Wifi horrible but wired internet is good

PeoplesElbow

Up until a week ago my wifi was pretty good, but then i started getting interruptions in streaming TV. If I am connected via a wired port it is fine. I reset my router and its fine again for a few hours but then turns to crap again.

Any ideas? Time for a new router?

I swear it seemed to happen when I got a wireless printer, but I keep the printer turned off via a power strip most of the time to avoid back door attacks through it.

If rebooting seems to clear it, the issue could be the router or the service. Have you run a speedtest on the line, just after a reboot and then when it seems to be failing? Getting what you should? Wired is always faster than wireless so the overall performance of the line/router may be down, but wired is still just enough to stream without issue.

PeoplesElbow

I downloaded netgear genie and it keeps telling me that my router is not turned on, guessing there is something wrong there.

speedtest.com and fast.com give me about 8M which is more than enough. I was thinking of changing channels on the wifi but I cant even do that right now.

warneckutz

I downloaded netgear genie and it keeps telling me that my router is not turned on, guessing there is something wrong there.

speedtest.com and fast.com give me about 8M which is more than enough. I was thinking of changing channels on the wifi but I cant even do that right now.

Is it a Nighthawk router? The Genie is garbage half the time. used to work like a charm then a few updates happened and it's crap now.

Since it's Netgear make sure you have the latest firmware update - there was a pretty wide-open fault they left open for months that they got exposed for in December.

PeoplesElbow

Is it a Nighthawk router? The Genie is garbage half the time. used to work like a charm then a few updates happened and it's crap now.

Since it's Netgear make sure you have the latest firmware update - there was a pretty wide-open fault they left open for months that they got exposed for in December.

Much older than a nighthawk, probably 5-6 years old and ive never updated it.

I cant remember the address to type in to get to the webpage setup now.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Ours was crappy and now it keeps disconnecting. Metrocast told me a month ago when I asked that it was probably the modem. Our wireless router is only about 8 months old. Guess we'll be getting a new one. Ugh.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Up until a week ago my wifi was pretty good, but then i started getting interruptions in streaming TV. If I am connected via a wired port it is fine. I reset my router and its fine again for a few hours but then turns to crap again.

Any ideas? Time for a new router?

I swear it seemed to happen when I got a wireless printer, but I keep the printer turned off via a power strip most of the time to avoid back door attacks through it.

Your router is full.. you have a bit backup problem..

Pick it up, turn it upside down and shake it really hard.. they're real tiny so you probably wont see them (unless their in big Byte clumps) but if you do it over a hard surface you might hear them..

PeoplesElbow

Pick it up, turn it upside down and shake it really hard.. they're real tiny so you probably wont see them (unless their in big Byte clumps) but if you do it over a hard surface you might hear them..

I've already done that btw.

Chris0nllyn

I'd update the router/modem (assuming they are one in the same)

You could be using an older 802.11 standard. You could be using an older modem that isn't using DOCSIS 3.0.

Personally, I like the Arris Surfboard

black dog

Free America

I always wondered what " cleaning the cash out meant "

Restitution

Metrocast's infrastructure is HORRIBLE! I have had them out 2 times already this year and 4 times in the last 6 months because of connection issues. Every time it has been either at the junction that feeds my street or the hub that feeds the neighborhood.

They insist that it has nothing to do with the antiquated cabling system that they use but it seems funny that these issues always seem to follow a weather event (i.e. snow, heavy rain, etc.)