A Clarifying Moment in American History

tommyjo

This is not from some "libtard"...or "bot"...or "rioter"..."bawler"...

About the Author

Eliot A. Cohen is the director of the Strategic Studies Program at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies. From 2007 to 2009, he was a counselor to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

I am not surprised by President Donald Trump’s antics this week. Not by the big splashy pronouncements such as announcing a wall that he would force Mexico to pay for, even as the Mexican foreign minister held talks with American officials in Washington. Not by the quiet, but no less dangerous bureaucratic orders, such as kicking the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff out of meetings of the Principals’ Committee, the senior foreign-policy decision-making group below the president, while inserting his chief ideologist, Steve Bannon, into them. Many conservative foreign-policy and national-security experts saw the dangers last spring and summer, which is why we signed letters denouncing not Trump’s policies but his temperament; not his program but his character.

We were right. And friends who urged us to tone it down, to make our peace with him, to stop saying as loudly as we could “this is abnormal,” to accommodate him, to show loyalty to the Republican Party, to think that he and his advisers could be tamed, were wrong. In an epic week beginning with a dark and divisive inaugural speech, extraordinary attacks on a free press, a visit to the CIA that dishonored a monument to anonymous heroes who paid the ultimate price, and now an attempt to ban selected groups of Muslims (including interpreters who served with our forces in Iraq and those with green cards, though not those from countries with Trump hotels, or from really indispensable states like Saudi Arabia), he has lived down to expectations.

Precisely because the problem is one of temperament and character, it will not get better. It will get worse, as power intoxicates Trump and those around him. It will probably end in calamity—substantial domestic protest and violence, a breakdown of international economic relationships, the collapse of major alliances, or perhaps one or more new wars (even with China) on top of the ones we already have. It will not be surprising in the slightest if his term ends not in four or in eight years, but sooner, with impeachment or removal under the 25th Amendment. The sooner Americans get used to these likelihoods, the better.

The question is, what should Americans do about it? To friends still thinking of serving as political appointees in this administration, beware: When you sell your soul to the Devil, he prefers to collect his purchase on the installment plan. Trump’s disregard for either Secretary of Defense Mattis or Secretary-designate Tillerson in his disastrous policy salvos this week, in favor of his White House advisers, tells you all you need to know about who is really in charge. To be associated with these people is going to be, for all but the strongest characters, an exercise in moral self-destruction.

For the community of conservative thinkers and experts, and more importantly, conservative politicians, this is a testing time. Either you stand up for your principles and for what you know is decent behavior, or you go down, if not now, then years from now, as a coward or opportunist. Your reputation will never recover, nor should it.

Go ahead...read the rest; https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...y/514868/?mc_cid=b04b44bd2f&mc_eid=215fbbcfdf

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hello?? Donald Trump was elected because he said he'd build a wall to stem the flow of illegal immigration AND he would curtail radical Islamists from coming over here and blowing #### up. Why on earth do you or anyone else think that "Americans" are all aflutter because he's doing precisely what he was elected to do?

Let me repeat:

This is why we elected him.

Duh.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Hello?? Donald Trump was elected because he said he'd build a wall to stem the flow of illegal immigration AND he would curtail radical Islamists from coming over here and blowing #### up. Why on earth do you or anyone else think that "Americans" are all aflutter because he's doing precisely what he was elected to do?

Let me repeat:

This is why we elected him.

Duh.

Hope for change and all that. Maybe, we will get that this go-round.

Hijinx

This is not from some "libtard"...or "bot"...or "rioter"..."bawler"...

About the Author

Eliot A. Cohen is the director of the Strategic Studies Program at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies. From 2007 to 2009, he was a counselor to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Go ahead...read the rest; https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...y/514868/?mc_cid=b04b44bd2f&mc_eid=215fbbcfdf

This man has a right to his opinion. I have a right to disagree with his opinion.
Certainly there are going to be problems. I already see a big one coming along as I read that Obama has congratulated the lefties on opposing Trump. I look forward to him interposing himself at every chance he gets to further add to the divisiveness he has always shown himself to prefer.
IMO he is one of the greatest enemies this country has at this time, as we should be coming together and he is pulling us apart.
I believe my theory that he will continue his war against the new President will prove itself as time goes on.

black dog

Free America
I stopped reading at..." Eliot A. Cohen is the director of the Strategic Studies Program at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies "

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe they're just pissed because this president is doing what he said he'd do, unlike the moral shylocks they've blindly worshiped for so long.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I had to guess it's another liberal PHD that has to justify his Federal / International Grant Money.

In the libprog world, the word justify has been replaced with hypocrisy. Period. Here is a good example.

And, no, you will not find this story on msm because it would expose them; so to speak. I thought judges were supposed to be neutral; like the blind scales of justice. Silly me!

http://planetfreewill.com/2017/01/31/travis-county-judge-sarah-eckhardt-wears-pussy-hat-courtroom/

Last edited:

somdwatch

This is not from some "libtard"...or "bot"...or "rioter"..."bawler"... But from Me, Cause I'm like the BOY! Cut and Paste!!

About the Author

When the original writer calls it a Free Press you know they aint quite right. It may be Free Fake or Corrupt press but not all is FREE from personal opinion.

This_person

Not by the quiet, but no less dangerous bureaucratic orders, such as kicking the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff out of meetings of the Principals’ Committee

While I'm glad to see you were able to figure out how to add a link to the source this time, I needed to read no further than the quote above to stop reading. The quote above is factually inaccurate, and therefore calls into question the rest of anything the person has to say. The bombastic editorializing previously didn't dissuade me enough, but factually inaccurate statements do.