Here's Why It's Fair—and Necessary—to Call Trump's Chief Strategist a White Nationalist Champion

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" After Donald Trump announced he was appointing Stephen Bannon to a top job in the White House as chief strategist, I sent out a tweet referring to a Mother Jones story that reported on how Bannon, when he was head of Breitbart News, the far-right conservative site, provided a haven for white nationalists.

In response, Roger Stone, a longtime Trump adviser and conspiracy theory advocate (he wrote a book claiming Lyndon B. Johnson killed John F. Kennedy), tweeted at me: "'White Nationalist' my ass. Stop with the childish name calling….we don't call you a communist."

There was a major problem with his tweet: I am not a communist, and Bannon is indeed a champion of white nationalists and white supremacists. And this is according to an expert on this matter: Stephen Bannon.

In July, Bannon, who soon would leave Breitbart to become a top campaign aide to Trump, was interviewed by journalist Sarah Posner. He proudly declared of Breitbart, "We're the platform for the alt-right." The alt-right is an extreme but not well-defined wing of the conservative movement that rants against immigrants, Muslims, the globalist agenda, and multiculturalism and that generally advocates white nationalism (if not white supremacism—in this world, there is a difference).

The alt-right also generates a hefty amount of anti-Semitism. (For more on the alt-right, see here and here.)

In that interview, Bannon did claim that not all alt-righters were racists and anti-Semites. "Look, are there some people that are white nationalists that are attracted to some of the philosophies of the alt-right?" he said. "Maybe. Are there some people that are anti-Semitic that are attracted? Maybe. Right? Maybe some people are attracted to the alt-right that are homophobes, right? But that's just like, there are certain elements of the progressive left and the hard left that attract certain elements." But that was whitewashing. How do we know? Because of Breitbart's own coverage. "

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/11/why-its-fair-and-necessary-call-trumps-chief-strategist-stephen-bannon-white-nationalist

Hijinx

The author calls Bannon a white Nationalist. Fine, but that doesn't make him happy, he goes on to call him a white supremacist---not so fine.

I don't know what others feel of the definitions of each, but to me there is nothing wrong with being a white nationalist,Nothing any more wrong than NH boy being a black Nationalist. But when the BS turns to calling someone a supremacist that is a blatant accusation of racism and violent motives. Whoever wrote this owes Bannon an apology.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nativist
Nationalist
White

Progressive Identity Politics demands you no longer be proud of your country, and if you are white - check your privilege and sit the fuc down

SamSpade

Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong profession. I wish I could write for a living by just inserting conjecture as fact and leaps of logic as argument.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong profession. I wish I could write for a living by just inserting conjecture as fact and leaps of logic as argument.

Don't forget to put a negative connotation on a positive trait.

Nationalist: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

See also patriotism.

So if our President and his cabinet/advisors are patriots and nationalists, well good. They're supposed to be.

SamSpade

Don't forget to put a negative connotation on a positive trait.

Nationalist: loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially : a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups

See also patriotism.

So if our President and his cabinet/advisors are patriots and nationalists, well good. They're supposed to be.

I just remember years ago, I was on a forum where a particular poster was not well liked by many. I liked him, but - I also understood him and knew when he was being sarcastic, funny and even though we disagreed fiercely on many topics, there was not a shred of animosity.

His detractors saw no middle ground. If he didn't agree with you, he MUST totally believe the most horrific version of the OPPOSITE of what you believe. Moreover - they had all kinds of conjectures about what he was like to his children - his family - his friends - and eventually -

The conjectures were treated as die-hard facts. If someone called him an abusive husband - well by God he WAS one. Furthermore - we all should find out where he lives and let the cops know.
I got sick of that damned place. Truth and reality had no place there.

This guy takes his opinion of what "alt-right" means - and when Bannon puts himself squarely in the alt-right - well by God, he just admitted to this imagined conjecture about what *I* think it is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wouldn't diversity and tolerance and multiculturalism include white, and black, nationalists? I mean, as long as no one is violating anyone elses rights, don't we want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, ####-kickers and Methodists?