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/lady-liberty-isnt-black-that-simple-conservatives-cry-bitter-tears-over-commemorative-100-coin/

itsbob

I bowl overhand
" The U.S. Mint is unveiling a commemorative $100 gold coin that depicts Liberty as a black woman — and conservatives are predictably freaking out.

The 2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin, which will be released April 6, shows the year of the mint’s founding, 1792, and the woman’s head in profile, reported the Associated Press.

The mint said the coins were intended to reflect “the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States,” and others in a series of 24-karat gold coins will feature designs representing Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans and Indian-Americans.

The news was greeted with howls of outrage from online racists. "

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/lady-liberty-isnt-black-that-simple-conservatives-cry-bitter-tears-over-commemorative-100-coin/

So you're ignorant enough to equate racism to conservative?

I have no issue with the coin, though I have to say I've heard others say it depicts an African American, and that I disagree with.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... and others in a series of 24-karat gold coins will feature designs representing Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans and Indian-Americans.

clicked off the multicultural diversity list :shrug: where are the European Americans

This_person

Looks like a gold woman to me....:shrug:

But, if @Drg on Twitter says it's not ok, well, such a high-ranking conservative as that is someone that speaks for us all :rolleyes:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It may have distinguishing features of a black woman.. Maybe.. But to me she looks more Jamaican or Haitian..

But of course a racist would group ALL black or dark skinned people as African.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have heard precisely zero "conservatives" complaining about this. Perhaps the author of this blog post should consider pulling their head out of their ass.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'm a conservative. I saw it in an article on WTOP earlier and was wondering if I wanted to pick up a couple to give to my kids.

Hijinx

It's called a $100 dollar commemorative Gold Coin.
Does that mean it costs $100 dollars and I can take it to the bank and get a One Hundred dollar Bill for it?

Or is it just a collectors coin hardly worth the face value?

tommyjo

It's called a $100 dollar commemorative Gold Coin.
Does that mean it costs $100 dollars and I can take it to the bank and get a One Hundred dollar Bill for it?

Or is it just a collectors coin hardly worth the face value?

Wow...that was a stupid post...why don't you go look up the info I provided on this topic in an earlier thread???

Why don't you go to the US Mint's website?

Hijinx

Wow...that was a stupid post...why don't you go look up the info I provided on this topic in an earlier thread???

Why don't you go to the US Mint's website?

Why don't you just answer the question. You know so much it should be easy for you.

glhs837

Power with Control
Can you admit your title was BS? Every twitter post in the linked article was by a person who might be conservative, or might not be, but is for sure a racist. GURPs, we have been there all along, because you know all euros look alike....... :) Italian, Greek, Swedish, Russian, all the same.

Hijinx

Why would ANYONE do that? Look up something you wrote?

I even tried reading her post, but my questions is if I buy this coin can I go to any bank in a year's time or ten years time and get 100 bucks for it?
I didn't see that answered.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My question would be is there actually $100 worth of gold in this coin, or at least nearly?

If there's not significant metal value, mass-produced commemoratives remain relatively flat as an investment.

I skimmed over six different news stories on this and found no mention of it being legal tender. So to answer your question about regaining Currency from a bank I'd say no.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

]

So, if we put Condi Rice on there, what would be the outcry? Or, is that enough to disprove the hypothesis?

PeoplesElbow

I think it looks like Lisa Bonet, had no idea the woman on the coin was supposed to be lady liberty though. So what?