Trump and the Republicans Are on a Suicide Mission Together

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
One of the things supposedly driving President Donald Trump to distraction, in what should be a celebratory first week in office, is that he isn’t getting a honeymoon period from the media and the general public. “Trump has been resentful, even furious, at what he views as the media’s failure to reflect the magnitude of his achievements,” The Washington Post reported this week, “and he feels demoralized that the public’s perception of his presidency so far does not necessarily align with his own sense of accomplishment.”

Trump is still widely disliked, as he was even the day after he defeated Hillary Clinton; the fact that he’s so unpopular contributed to the weak turnout at his inauguration; on Friday, reporters noted (accurately) that far fewer people attended his swearing-in than attended Barack Obama’s first inauguration; on Saturday, they noted (again, accurately) that a massive anti-Trump protest on the first day of his presidency was also better attended than his inauguration.

Trump hasn’t been able to let it go. His preoccupation with popularity hasn’t motivated him to do popular things, but it has driven him to manic outbursts about imaginary voter fraud and media conspiracies. An apparently typical digression about fraud and the popular vote during a meeting with congressional leaders this week “was greeted with silence, and Mr. Trump was prodded to change the subject by Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, and Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas,” according to The New York Times.

House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell are at pains to maintain a façade of unity. But behind these conspicuous morale-boosting exercises, Republicans are doing a poor job concealing their awareness of how terribly this fledgling government is going. What they haven’t done is anything meaningful to change the trajectory. They have signed up for a suicide mission with Trump, without a complete understanding of what the purpose of the mission is, whether it will succeed, or how severe the collateral damage will be.

https://newrepublic.com/article/140169/trump-republicans-suicide-mission-together

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Winning the House, the Senate, AND the presidency. Perhaps your definition of "suicide" is different than mine.

Hijinx

Another idiot writer using the crowd at Trumps Inauguration to project a BS opinion that no one showed up to watch it.

1. By no means was it a small crowd.
2. When Obama was Inaugurated no one stayed home because radical crazies threatened to cause trouble.
3.The weather was nasty.
4.Security was naver before as tight.

IMO after all of the threats, the city having to bring in extra police to guard against threats, the threatening weather, and the fact that 95% of blacks had voted for Obama and went to see this historical Inauguration of the Magic Negro. Plus the fact that all of Congress went because if they hadn't they would have been called racist. Trump had a helluva crowd.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I find it interesting that he keeps being accused of being obsessed (I saw that in a headline) with his popularity...but they keep asking questions about it, poking and prodding with headlines and every single press conference so far they ask about it.... I saw the tricky editing in the Muir interview...the dude did a voiceover at the end, "And before I left, Trump wanted to show me. ONE. LAST. THING" and cut to a shot of him pointing to a picture of his innaguration. They are pushing that narrative SO HARD. Shame on Trump for biting, but his explanation was plenty clear to me "they are trying to demean me and the people who stood out there for me, I won't let them do it"

The lengths the mainstream media is going to discredit Trump is INSANE. The headlines are incredible and the substanc eof the article never lives up tot he headline's accusations. It is no wonder so many shallow people think the dude is a total ####ing monster....if you just read the headlines, you would sure think so.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Trump has nominated a Sec State, an oil guy no less, who states, flat out, climate change IS a concern. His nomination is being held up. How odd.

Trump has nominated a DHS guy who says, flat out, the wall won't fix the problem. He's been confirmed.

Trump has nominated a Sec Def who says torture doesn't work. He's been confirmed. Further, Trump has stated, publicly, Mattis can over ride him on the issue. That is YUGE.

Trump has nominated a CIA director who is open to torture and black sites re-opening. With significant D support. Is torture becoming kewl again on the left?

Oh, and Trump put the last nail in the coffin of TPP, with no less than Bernie Sanders applauding.

And the DOW topped 20k.

Is that such a bad week?

I mean, he ruined it with this ill considered immigration disaster but, other than that, a good start.