Now we can expect public education industry to . . . .

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Get worse
Blow a gasket
Do nothing
Go into a deep deep depression
Need a puppy, Play Doh and warm blankie

betsy devos.jpg

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I honestly have no expectations. I have a lot of hope, but no expectations. I can't really get a feel for DeVos. I can only say that I was impressed to learn that she'd paid her own way through college, and never had student loans. That, in and of itself, is impressive, but not telling of the person she has become, or what she might do.

tommyjo

I honestly have no expectations. I have a lot of hope, but no expectations. I can't really get a feel for DeVos. I can only say that I was impressed to learn that she'd paid her own way through college, and never had student loans. That, in and of itself, is impressive, but not telling of the person she has become, or what she might do.

You are impressed that she didn't need to take out any student loans? Are you high?

So you have no idea who her parents were or how much less college cost in the 1970s.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You are impressed that she didn't need to take out any student loans? Are you high?
So you have no idea who her parents were or how much less college cost in the 1970s.

You must really be a dumb bitch. The price of gas per gallon in the 70's averaged in the .57 range. A new car about $3000. The average personal annual income was, hold on to your seat, $10,000! Bread about .30 a loaf. And rent, whoa, a whole $240. In 1970, the average yearly tuition was $358 for public four-year institutions and $1,561 for four-year private institutions. And a new house averaged around $23,600.

Relevantly speaking, dunce, college costs about the same now as it did in the 70's. You cannot apply today's economics to the 70's without compensating for inflation and other financial chicanery.

Hijinx

Well she got the job by the skin of her teeth. It was a tie and they had to bring in the Vice President to break the tie,

Why was it a tie? Two people who are republicans in name only voted against her.
Collins of Maine and Murkowski of Alaska.
(I wouldn't be surprised if both of them voted for Hillary)
As I have said before just because we have 52 Senators who claim to be Republican does not mean we have a lock on the Senate.
We have these two queens, and McCain and Graham, making it a crap shoot.
SCOTUS could go either way, although I believe a few Democrats will vote for Gorsuch.
We also have to remember that as a leader McConnell is weak---worse than weak.

SamSpade

If I may ...

You must really be a dumb bitch. The price of gas per gallon in the 70's averaged in the .57 range. A new car about $3000. The average personal annual income was, hold on to your seat, $10,000! Bread about .30 a loaf. And rent, whoa, a whole $240. In 1970, the average yearly tuition was $358 for public four-year institutions and $1,561 for four-year private institutions. And a new house averaged around $23,600.

Relevantly speaking, dunce, college costs about the same now as it did in the 70's. You cannot apply today's economics to the 70's without compensating for inflation and other financial chicanery.

AND...

Some of us (me) went to college in the 70's. And my parent's salary was comparably small, although we were middle class.

THIS is tj's response? Gonna be a long eight years (because reactions like THIS guarantees re-election).

SamSpade

SCOTUS could go either way, although I believe a few Democrats will vote for Gorsuch.

They should. They voted him in unanimously to the 10th Circuit. Most of the Dems making the biggest stink about him voted for him back in 2006.

He's a great choice. The only reason to vote against him is revenge for Garland. That's really the only reason.

Hijinx

They should. They voted him in unanimously to the 10th Circuit. Most of the Dems making the biggest stink about him voted for him back in 2006.

He's a great choice. The only reason to vote against him is revenge for Garland. That's really the only reason.

Yes I believe a few would like to vote for Gorsuch, but then you have Chuck the Schmuck threatening them with shunning if they do.

3CATSAILOR

AND...

Some of us (me) went to college in the 70's. And my parent's salary was comparably small, although we were middle class.

THIS is tj's response? Gonna be a long eight years (because reactions like THIS guarantees re-election).

This thing doesn't matter to me either way. But, when I see some repulsive responses in this Tread to a simple conversation, it tends to make a person wonder.

3CATSAILOR

If I may ...

I have no thoughts about the vote for Ed Sec. in either direction. But, I am concerned about your repulsive responses in this Thread. Try to be a little more civil towards the folks. It seems that you are taking some or all of this personally for some reason.

Hijinx

I have no thoughts about the vote for Ed Sec. in either direction. But, I am concerned about your repulsive responses in this Thread. Try to be a little more civil towards the folks. It seems that you are taking some or all of this personally for some reason.

Did you ever read a response from TJ?

If I may ...

You must really be a dumb bitch. The price of gas per gallon in the 70's averaged in the .57 range. Less. .32/g in '72. . A new car about $3000. My loaded Subaru BRAT was $4500, tags, tax, title. The average personal annual income was, hold on to your seat, $10,000! Not for working students. In 73-74 I made about $3k as a lifeguard. Bread about .30 a loaf. And rent, whoa, a whole $240. In 1970, the average yearly tuition was $358 for public four-year institutions and $1,561 for four-year private institutions. I was paying about $400 a semester x 3 semesters. And a new house averaged around $23,600.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Repulsive responses? "Responses"? There has been only one by me. Is using the word "bitch" and "dunce" repulsive to you? You don't know tj very well, do you? Maybe you didn't read the post directed at her and nhboy after Trump won the election? Now that would have been considered "repulsive" along with other choice adjectives. And I reckon rightly so.

As far as the new education secretary; wouldn't it be great if she ushered in vouchers and support for charter schools? The competition to public schools would decimate the education/teacher unions and and bring actual accountability to public schools.

If I may...

For working students, and everyone else as well, minimum wage in the 70's was about $1.60 an hour. Those BRAT's were one cool ride back then. As a lifeguard, you must have been paid more than minimum wage?

I was paid pretty well, but it was part time. I was not only the head lifeguard but also the Recreational Attendant overseeing the rec complex at a national laboratory.

I loved that BRAT. Terrific in the sugar sand on the beach, never got stuck in the worst of snowstorms in VT while skiing, towed a 16 foot wood boat with a 1500cc motor. I gave it to my brother who eventually sold it to a mutual friend. It finally died with 360K miles on it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Well she got the job by the skin of her teeth. It was a tie and they had to bring in the Vice President to break the tie,

Why was it a tie? Two people who are republicans in name only voted against her.
Collins of Maine and Murkowski of Alaska.
(I wouldn't be surprised if both of them voted for Hillary)
As I have said before just because we have 52 Senators who claim to be Republican does not mean we have a lock on the Senate.
We have these two queens, and McCain and Graham, making it a crap shoot.
We also have to remember that as a leader McConnell is weak---worse than weak.

We've had a year of whining from the D's that the SC can't work with just eight justices, passing on him is just going to accentuate their hypocrisy.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I loved that BRAT. Terrific in the sugar sand on the beach, never got stuck in the worst of snowstorms .....

:yay:

a friend had a GL-10 Wagon, HI / LO Transfer case [in between Jeeps] - went 4 wheeling all over West Virginia .... totaled it coming out of Waldorf one night - did an Endo

Kev_Russell

If I may ...

You're going to need to show your work here.

College tuition, held to constant dollars, has FAR outpaced inflation. This is easily demonstrable.

:yay:

a friend had a GL-10 Wagon, HI / LO Transfer case [in between Jeeps] - went 4 wheeling all over West Virginia .... totaled it coming out of Waldorf one night - did an Endo

Had an '85 GL-10 too. It WAS a lemon. A real friday afternoon special. The main chassis struts rusted thru as well as the body. Terrible motor. Too bad, because it was comfortable and looked nice.