Update on Miss Teia.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
For those who remember the semi-famous Miss Teia Honey, she is still with us and in relatively good health. Had a rough patch earlier this week, but vet says, if the blood work shows what she expects, there are a couple medicines we can give her (thyroid and kidneys). She is down to under 6 pounds, from the 12 she weighed in her more prime time with us.

Biggest finding, vet thinks (saw our usual vet's colleague in the practice, Park Vet Clinic) Teia is likely a bit older than we were led to believe by her previous owner. Teia is likely about 6 months older, which will mean (with the new consensus birth bracket), she will be 19 in June, which will also make 8 years we've had her. The folks we got her from were told 6 months old by the vet they used. Friends in rescue tell me it is not unusual for a vet to underage a cat to make them seem more adoptable.

Miss_Teia_Honey-17YearsOld-20151221-01.jpg

Last edited:

Roman

She looks so happy! Our cat Ollie passed in 2015 at the age of 21 years. It's amazing that they can live that long. I hope Teia gets well soon.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just got back from Miss Teia's follow up, no more blood, did get a good sample of her bladder contents, expect culture results on Friday.

Her T4 number was in the mild hyperthyroid area, medicine is on order, Doc wrote it as a half usual dose, a gel we'll apply to the inside of her ear once a day.

New thing for Teia, Vet took her blood pressure, which turned out to be in the normal range, even taking into account "white coat fever."

If there is a low grade infection, Dr Ironmonger said that can be treated with a mild antibiotic, otherwise, we'll start the mild kidney med.

Teia did gain .4 pounds, up to 5.8 from 5.4.

littlelady

God bless the USA
She looks so happy! Our cat Ollie passed in 2015 at the age of 21 years. It's amazing that they can live that long. I hope Teia gets well soon.

Amazing, isn't it! My first cat, Kitty, lived to be 21, as well. I found her in a tree in my front yard in NOLA when I was 10. Don't know where she came from. She died a few months before my dot was born in 1986.

Just got back from Miss Teia's follow up, no more blood, did get a good sample of her bladder contents, expect culture results on Friday.

Her T4 number was in the mild hyperthyroid area, medicine is on order, Doc wrote it as a half usual dose, a gel we'll apply to the inside of her ear once a day.

New thing for Teia, Vet took her blood pressure, which turned out to be in the normal range, even taking into account "white coat fever."

If there is a low grade infection, Dr Ironmonger said that can be treated with a mild antibiotic, otherwise, we'll start the mild kidney med.

Teia did gain .4 pounds, up to 5.8 from 5.4.

I wish the best for Miss Teia. She is, obviously, very much loved by you. Does she have calico or tuxedo in her mix?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Amazing, isn't it! My first cat, Kitty, lived to be 21, as well. I found her in a tree in my front yard in NOLA when I was 10. Don't know where she came from. She died a few months before my dot was born in 1986.

Anita and I have had 10 kitties together so far, our oldest was Calamity Jane Grey, who made it to 21 years 4 months, November 1982 - March 2004.

I wish the best for Miss Teia. She is, obviously, very much loved by you. Does she have calico or tuxedo in her mix?

Thank you. Dr Bennett at Park Clinic called her a tabby with a big white spot. :lol:

She has a few cream highlights, which show up when she is sitting in full sunshine. But, if she had no white, I think she'd be a very dark tabby.

1st dose of the thyroid cream was this morning, she barely flicked her ear at me once it was applied.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Anita and I have had 10 kitties together so far, our oldest was Calamity Jane Grey, who made it to 21 years 4 months, November 1982 - March 2004.Thank you. Dr Bennett at Park Clinic called her a tabby with a big white spot. :lol: She has a few cream highlights, which show up when she is sitting in full sunshine. But, if she had no white, I think she'd be a very dark tabby. 1st dose of the thyroid cream was this morning, she barely flicked her ear at me once it was applied.

Wow! I love her name...Calamity Jane Grey. :smile:

Go, Miss Teia! :yay:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Wow! I love her name...Calamity Jane Grey. :smile:

Go, Miss Teia! :yay:

Calamity's sister was Queen Victoria. She lived 17 1/2 years (Nov 82 - May 00). She was also a grey kitty, first 2 my wife and I had together after we married.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Calamity's sister was Queen Victoria. She lived 17 1/2 years (Nov 82 - May 00). She was also a grey kitty, first 2 my wife and I had together after we married.

Awww. I love your kitty history/stories. We had a grey kitty named Grey Cat...GreyC was her official name at the vet. She had a white diamond on her chest. Santa Claus brought her to our 2 year old dot for Christmas. We found her at an animal shelter like all of our pets (except for Daisy Doodle Dog that we have now; we paid for her through a breeder because of allergy proofness; what a spoiled mess she is :lol:). The joy was priceless. GreyC lived to be 17. The memories are wonderful. :smile:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Doc called, no low grade infection or other bacterial cause, so we'll be starting Miss Teia on a twice a week kidney medicine, will also try and get her to eat a kidney friendly food.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Miss Teia had a rough patch Monday evening, was able to get her in to the vet the next morning.
Vitals were good, physical exam concluded she was a little stopped up, got subq fluids, anti-nausea med and a mild appetite stimulant.

When we got home, she wanted food. I gave her a little and she kept it down. Fed her little portions over the course of the rest of the day...next morning she yelled until I gave her a regular portion, ate 1/2 can by the time I left for work.

Blood was also taken as she's been on the thyroid medicine 4 weeks.
Results came back. Thyroid numbers are in normal range, will continue with the half dose. Liver numbers were back in normal range, too.
1 kidney number is a little high, but the ratio with the other number is okay. Will monitor and vet wants to recheck in 4 weeks.

Here's Miss Teia with her younger "brothers." Cooper is the dark grey and Buff is the ginger. They are the first boy cats we've had, adopted them from a rescue at 4 months old in October 2014. Teia seems to like having them around. It's a big change for her towards other cats.

Teia_Buff_n_Cooper-2016December11-01sm.jpg

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
daisy.jpg Looks like she's hangin' in! Good for her! Love the pic. I miss Kitty, GrayC, Tommy and Sox so much, and miss having a cat. :huggy:

Edit: Can't sleep. Just wanted to say that cats have marked my life; so to speak. :lol: I found Kitty in a tree in my front yard in NOLA when I was 10. She lived to be 21 just short of my first baby being born. GrayC was brought by Santa Claus when my dot was 2; she lived to be 16. Tommy and Sox were adopted from Tri County when we got our two pups. Tommy and Sox lived to be 15. The pups died at 14. Oreo and Cookie (my pups) were great, too. Sorry, wanted to share because it helps. :smile:

And, now, we have Daisy Doodle; the most spoiled creature, ever!

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Kyoot pup. =)

I recall your story of finding Kitty.

The way she has taken to being Queen of the House and being out and about, we think Miss Teia was born here and brought to Illinois where we adopted her from the folks who rescued her from the street. George is a former Marine and was stationed at Pax River, before moving back to be near family in Illinois. Back there, she hid most of the time, either under the bed or in the walk-in closet.

After that 900 miles car ride to here, she had a change within the 1st couple of weeks. I believe she smells a difference and knows she is Home.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Kyoot pup. =)

I recall your story of finding Kitty.

The way she has taken to being Queen of the House and being out and about, we think Miss Teia was born here and brought to Illinois where we adopted her from the folks who rescued her from the street. George is a former Marine and was stationed at Pax River, before moving back to be near family in Illinois. Back there, she hid most of the time, either under the bed or in the walk-in closet.

After that 900 miles car ride to here, she had a change within the 1st couple of weeks. I believe she smells a difference and knows she is Home.

Love your story. :smile:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Miss Teia has never had a cat friend. When we got her, she did not much like people and hated other cats. Her resistance started to break down in Illinois when she started trusting Anita and me, sitting on our laps, letting us pick her up...was even eating her meals just outside "Her Room" with our Hildiekatt of fond memory nearby.

The past few months, when she's laying on Anita in the recliner chair, has accepted Buff laying near her. One day she even let him rest his head on her shoulder.

IMGP3534.jpg

The medicine seems to be working for Teia, was going to bring her in this week for a follow up, but Dr Ironmonger called and talked with Anita. Said it sounds like kitty is doing good, so don't stress her, we'll bring her in next month.