"Obama Adminstration Did Nothing Similar to Trump Ban"

tommyjo

There are so many reasons to detest the Donald Trump administration’s executive order on “Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States,” that it’s hard to know where to start.

Others have already argued eloquently about its cruelty in singling out the most vulnerable in society; its strategic folly in insulting countries and individuals the United States needs to help it fight terrorism (the ostensible purpose of the order in the first place); its cynical incoherence in using the September 11 attacks as a rationale and then exempting the attackers’ countries of origin; its ham-handed implementation and ever-shifting explanations for how, and to whom, it applies...

In light of all that, and particular in light of the new White House’s acknowledged aversion to facts, it may seem like a minor point that President Donald Trump and his advisors, in seeking to justify and normalize the executive order, have made a series of false or misleading claims about steps taken five years earlier by the Barack Obama administration. In case you missed it, a statement from the president published Sunday afternoon read:

“My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months. The seven countries named in the Executive Order are the same countries previously identified by the Obama administration as sources of terror.”

Leaving aside the unusual nature of team Trump looking to his predecessors’ policies for cover, it seems worth pointing out this statement obscures at least five enormous differences between the executive order the White House issued on Friday and what the Obama administration did.

I'll just put in this one...you morons can go read the rest...if you can read that is...

2. Not a ban: Contrary to Trump’s Sunday statement and the repeated claims of his defenders, the Obama administration did not “ban visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.” For one thing, refugees don’t travel on visas. More importantly, while the flow of Iraqi refugees slowed significantly during the Obama administration’s review, refugees continued to be admitted to the United States during that time, and there was not a single month in which no Iraqis arrived here. In other words, while there were delays in processing, there was no outright ban.

Well...this is interesting and, of course, counters the fact free claims of our illustrious President:

[QUOTE]*Bonus: Obama’s “seven countries” taken out of context: Trump’s claim that the seven countries listed in the executive order came from the Obama administration is conveniently left unexplained. A bit of background: soon after the December 2015 terror attack in San Bernadino, President Obama signed an amendment to the Visa Waiver Program, a law that allows citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States without obtaining visas (and gives Americans reciprocal privileges in those countries). The amendment removed from the Visa Waiver Program dual nationals who were citizens of four countries (Iraq, Iran, Sudan, and Syria), or anyone who had recently traveled to those countries. The Obama administration added three more to the list (Libya, Somalia, and Yemen), bringing the total to seven. But this law did not bar anyone from coming to the United States. It only required a relatively small percentage of people to obtain a visa first. And to avoid punishing people who clearly had good reasons to travel to the relevant countries, the Obama administration used a waiver provided by Congress for certain travelers, including journalists, aid workers, and officials from international organizations like the United Nations.[/QUOTE]

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'll just put in this one...you morons can go read the rest...if you can read that is...

Well...this is interesting and, of course, counters the fact free claims of our illustrious President:

[QUOTE]*Bonus: Obama’s “seven countries” taken out of context: Trump’s claim that the seven countries listed in the executive order came from the Obama administration is conveniently left unexplained. A bit of background: soon after the December 2015 terror attack in San Bernadino, President Obama signed an amendment to the Visa Waiver Program, a law that allows citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States without obtaining visas (and gives Americans reciprocal privileges in those countries). The amendment removed from the Visa Waiver Program dual nationals who were citizens of four countries (Iraq, Iran, Sudan, and Syria), or anyone who had recently traveled to those countries. The Obama administration added three more to the list (Libya, Somalia, and Yemen), bringing the total to seven. But this law did not bar anyone from coming to the United States. It only required a relatively small percentage of people to obtain a visa first. And to avoid punishing people who clearly had good reasons to travel to the relevant countries, the Obama administration used a waiver provided by Congress for certain travelers, including journalists, aid workers, and officials from international organizations like the United Nations.

#1, an opinion article isn't a "fact".

#2, you forgot to put a source link. So who's the moron again?

#3, AND you screwed up the last quote so it's not in the quote thingies. So who's the moron who can't even cut and paste correctly?

Last edited:

Hijinx

I see Obama is out there stirring this crap. Telling folks what a fine job they are doing by protesting Trump
As divisive as ever. Trying to start a Civil War I suppose. It sure seems like it.

Almost sedition, but I am sure he will stop just short of it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I see Obama is out there stirring this crap. Telling folks what a fine job they are doing by protesting Trump
As divisive as ever. Trying to start a Civil War I suppose. It sure seems like it.

Obama cannot stand it that his agenda wasn't continued through Hillary. His narcissistic feelings have been hurt. I didn't expect him to go out with dignity, and keep his mouth shut. He just can't do it. Look at me, what about me, why didn't you want me for more terms!!!???:tantrum:

Hijinx

Obama cannot stand it that his agenda wasn't continued through Hillary. His narcissistic feelings have been hurt. I didn't expect him to go out with dignity, and keep his mouth shut. He just can't do it. Look at me, what about me, why didn't you want me for more terms!!!???:tantrum:

He is a bitter man watching his agenda and his legacy go down the tubes.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Once a community organizer, always a community organizer. :yay:

littlelady

God bless the USA
He is a bitter man watching his agenda and his legacy go down the tubes.

Obama was a bitter man before he entered the WH, and so was his wife. :wink: Alinsky, Sharpton, Soros, et al are bitter, too. Got to find some humor in all that. Somewhere. I am still looking.

Last edited: