Silenced in Senate, Democrat Warren speaks louder against Sessions

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Silenced on the Senate floor, Democrat Elizabeth Warren took her criticism of U.S. President Donald Trump's attorney general nominee out to the hallway - and found much larger platform.

Republican senators voted on Tuesday evening to end Warren's reading of a letter written 30 years ago by Martin Luther King Jr's widow that criticized Senator Jeff Sessions, the nominee to lead the Justice Department, for his civil rights record.

The action prompted a tide of support on Facebook for Warren, a darling of the political left, under a hashtag #LetLizSpeak" after she went outside the chamber and read the letter in a video posted on the site that drew more than 5 million views by Wednesday morning.

"The Republicans took away my right to read this letter on the floor - so I'm right outside, reading it now," she said.

The unusual rebuke of Warren came after the Republican-controlled Senate on Tuesday cleared the way for confirming Sessions as attorney general. A final vote was expected on Wednesday.

Warren took to the Senate floor to argue against the nomination, reading the letter Coretta Scott King wrote in 1986 about Sessions to the Senate Judiciary Committee, which ultimately rejected his nomination to be a federal judge.

Sessions had "used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens" when he prosecuted voting fraud cases when he was the U.S. attorney in Alabama," according to the letter read by Warren.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell cut her off, saying that she broke a Senate rule that "impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama." Senators voted 49-43 to silence Warren.

Warren has been a fiery critic of Trump since he launched his presidential campaign. Democrats have expressed concern about Sessions' record of controversial positions on race, immigration and criminal justice reform. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-sessions-idUSKBN15N1NE

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She's an annoying cow. She blathers and rants just to hear herself. If she ever said anything of substance it would be one thing, but she doesn't. Her whole life is a filibuster. I expect her to start reading the Declaration of Independence and her family's recipes any minute now.

Hijinx

Warren is running for President in 2020, and she is mouthing off now trying to set herself up for that.

Hopefully the Democrats by that time can find a decent candidate or we will have the same glass ceiling BS we had to put up with, with hillary.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Warren is running for President in 2020, and she is mouthing off now trying to set herself up for that.

She can't be that myopic and wrapped around herself. On some level she has to realize that she's a joke and hasn't a snowball's chance of securing the Democrat nomination in 2020, no matter how many toadies and yes-men she cocoons herself with. The progbot media is pushing her hard and trying to elevate her to relevancy, but the progs themselves don't like her. The DNC will use her as a tool, the way they used Bernie Sanders, but make no mistake - she will never get their backing.

glhs837

Power with Control

Hopefully the Democrats by that time can find a decent candidate or we will have the same glass ceiling BS we had to put up with, with hillary.

and that approach worked soooooo well for Mr. Owe'Malley

SamSpade

She was warned - and ignored it.

Ever watch Judge Judy? Ever see her tell someone shut the hell up or I will rule against you?
How does it work when they STILL won't shut up?

Warren's response was "hey I didn't say anything - I'm just reading something that's disparaging".
Doesn't work with my kids, either.

Toxick

Splat
Warren took to the Senate floor to argue against the nomination, reading the letter Coretta Scott King wrote in 1986 about Sessions to the Senate Judiciary Committee, which ultimately rejected his nomination to be a federal judge.

She thought she found a loophole around bad-mouthing another senator while on the floor.
She did not.

See you in Toledo, Ms. Warren

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
" Silenced on the Senate floor, Democrat Elizabeth Warren took her criticism of U.S. President Donald Trump's attorney general nominee out to the hallway - and found much larger platform.

Republican senators voted on Tuesday evening to end Warren's reading of a letter written 30 years ago by Martin Luther King Jr's widow that criticized Senator Jeff Sessions, the nominee to lead the Justice Department, for his civil rights record.

The action prompted a tide of support on Facebook for Warren, a darling of the political left, under a hashtag #LetLizSpeak" after she went outside the chamber and read the letter in a video posted on the site that drew more than 5 million views by Wednesday morning.

"The Republicans took away my right to read this letter on the floor - so I'm right outside, reading it now," she said.

The unusual rebuke of Warren came after the Republican-controlled Senate on Tuesday cleared the way for confirming Sessions as attorney general. A final vote was expected on Wednesday.

Sessions had "used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens" when he prosecuted voting fraud cases when he was the U.S. attorney in Alabama," according to the letter read by Warren.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell cut her off, saying that she broke a Senate rule that "impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama." Senators voted 49-43 to silence Warren.

Warren has been a fiery critic of Trump since he launched his presidential campaign. Democrats have expressed concern about Sessions' record of controversial positions on race, immigration and criminal justice reform. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-sessions-idUSKBN15N1NE

all you have to do is vote to shut her up? Why haven't you guys been doing this all along?

Hijinx

She can't be that myopic and wrapped around herself. On some level she has to realize that she's a joke and hasn't a snowball's chance of securing the Democrat nomination in 2020, no matter how many toadies and yes-men she cocoons herself with. The progbot media is pushing her hard and trying to elevate her to relevancy, but the progs themselves don't like her. The DNC will use her as a tool, the way they used Bernie Sanders, but make no mistake - she will never get their backing.

I am not saying she will be their pick, but Yes. She is stupid enough to believe she has a chance, and she IS running.

By the way some members of the MLK family are against Warren using the letter to attack Sessions.
http://www.allenbwest.com/matt-palumbo/aldeva-king-scolds-liz-warren

Last edited: