Whitey Get Ready To Pay More ....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Finally, An App That Splits The Bill So That White Men Pay More
Because, patriarchy! And racism!

UPDATE: 3/16 — EquiTable is now available for download on the iOS app, and a new commercial (which you can watch above) was shared via the app’s Facebook page on Wednesday. And the app has also devised a way to give back. Equitable automatically adds a surcharge for “high privilege groups,” subsidizing meals for others and funding EquiTable’s charitable arm.

PREVIOUSLY:

According to the Institute of Women’s Policy Research, women in America won’t be paid as much as men for the same work for another 100 or so years. But thanks to a new app, we can even the playing field soon. That is, when we go out to eat.

The app, called Equitable, is designed to split group restaurant bills based on gender and racial wage gaps. So if you’re a white man brunching with a black woman and a Latina, be prepared to pay a little extra for that avocado toast. Hey, it’s not our fault! It’s the patriarchy.

According to the app’s website, “EquiTable helps you avoid the entrenched discrimination that exists in our society. It doesn’t split the bill equally — it splits it equitably. You pay what you should to balance out the wage gap.”

SamSpade

What does that accomplish? Although there exist people who somehow feel GUILT and will want to do this - the only thing this does is encourage whites to NOT dine with people who will pay less.

And honestly - if you're not the white person and they were to freely OFFER to pay more due to white privilege - isn't this more likely to just piss you off?

Clem72

How often do you just split a bill, rather than pay for what you specifically ordered? If I go to lunch with a colleague that orders steak and lobster, while I order the burger and fries, I sure as #### wouldn't be splitting it 50/50 (and have never been asked to).

Usually, one person hands over a credit card and everyone else tosses a bit more than their due in cash at that person.

Hijinx

I don't see this as a black white issue.
I believe the thing is an economic issue.

Of course I am guessing , but I would bet there isn't a part of it where race is entered into the equation.

I assume that in order for this to work each person at the table would have to say how much money they make.
This is put into the calculation and the thing figures the answer from that.

Personally if someone was figuring this and asked me for my salary I would tell them to go screw themselves.
Fact is the whole app sounds stupid to me as I usually have dinner with people in my own class who are not averse to paying their own tab or splitting it if the bill is close to even.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'd ask for Separate Checks, Homeboy can pay for his own meal ...

Frankly people of color should be insulted at this racist crap, the implication being - they are less successful than whites

Clem72

I'd ask for Separate Checks, Homeboy can pay for his own meal ...

Frankly people of color should be insulted at this racist crap, the implication being - they are less successful than whites

Why would they be insulted, they are taking it for every free advantage they can get ( and they refers to the subset that are taking advantage, not to everyone in that class).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And honestly - if you're not the white person and they were to freely OFFER to pay more due to white privilege - isn't this more likely to just piss you off?

That is HILARIOUS! :roflmao:

"Here, Raymondo and Shaniqua, I'm white and make more money than you because of my inherent superiority, so let me pay for 15% of your meal."

:lmao:

The progbots don't really think about things before they spew.

Clem72

That is HILARIOUS! :roflmao:

"Here, Raymondo and Shaniqua, I'm white and make more money than you because of my inherent superiority, so let me pay for 15% of your meal."

I was thinking more like:
"Here, Raymondo and Shanique, I'm white and despite the fact that I had a higher SAT and ACT scores, and a higher GPA, I had to settle for a lower tier university than you did, and even though I earned degrees in electrical engineering and math, your liberal arts degree somehow allowed you to be hired as middle management over me in our small engineering firm so that we could qualify for special consideration when competing for contracts with the Federal Government; which of course means that you both earn 20% more than I do while doing less work and taking longer lunch breaks. So let me thank you for allowing me to come on this extended lunch with you (and fall behind in my work) and in thanks and recognition of my obvious white privilege I will gladly pay %15 percent of your meal."

Last edited:

SamSpade

I was thinking more like:
"Here, Raymondo and Shanique, I'm white and despite the fact that I had a higher SAT and ACT scores, and a higher GPA, I had to settle for a lower tier university than you did, and even though I earned degrees in electrical engineering and math, your liberal arts degree somehow allowed you to be hired as middle management over me in our small engineering firm so that we could qualify for special consideration when competing for contracts with the Federal Government; which of course means that you both earn 20% more than I do while doing less work and taking longer lunch breaks. So let me thank you for allowing me to come on this extended lunch with you (and fall behind in my work) and in thanks and recognition of my obvious white privilege I will gladly pay %15 percent of your meal."

How does this thing - work? I mean, really? The article just says it consults national data, but - do the patrons decide how it's used? Or the wait staff? Who decides who is "white"? My best friend is *technically* Hispanic although he speaks no more Spanish than I do, and most people looking at him probably would not guess. His siblings look Hispanic - but he does not. My first engineering job I worked with older black gentleman - who made a lot more than twice what I made. They would pay less, even though they could probably BURN the amount of money I made?

I have to think the whole point is a joke - to provoke people.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have to think the whole point is a joke - to provoke people.

IIRC the app was developed by a Comedian ....

Luna Malbroux, a San Francisco comedian, talk-show host and artist in residence at the historic African American Arts and Culture Complex is the mastermind behind the idea, which was the Grand Prize winner at the 2016 Comedy Hack Day in San Francisco.

For Malbroux and her team, the app is a tongue-in-cheek way to start a discussion about the very serious issue of wage inequality. Of course, while the app (which was originally called “Equipay”) has drawn praise, it’s also gotten some criticism.