Why does education cost so much?

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, while perusing the latest somdnewsbot positing, I noticed this bit.

Dr. Kortet Mensah Announced as Associate Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion/Chief Diversity Officer;

Which seems to imply there is at least two other people in the department of Diversity and Inclusion. A President and Vice President at least. Might be able to assume some staff of some kind, I cant imagine the Associate VP doing all the work. And the takeaway to me is that unless these are what the Navy calls collateral duties, meaning stuff you do outside your normal job but don't get paid for, we the taxpayers and students attending are paying three people or more to do a thing that should naturally just fold right into the HR and Admission departments. What am I missing?

terbear1225

Well, while perusing the latest somdnewsbot positing, I noticed this bit.

Which seems to imply there is at least two other people in the department of Diversity and Inclusion. A President and Vice President at least. Might be able to assume some staff of some kind, I cant imagine the Associate VP doing all the work. And the takeaway to me is that unless these are what the Navy calls collateral duties, meaning stuff you do outside your normal job but don't get paid for, we the taxpayers and students attending are paying three people or more to do a thing that should naturally just fold right into the HR and Admission departments. What am I missing?

It is possible that there are not two other people in the department. Sometimes the term Vice President indicates someone with specialized duties who reports to the President of the organization, not a President of Diversity specifically.

tommyjo

A 40 year push by colleges to convince society that parents should foot 100% of the bill (deeper pockets are able to pay more than the barren wasteland that is the pocket of most college kids.)

More kids going to college...(increased demand = increased cost)

States slashing budgetary funding of higher education. (students/parents have to foot more of the bill)

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
....anytime it is easy to get money to buy something, demand goes up and so do prices.....

....think housing boom....

Chris0nllyn

A 40 year push by colleges to convince society that parents should foot 100% of the bill (deeper pockets are able to pay more than the barren wasteland that is the pocket of most college kids.)

More kids going to college...(increased demand = increased cost)

States slashing budgetary funding of higher education. (students/parents have to foot more of the bill)

I disagree with your first sentence.

Having gone to college on and off for umpteen years now, I can assure you the attitude is not that I, nor my parents will pay, it's "Fill out your FAFSA and get a pell grant, get a govt. loan, submit your info and we'll see if we can give you any assistance".

You can claim there's been a push, overall, to try and convince parents and students that college is the best way, the only way to make it in this country, but I certainly wouldn't say there's been a 4 decade push to make parents pay 100% of the bill. If that were the case, little Johnny and Suzy wouldn't be getting a (useless) degree in communications or theater arts.

Kev_Russell

....anytime it is easy to get money to buy something, demand goes up and so do prices.....

....think housing boom....

Exactly.

Once Bill Clinton set the maximum amount of student loans per year to $36,000-ish (or whatever the ceiling was) it didn't take very long for the average price of a year of college tuition to converge on that price ceiling. This ain't rocket science.

PeoplesElbow

Exactly.

Once Bill Clinton set the maximum amount of student loans per year to $36,000-ish (or whatever the ceiling was) it didn't take very long for the average price of a year of college tuition to converge on that price ceiling. This ain't rocket science.

Not sure what you are talking about, I was in college during the Clinton administration and the max a Jr or Sr could take out was $5500/year in federal loans. He did make my payments tax deductible, that only worked for a couple years till I crossed the income threshold though.